Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,297,343 times

Advertisements

I'd like to move out of state (out of Florida), but I'm holding fire until the economy picks up a bit and companies start hiring again, rather than firing. I dread to think what would happen if I lost my job here, because as a non-Spanish speaker, my prospects of finding another decent job in Miami wouldn't be good at all (not to sound too pessimistic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,254,298 times
EnjoytheSilence,

Even though I do know spanish, I perfectly understand and agree with your point. I myself would like to move from Miami in about a year or 2. However, I just don't feel comfortable to just pack it in and move without having a job lined up in the area that I'll like to move to, nor do I have the big bank roll to carry me over for a year or more without a job during the transition. If I was ready to relocate even a couple of years ago I probably would have taken more of a chance to move with no work. Today, there are just too many highly qualified people in many careers that are unemployed or underemployed. At this time, I feel that moving without a decent job lined up is not worth it especially when I am currently adequately employed in Miami. Either way, I hope to be out of here within the next couple of years.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM

245 posts, read 1,172,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But at least it doesn't snow....LOL. I think putting up with cold weather and making a good living wins over struggling somewhere else any day.

How can anyone enjoy life if they have to worry about being able to eat and have shelter?

AMEN BRO

Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,297,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
EnjoytheSilence,

Even though I do know spanish, I perfectly understand and agree with your point. I myself would like to move from Miami in about a year or 2. However, I just don't feel comfortable to just pack it in and move without having a job lined up in the area that I'll like to move to, nor do I have the big bank roll to carry me over for a year or more without a job during the transition. If I was ready to relocate even a couple of years ago I probably would have taken more of a chance to move with no work. Today, there are just too many highly qualified people in many careers that are unemployed or underemployed. At this time, I feel that moving without a decent job lined up is not worth it especially when I am currently adequately employed in Miami. Either way, I hope to be out of here within the next couple of years.
Same here. We're just trying to save, for now. As much as I'd like to just up sticks and get the hell out of dodge, it's neither practical nor feasible and I'm not up for taking such a huge risk. Besides, the economy is way too lousy everywhere and I don't see any real improvement on the horizon as of yet.

That's why it irks me when people say "if you don't like it here, keave", as if it were that simple. In the meantime, I try to make the best of it, or at least try not to let Miami's problems get under my skin too much.

Good luck to you anyway...your time will come.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,572,618 times
I agree with the poster who said go out of country. If I had known what opportunities teachers have to travel and live overseas, I would have switched majors to teaching. Take advantage!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 14,553 times
well if you come to Miami Beach you can get a job the next day in the restaurants.....low pay (most pay cash) as a waiter 4.23 a hour plus tips so about $70 a night.. all you got to do is walk in and you got a job. if you need the names ,,let me know! But you will not be happy!!!! Miami Beach is Trash.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,674,164 times
When I quit my job in NY to move here, they told me if I ever decided to move back I would have job waiting. I know they meant it. Just playing a waiting game now until lose ends are tied up, until I move back.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,992,232 times
d-fens, what other location were you considering, and how did you happen to pick florida as one of your 2 choices? im no doubt older than you are, but been down the road trying to find a job out of state, and pple are right, they will look at locals before you, unless its for an upper executive position. i understand you maybe in a tough spot, cold and broke isnt a pretty picture, but broke with limited options is never desirable even if the scenic ocean is at your backdoor. the idea of going someplace you have support is also a good one, broke and alone is still worse.

im not sure how you might fund going back to school, but if that is your goal pick a school that has a top 10 rating in what ever program you intend to study. it really can make a difference when fighting the competition for a job. i understand your desire to move, but dont leap before you know how deep the water will be. formulate a plan with several options. to me florida doesnt seem the ideal place for you, given the economy and from pples comments. law enforcement, yes there are jobs in that field, and having an education im sure you would qualify with many departments. but agencies are cutting back on hiring there too, and that career path isnt meant for everyone. you would need to be sure that was something you would like to do. i tried it and didnt like it.

best advice i can give you is formulate a workable plan before moving anywhere. ive sent so many resumes i could paper the house with them, its a very frustrating and ego deflating process. i also thought of school when i was in your situation, but i had a master's degree already, i wanted to earn money, not be a full time student again. you didnt give a location, but ill assume you are in the north somewhere. if you are just interested in a job to build on and more than just the couple locations you prefer, i would try concentrating my search on areas of the country that have not been hit quite as hard by the economic crisis.

one poster mentioned teaching overseas, yes that can be an exciting adventure but make sure of the company that recruits you for a possible job, and of the school there. i have a friend from the uk, that is now in japan teaching. he is miserable, the school officials treat him with disrespect and his salary is very low. he has a one year assignment and is broke and lonely. he had even been to school in japan for a time and knows the language. he wanted to return there but went through the same thing, sending resumes and no positive word back. but he felt a desperation sending resumes when back in the uk, so he leaped at the first bite that offered him a position. now he is sorry he didnt wait. so if you try that option do research on the schools, if you use a recruiter that lists many positions with schools in asia, insist on talking to applicants that are now working overseas. its a long swim back to the states.

you to be a smart person. formulate a good plan before jumping from your present location. if i can be of any more help, you are welcome to send me a message. good luck.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:01 PM

62 posts, read 218,851 times
Las vegas needs teachers, and the pay is pretty good compared to cost of living. I would not move to Miami, it is expensive here, and tough to find good work. Moving costs more than you think.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 22,448 times
Orlando and St. Petersburg were looking for teachers a few months back...check the job boards and especially the state of florida job board (my florida).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami