Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:14 AM

471 posts, read 621,383 times

Advertisements

Why is the African population in Miami so large? I do understand why the Spanish speaking American is big but what I do not understand is why the African population is so hugemongous, compared to the demographics of other major U.S. cities.

I am not saying that is something bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 09:38 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Why is the African population in Miami so large? I do understand why the Spanish speaking American is big but what I do not understand is why the African population is so hugemongous, compared to the demographics of other major U.S. cities.

It's the south and it's the East coast. The rest of the country West Coast, Midwest doesn't have a large black population, Texas being the exception. You will see large population of blacks anywhere in Florida's Eastern Coast in cities like Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, Ft Pierce, Cocoa. We are also right next Bahamas and Haiti and we get a good amount of immigrants from those countries.

This will answer all of your questions, go to page 52(on the document not on your pdf reader, page 62 in my pdf reader)

http://www.miamidade.gov/baab/librar...midade2007.pdf

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 10-25-2015 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 05:03 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:

Do you mean African-Africans? or African-Americans?

Old 10-26-2015, 03:26 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
The African population is very tiny in Miami. Those who are here are helped by direct flights from Miami to West Africa. But most Africans in SFL live up in Broward. No FL African population comes anywhere close to the numbers in cities further North, such as D.C., Chicago, Denver, and of course NYC.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,747 times
Quote:
Those who are here are helped by direct flights from Miami to West Africa.
There are no non-stop flights from anywhere in Florida to Africa.

There are also no direct flights from anywhere in Florida to Africa, meaning a same flight number thru flight via a stop.

FWIW - A direct flight does not have the same meaning as a nonstop flight.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:02 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP11 View Post
There are no non-stop flights from anywhere in Florida to Africa.

There are also no direct flights from anywhere in Florida to Africa, meaning a same flight number thru flight via a stop.

FWIW - A direct flight does not have the same meaning as a nonstop flight.

My apologies, I misspoke. What I meant was that one can get to points in West Africa (as well as to cities like Johannesburg, Addis Ababa, etc.) FROM Miami without going to a city or country way out of your way to connect. I didn't mean direct flight so much as I meant traveling in a fairly direct line. One can get to major cities in Africa through direct flights to points in Europe, which is the same way one would often do so from NYC for more affordable flights, but for West Africa, one can do so often with fewer connections. So for instance one might fly from NYC to London to Madrid to Dakar via partnerships on American Airlines. But from Miami using AA partnerships, one only has to go directly from Miami to Madrid and on to Dakar. It actually is slightly faster and certainly easier than the same destination with the same airline from NYC.

From many other cities, you actually have to fly backwards, or to a point otherwise way out of your way, to make it to a major African city. Like you could be in a city a central state and have to fly backwards to Chicago or LA because they are your closest major hub, then take a direct flight, just to get the cheapest fare the airline offers for getting from your city to Accra. That just makes the already difficult trip longer and more stressful.

Miami doesn't have actual direct flights, but Miami DOES have an international airport that lends itself to reasonable travel back and forth to major African cities without going too far out of your way. Many other cities in the US do not. Those flights are subject to somewhat more reasonable prices, and to the use of frequent flier miles, versus the extra hoops you have to jump through from many other locations to travel to cities like Accra, Lagos, Dakar, Johannesburg, Cairo, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Dar-es-Salaam, etc.

Miami USED to have direct flights to Cape Town. American Airlines is also considering opening up direct flights from Miami to cities in West Africa and/or the nation of South Africa in the future: American Airlines Contemplates Miami-Africa Flights - TheStreet

----

Nonetheless, I still have no idea what the OP is talking about. The African population in Miami is tiny compared to other major cities, even if there is SOME, and even if there is a reason to think it might possibly increase a little bit in the future if flight options expand.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Nonetheless, I still have no idea what the OP is talking about.
That can apply to many, if not most, of the OP's posts.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 PM

471 posts, read 621,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Do you mean African-Africans? or African-Americans?
Black non-Hispanic residents.

1/4 of Miami-Dade is black.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,747 times
Here is a disclaimer. I do what you are talking about for a living. This is my profession so I can safely say you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

To start off with this:

Quote:
Quote:
It actually is slightly faster and certainly easier than the same destination with the same airline from NYC.
If you fly from NYC via MAD to Dakar it is some 800 miles shorter than flying from MIA to MAD to Dakar due to the shape of the planet. Im not sure you grasp how distance works on a longhaul basis when this planet is a sphere. Here is a good tool for you to start out with:

http://www.gcmap.com/

Quote:
Miami doesn't have actual direct flights, but Miami DOES have an international airport that lends itself to reasonable travel back and forth to major African cities without going too far out of your way. Many other cities in the US do not. Those flights are subject to somewhat more reasonable prices, and to the use of frequent flier miles, versus the extra hoops you have to jump through from many other locations to travel to cities like Accra, Lagos, Dakar, Johannesburg, Cairo, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Dar-es-Salaam, etc.
Miami is one of the worst places in the continental USA for African connections from a geographic standpoint when you are looking at Chicago to the east. So you are completely wrong. Forgetting about ATL which actually has a nonstop to Africa you could pick any city in the midwest/eastern seaboard and you could find a quicker connection than MIA can offer via places like Madrid (or any other Euro connect point)

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. Every large international airport this side of DFW can offer more or less similarly priced African connections and in some cases nonstop flights. Revenue management is a dynamic science and the demand to Africa apart from a few O&Ds is almost nonexistant. Again, MIA is out of the way for African connections via Europe. So unless you are flying MIA-GIG-JNB or some similar route via Latin America to the southern part of the continent your statement is patently false. This latest example almost never exists due to the demand which dictates frequencies few and far between.

Quote:
Miami USED to have direct flights to Cape Town. American Airlines is also considering opening up direct flights from Miami to cities in West Africa and/or the nation of South Africa in the future: American Airlines Contemplates Miami-Africa Flights - TheStreet
What do the historical flights of a highly unprofitable carrier like SAA have to do with anything? SAA also used to fly to FLL, that does not change much in the area of demand. Whether SAA returns to MIA or not does not change the fact that there hardly is any traffic between 2 points. The reason is simple - routes are placed for political capital all the time at carriers that are basket cases of government turmoil. They are not sound economic indicators.

Do you also believe there is enough Serbians in Chicago to warrant a profitable flight to Belgrade just because JAT used to fly there with DC-10s back in the day? What about Saudis in Orlando?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:31 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Black non-Hispanic residents.

1/4 of Miami-Dade is black.
Once again, one of your posts is complete nonsense.

According to the U.S. Government Census figures, as of 2014, 18.9% of Miami-Dade is Black. Statewide the figure is 16.8%.

Miami-Dade County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

So either you don't understand race, or you don't understand demographics statistics, or you don't understand fractions and percentages.

Which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami