Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM

168 posts, read 425,018 times

Advertisements

Have any of you done this recently? I'm to the point where I'm desperate to get any job and I feel like the only reason I'm not being hired is because I live out of state. I'm at the point where I am about to quit my job and move down and take whatever position I can get and then see if I can at least get an interview because right now I haven't even gotten that. It's days like these I wish I never bothered to get a degree (a masters no less) and never did all the internships I've done because I feel like it was all a waste. I should have gotten a medical degree or went into law enforcement because teaching jobs aren't hiring anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 AM

18 posts, read 30,613 times
I moved here 3 months ago and cannot get a call back. I have worked for prestigious 3 letter acronym agencies right next to the White House. The problem here is the "What ever I can get" positions are filled by people that already live here and can act quickly upon them. Not to mention with your resume it will look as if you plan on using then to pay your way down here, they don't like that and will skip to a local candidate.

As far as me I work in technology but they don't build IT centers in Hurricane alleys so its useless here for me. I can tell you that when I was leaving DC they had a new DC public school administrator who was talking of paying kids to go to school and increasing teacher salary's out the roof (up to 90,000.) check into that. It may be "ruff" areas but during the day and school season its not bad at all.

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=engl...shington%2C+DC

So in Miami the "What ever I can get" positions don't exist. trust me I'm ending up working part time at a computer store when just last year I was working in business continuity for gov. (end of world scenarios). Just to get the store position I had to show up to a Group Interview consisting of 18 candidates and we were all thrown against each other right then.

Not to mention that the employers here are greatly taking advantage of the flooding unemployment by offering the best possible lowest wage you could work on and switch and bate, such as posting for full time positions only to find out they were only hiring part time and the lowest wage possible, I actually over herd someone getting hired well will call it hired but basically they offered the gentlemen 100% commission only! to sell audio and video equipment he would not get a base pay so he's working for peanuts and almost free. his paychek will be like 50bucks a week I bet. sad

Congrats on your Masters Im here cuz my girl is getting her Doctrate so we only have 3 more years and im moving back :-)

Last edited by 322; 08-14-2009 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 PM

168 posts, read 425,018 times
Thanks for the information, but staying here isn't an option to me. I am living in a pretty bad situation right now and I would rather be broke in Florida (among a few other states) than broke and cold here. I also don't care much for the politics in DC and the attitude of most people (imagine someone that came here from the NYC metro saying that, but it's true. Everyone here has a holier than thou political stance.) I'm even considering going back to school in Florida or one of the other places I want to live, getting a degree in a medical field, and hope maybe in 3 or 4 years someone will actually fix the economy (I know nothing of politics so there is no connotation in that. Although I think all politicians are thieves).

Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Thanks for the information, but staying here isn't an option to me. I am living in a pretty bad situation right now and I would rather be broke in Florida (among a few other states) than broke and cold here. I also don't care much for the politics in DC and the attitude of most people (imagine someone that came here from the NYC metro saying that, but it's true. Everyone here has a holier than thou political stance.) I'm even considering going back to school in Florida or one of the other places I want to live, getting a degree in a medical field, and hope maybe in 3 or 4 years someone will actually fix the economy (I know nothing of politics so there is no connotation in that. Although I think all politicians are thieves).
I just received an email from a friend who teaches math in Broward County. He verified that a lot of teachers were let go, but none of them were math teachers and, in fact, Broward is looking for math teachers.

With alternative certification, all you have to do is pass the test and you're a math teacher. There are two certification levels, 6-8, and 6-12. If you're considering a medical career, you have to be pretty decent in math - you might be able to certify for middle school.

If you can't teach math or science, your chances of getting a teaching position in either county are pretty slim...

Old 08-14-2009, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 30,613 times
DC was the quickest example I could give you to show you that options are out there other then So-Flodoooh! But my intention was to show that in this area, where one in ten Miami locals are unemployed your chances of finding a job are slim.

You seem dedicated to moving if you decided to move down here I will save you a spot next to mine at the homeless shelter..just kidding, well I’m not sure yet this may end up being a true statement.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
But at least it doesn't snow....LOL. I think putting up with cold weather and making a good living wins over struggling somewhere else any day.

How can anyone enjoy life if they have to worry about being able to eat and have shelter?

Old 08-15-2009, 04:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,066,112 times
Quote:
D-fens, If you have family that can be a support network then I would move wherever they are. These are very uncertain times and ending up homeless is not an impossibility with this economy. Florida in general has very limited career opportunities because everybody wants to live here and they will take any salary, and also this state is hit by hurricanes quite often (businesses close for days, and sometimes for weeks, plus many times there is property damage) Many big companies do not want to invest here, and it makes sense.

Honestly, if are not bilingual(english, spanish), you even have less opportunity here in Miami if you wanted to get "any job" as many service jobs require so.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 PM

56 posts, read 154,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
D-fens, If you have family that can be a support network then I would move wherever they are. These are very uncertain times and ending up homeless is not an impossibility with this economy. Florida in general has very limited career opportunities because everybody wants to live here and they will take any salary, and also this state is hit by hurricanes quite often (businesses close for days, and sometimes for weeks, plus many times there is property damage) Many big companies do not want to invest here, and it makes sense.

Honestly, if are not bilingual(english, spanish), you even have less opportunity here in Miami if you wanted to get "any job" as many service jobs require so.
Out of curiosity, how are the jobs for skilled trade workers? Constantly having stuff torn down and needing to be rebuilt sounds like unlimited job security in the welding field!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,066,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo_Guy View Post
Out of curiosity, how are the jobs for skilled trade workers? Constantly having stuff torn down and needing to be rebuilt sounds like unlimited job security in the welding field!
You mean by hurricanes? They don't come every year, so you cannot count on that. The only ones that have really affected us in the past 20 years were in 1992 and 2005

Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 PM

118 posts, read 485,734 times
Default Teach Abroad

Teaching jobs are easy to find if you have a B.A. The U.S. sucks right right as far as finding teachings job where you won't be killed by some "chip on the shoulder" kiddie, but consider Japan, Thailand or Indonesia.

Check out www.adventuretravelabroad.com and just enter the country you're interested in. At least go there for a year, save up enough to survive for 6 months, then move any city you want in the U.S. Take your time finding a job. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Have any of you done this recently? I'm to the point where I'm desperate to get any job and I feel like the only reason I'm not being hired is because I live out of state. I'm at the point where I am about to quit my job and move down and take whatever position I can get and then see if I can at least get an interview because right now I haven't even gotten that. It's days like these I wish I never bothered to get a degree (a masters no less) and never did all the internships I've done because I feel like it was all a waste. I should have gotten a medical degree or went into law enforcement because teaching jobs aren't hiring anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami