Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,696 times

Advertisements

Im a 19 college student living in Atlanta and im transferring to either Floridal International University or University of Miami depending on where i get accepted(hopefully UM). I've been to Miami a couple of times but not long enough for me to get a a real "feel" of the city if you know what i mean. I'm Haitian but at first glance a lot of people assume im Dominican because i have light skin,long curly hair,light eyes etc. etc. so as a result most people dont really question my ethnicity but in Atlanta when i do tell people im Haitian i dont really get negative reactions. however ive heard that people really look down on Haitians in Miami and that they're associated with a lot of negative things. Basicly, i dont want to move to a city where i wont feel "accepted" or looked down upon because of my ethnicity, especially since i don't know how to speak spanish and i heard in Miami its almost necessary to know how.
So can anyone give me an input?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM

160 posts, read 311,051 times
You'll be fine, the perception of Haitians has gotten better since the late '80's-early 90's in my opinion. Many of the first waves of Haitian immigrants were poor and clustered in enclaves in Little Haiti and NE Miami so there was and still is a stigma attached to them to a certain extent. I went to middle school in Opa Locka in the mid-90's and among the black students calling someone a "Haitian" was the worst possible insult. I remember Haitian classmates of mine who never brough up they were Haitian, some even said they were Bahamian. Which is ironic considering that many second gen Haitians have copied black inner city "culture", for lack of a better term. But, as a whole, the perception of Haitians has gotten better, as their numbers grew and more of them become middle class. Little Haiti is still not viewed well, because it has a pretty bad crime problem, other cities like North Miami and North Miami Beach both have large Haitian populations and are a bit better in that respect.

Regarding Spanish, you won't find it to be issue with Hispanics who grew up in Miami which are who you'd most interact with going to FIU or UM, most if not all speak English and prefer it to Spanish, like myself.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Spanish is not needed at all unless you are planning on going to Hialeah.

As for the perceptions of Haitians I think they are a hard working, appreciative group of people. I worked in a hardware store in right by little Haiti for a summer. The Haitian customers were always the most gracious ones and the only customers who would tip when we had to put heavy things in their cars etc.. I think one of the negative things associated with them are there is still a decent amount if illegal Haitains. But in recent years there has to been much conteoversy. As long as there is nothing you are doing wrong outage nothing to worry about. Miami's Haitian population is large and just another part of Miami. If someone has a problem they aren't worth meeting or dealing with.

Best of luck in getting into the schools.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Perceptions depends where you are at. If you are at college, and you are talking with a civil engineering student who is a Haitian, the perception is great. If you are (or work) at the Boynton Beach Walmart or mall, you will think they are the worst people around.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Spanish is not needed at all unless you are planning on going to Hialeah.
Hilarious. My Italian relatives (Mom's cousins) moved from New Jersey to Hialeah. It was "everything" when they arrived and now I hear it's as Cuban as Little Havana.

Haitians? I've met some in service businesses while in South Florida on vacation. I get to practice my French with them. They seem cool to me.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 AM

683 posts, read 1,468,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqu92 View Post
Im a 19 college student living in Atlanta and im transferring to either Floridal International University or University of Miami depending on where i get accepted(hopefully UM). I've been to Miami a couple of times but not long enough for me to get a a real "feel" of the city if you know what i mean. I'm Haitian but at first glance a lot of people assume im Dominican because i have light skin,long curly hair,light eyes etc. etc. so as a result most people dont really question my ethnicity but in Atlanta when i do tell people im Haitian i dont really get negative reactions. however ive heard that people really look down on Haitians in Miami and that they're associated with a lot of negative things. Basicly, i dont want to move to a city where i wont feel "accepted" or looked down upon because of my ethnicity, especially since i don't know how to speak spanish and i heard in Miami its almost necessary to know how.

Thanks in advance
Atlanta is the best place to live if you have dark skin and speak no Spanish.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM

888 posts, read 886,234 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance
It is an interesting question about a subjective topic, plus people on this site will try to put into the practice the theory of reflectivity to alter perception.

In any case, both my GF and I have a very positive perception of the Haitian populace in Miami. I actually have a few close acquaintances that are Haitian that I would not hesitate to call whenever I feel like it, and I work with a couple who are a lot of fun to be around.

My GF and I have discussed it and we have said that there seems to be 5 main types of African origin-type culture in Miami. Haitians, Dominicans, Cubans, English-speaking Caribbean, and African-American (families in the area for generations).

My perception has less to do about I feel about them, but rather the vibe I get from the people with whom I interact. It just seems to me that Haitians seem to have a very positive attitude about life in general here, and seem more happy in life, than say, the African-American population. The second happiest population seems to be people from Bahamas or Jamaica, they give me a good vibe as well and seem pretty laid back.

Of course it is all generalization, which in some ways means that a lot of how you feel you are going to be accepted is the type of attitude you bring to the table, and that is based on your own baggage and insecurities, etc. If you speak French or Créole - or are even interested in learning it, or want to discover the culture without buying a ticket to Haïti, I would not think twice and I'd move down here in a heartbeat.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,193,988 times
Miami is fine for anyone, no one thinks in terms of colors or ethnicities here. That's a Hollywood thing.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM

888 posts, read 886,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Miami is fine for anyone, no one thinks in terms of colors or ethnicities here. That's a Hollywood thing.
LOL, I'll bite...like I've got nothing better to do with my life.
Miami is not fine for anyone.
Many move away.
I like brown skin, so I do think in terms of colors, and I do analyze ethnicity, especially when I am out at the thousands of restaurants serving cuisine from varied parts of the world, etc.
And the Hollywood part, well ... no comment.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,565,410 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance
miami is better for you than atlanta is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami