Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:15 PM

70 posts, read 243,615 times

Advertisements

Would enforcing income taxes help to raise income levels, reduce crime, better schools, better roads, no more tolls, better housing, reduced property taxes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
All I have to say is, especially on the first and last one,is WOW!

How is taxing somebody income going to reduce crime, increase income (come on, think about that!), improve schools (Ever heard of accountability?), improve roads (if you think the roads in Florida are bad, you have lived here for way too long, Florida overspends so much on pavement projects and what not, but traffic is a different story), get rid of tolls (have you ever been to New Jersey?), improve housing (come on, please, explain this one, PLEASE), and reduce PROPERTY TAXES (A. Ever been to New Jersey? B. Aren't you just paying somewhere else if our property taxes WERE to be reduced in exchange for a state income tax).

Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM

70 posts, read 243,615 times
to compelled to reply,

you really got me laughing here....yea it might have been a stupid suggestion...but i just want to just throw out there for the public to respond....well by taxing everyone...they can put some money into the schools....drop that FCAT crap....that accountability crap stresses out the teachers and student it does not work and the schools down here are still subpar....yes i have been to Jersey and i don't understand your last question....

Old 01-10-2008, 05:47 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohope View Post
to compelled to reply,

you really got me laughing here....yea it might have been a stupid suggestion...but i just want to just throw out there for the public to respond....well by taxing everyone...they can put some money into the schools....drop that FCAT crap....that accountability crap stresses out the teachers and student it does not work and the schools down here are still subpar....yes i have been to Jersey and i don't understand your last question....
Ok, now I see what you are saying. You were just trying to throw some key points to the discussion, I'm sorry :embarrassed:. On the last question, what I was saying is that in New Jersey the property tax situation is even worse than Florida yet they have a very high income tax.

As far as the FCAT, the No Child Left Behind Act means some form of state test must be given. I don't think theres anything wrong with the standardized tests as something of a benchmark standard, but I agree too much stress is being placed on one test to the point were public schools around the nation are just teaching kids how to take their respective state test. I think a better designed test than the FCAT that stresses real world skills (have you seen the questions on that thing??) could work well. I don't see anything wrong with a standards based curriculum, the problem is the standards themself IMO.

Also, the really low test scores in the high schools are a major problem. A majority of students, ranging from troubled inner city students to affluent, straight A honors students fail the 9th and 10th grade reading exam, even at some of the "Best" schools. That's a problem, even if second time passing rates are high.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
This is just a question, not a proclamation, spawned by the OP's question. I just wonder what you all think of this:

Some states with state income tax have lower property tax (others, obviously still have high property tax). All states have similar costs, albeit in varying amounts (ie. they all have to pay for education, roads, etc.).

Does it make logical sense, then, that a state without income tax would have a higher property (or other) tax to pay for these same things? Where else should the funds come from if all taxes are low in states without income tax?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
This is just a question, not a proclamation, spawned by the OP's question. I just wonder what you all think of this:

Some states with state income tax have lower property tax (others, obviously still have high property tax). All states have similar costs, albeit in varying amounts (ie. they all have to pay for education, roads, etc.).

Does it make logical sense, then, that a state without income tax would have a higher property (or other) tax to pay for these same things? Where else should the funds come from if all taxes are low in states without income tax?
You bring up a good point. All states must earn revenue to pay for all state services. How those revenues are made is at the state's discretion. I think the choice of having no personal income tax is a good choice since wages here are actually pretty low. Why try to wring drops out of a dry sponge when you can softly squeeze the wet sponge? The wet sponge being property tax. Property tax hits the wealthiest hardest. My question is, where has all this money gone in the past few years as values have skyrocketed? Our budgets should be overflowing!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
My question is, where has all this money gone in the past few years as values have skyrocketed? Our budgets should be overflowing!
Budgets are overflowing. Look at the numbers. The problem is it's all been spent on huge increases in salaries and benefits, useless stuff like senior centers instead of roads and bridges, and expensive vanity building projects.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
And how much money was wasted on thousands of unneeded 4-way stop signs or garbage like this?

Well at least I have a place to empty the trash bag from in the car now, or dump an old computer..LOL!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
And how much money was wasted on thousands of unneeded 4-way stop signs or garbage like this?

Well at least I have a place to empty the trash bag from in the car now, or dump an old computer..LOL!
Some of us feel that is money well spent.

(Sarcasm).

Really, I'd rather have traditional lights than those stupid things. I know they have those in many new western cities (such as Parkland).

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

Wow, that has got to be the most useless thing I've seen ever. To think that my taxes paid for that really makes me mad. I suspect little projects like that are just used to give corrupt politicians and the contractors ways to steal money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami