Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:22 PM

874 posts, read 900,723 times

Advertisements

Honestly, traffic in Brickell is gridlocked. And if your husband is working long hours, that makes it even worse.

One poster suggested Miami Springs... houses there are old by Miami standards, and you're going to need to be prepared to do renovation and constant maintenance. But it's really nice, and there's a lot of great places to walk and ride bikes. Also, good public schools. (Just got back from a trip from the Springs as a matter of fact) Without traffic, it's about 20 minutes from Brickell. You can find a small house there starting in the 300s.. but there are multimillion dollar homes as well.

I also like the area just west of the turnpike near the Dolphin expressway (zip codes 33182/33184). More suburban, close to the megamalls in Doral, again, prices start in the 300s. Public schools are okay, and the elite Belen Jesuit school is nearby.

You can find a small, older home in Doral in that price range as well. However, traffic here is equally bad as Brickell, and there's no need to deal with that twice in one commute.

As you go South along the metrorail, there are also properties near Dadeland, etc. Usually a good home is a bit more than $350K there. And clearly, train will save you the gridlocked traffic.

Really a lot will depend on what sort of loan you qualify for. FHA is kind of a problem here, sellers don't want to accept offers, and a lot of homes would have difficulty meeting the standards. Make sure you make smart offers, properties that will appraise (unless you have cash to bring to the closing table) and that will not show major issues during inspection.

Actually, there are even some new construction projects in that price range, with a slighty shorter commute than what most people are suggesting in Broward.

Since you're doing your research... early tomorrow use google maps to check out possible commutes. But really nothing can prepare you for the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 01:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
As the poster above mentioned, you can look in the Dadeland/Kendall areas for cheaper homes and your husband can drive to a metrorail station. You can also look by Miami Lakes (your price range is a little low for Miami Lakes also) and a shorter drive to the metrorail station in Hialeah. Or look around Miami Lakes and try to up your budget a little. A Miami Lakes commute would be in the 45min range. If he works late at night its not even that if he leaves after say 7:30pm

Is $350k 100% the top of your budget, as in the most you can afford or is it the most you want to pay? I would assume moving for an attorney job here the pay would be pretty decent and the different COL has been taken into account.

The traffic does suck, and its bad from 3:30pm-7:30pm going out of downtown. I find rush hour shorter in the morning, but the traffic is just as bad. Once or twice a week I drive with rush hour traffic out of downtown north, its miserable. Most days my commute is a 3 min walk and 90 second metrmover ride.

I would say be open into renting an apartment in Downtown for a year or maybe two. Lots of people have dogs in the apartments and QOL is so much nicer with no commute IMO.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:43 PM

31 posts, read 33,575 times
I've read about the loan problems in Miami. Thanks for bringing that up. We won't be paying in full cash. Ha. This commite is what worries me the most. I guess we could just stay downtown, but I just question that with my daughter for longer than a few years. We have a lot to think about! Thanks everyone!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,973,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyluckyPenny View Post
I am so happy I got alot of people to tespond to my question. It helps a lot. I have several members of my family move from Miami Dade to Broward in the 90s. I have been fully prepped on what Miami brings to the table, and it is goid to hear the same things feom others whom are not family. Unfortunately, the legal market is not as great in the other cities close to my family as Miami. There are good, firms. Just not what my husband was looking for. So it's a toss up. Take a hit hit withhousing, or a hit with the career. I think it's kind of funny....that you all assume we are a white family wanting to stay away from any diversity. I got my laugh for the day.haha!
True we could have assumed you were black or Asian my bad

However if you come from MO I doubt your mother tongue is Spanish. Most of us are not warning you about staying away from minorities. That's impossible in Miami or Broward. We are warning about living in an area where most people speaks a language you might not fully understand.

For the record I speak Spanish frequently and I live in an area that is 70% hispanic so it's not like I'm warning you against "those people". I'm just not sugarcoat it. I've been listening to the same complaints from transplants for decades and I think it's only fair to inform people that this ain't Kansas.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:52 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,973,894 times
Well in case you can deal with some Spanish...

I doubt you will find an affordable SFH close to Metrorail but maybe in Kendall or Sunset or 104 st around 107 or 117 ave you could find something affordable. Traffic is gonna be bad but at least your husband don't have to drive so many miles. I personally don't mind taking the metro. It's only 20 minutes from Dadeland to Brickell. US1 traffic can be bad but I think the SW highways have worst traffic. Also driving regular streets is probably safer than driving on I-95 or the Turnpike.

Miami Springs is also a good suggestion. I like that area too and you won't need to use our dangerous highways if you live there.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 AM

Even if you speak Spanish pretty well, expect some adjustment getting here. There are a lot of folks who speak with a Carribean flavor, and I found it hard to understand when I got here, even though I'd already lived in Spanish speaking countries for 4 years.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:25 PM

31 posts, read 33,575 times
Yes, I speak Spanish. My husband doesn't :/ Although, he is the type not to care. You all are right about the Spanish being different in Miami. I couldn't figure out what the heck "dale" meant for the longest time....and I'm still not sure!

Old 02-19-2016, 03:35 PM

I always think of give it to me.. but I guess there are a bunch of translations. Just remember... if people want something they will figure out a way to communicate to you in English. If you want something from them.... you probably should do it in Spanish.

I actually know a ton of people here who don't speak English, and are perfectly happy.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:12 PM

32 posts, read 26,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I always think of give it to me..
To me it's more accurately translated into "go ahead, you can take" or "go ahead". In the context of them wanting to see something, I can see how you would come to the conclusion "give it to me."

Fun fact, Russians have a similar slang called Davai.

I haven't looked into if those are related (since it's Cuban slang, it could have been introduced into Cuba through the USSR)

Old 02-19-2016, 05:54 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,833,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA4 View Post
To me it's more accurately translated into "go ahead, you can take" or "go ahead". In the context of them wanting to see something, I can see how you would come to the conclusion "give it to me."

Fun fact, Russians have a similar slang called Davai.

I haven't looked into if those are related (since it's Cuban slang, it could have been introduced into Cuba through the USSR)
"Davai" actually does mean "give it to me" in Russian, when translated literally.

But the most common every day meanings are:

1. "let's" as in let's go do something
2. "Go ahead", sometime in a very imperative manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami