Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 9,315 times

Advertisements

I was a bit sad tonight and somehow came across this website. I am a divorced mom w 2 kids (both dads are BAD with childsupport ...). I do well careerwise .. decent salary over $100K and have purchased a decent 3/2 in CGB. I've always had my kids in private schools but I'm starting to feel the $$ crunch because everything is so exp here. I'm just barely getting by. This year I paid about $10,500 for Kindergarden at a very nice private school in CGB for my lil guy + my dtr's tution at Carrollton (split that w her dad). If you live in the area you know what I'm talking about. For Kinder, my son was assigned to Carver and when I went to see it, I felt it wasn't for us. I had actually signed up for the famous "schools of choice" & asked for CGB Elementary first and 2nd choice was Sunset. I'm not a racist by any means but Carver didn't seem like a good fit for various reasons - we can leave it at that. Now, I'm looking at 1st grade options - tuition where he is now will be over $1200 per month next year. Tom is the deadline for the $630 non-refundable deposit. It will guaranty him a seat for 1st grade but paying over $1200 per month throughout the year for 1st grade will be tough. Also the $630 deposit is a bit much to walk away from if the Sunset Magnet does take him (that's Plan A). Plan B-Sunset Elementary non-magnet and Plan C is CGB Elementary. I know of 3 families who have rented out their homes in CGB and nearby and moved to Key Biscayne just so they can send their kids to the Community school there - you go there if you live there imagine that! I'm torn - the idea of renting out my home & taking a chance on some renter destroying it (just put in a new Kitchen) and the idea of giving up my close commute to work is killing me. It's also not a time to sell ... I'm told the magnet is hard to get into because only 20% of the CGB kids can get in, he was turned down last year for the two schools of choice I wanted so I'm freaking about the idea that if he can't go Magnet, he'll also be turned down for the other two again and might be assigned to Carver. What a mess. I've pretty much decided though that I won't register tom because I want to find a good/free public school, at least for elementary school. I love living in S.FL - I love the weather and love the Gables but I feel my tax dollars shd assure me a spot for my 5 year old in my neighborhood school (it's overcrowded I'm told). I know the support kids get at home is the most important thing and I'm all over them but I want to offer them the best I can without this crazy struggle I'm in. I need to paint and tent the house and something's gotta give but their education shouldn't be it. Too boot, I was just diagnosed with Acromegaly and all of this is creating more stress than I feel I can cope with right now ... at least I caught the disease early, had my surgery and I'm taking meds which are working but I do need to figure what I'm going to do here re my lil guy's education my "cup is full" as they say. This has been therapeutic ... I think ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
If it helps, I had never heard ANYTHING negative about Coral Gables public schools until joining this forum. Coral Gables is a nice place and is known as having pretty good schools; if I had a child I wouldn't hesitate to send him to any of them. Save the tuition money and send your children to public school; many of my friends graduated from MDC public schools and have done very well for themselves. Actually, one of my friends (goes to law school with me in NYC) was raised in Coral Gables and went through the school system without any complaints about it.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:44 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,709 times
I work in Coral Gables (for the Gables Fire Department)
and have done many Career Days in the schools there, and visit often.
I know that both Sunset Elementary and Coral Gables Elementary are excellent schools.
The class size is decent and all children receive the attention they deserve.
The teachers at both schools are wonderful and care deeply for the children.
They are committed to providing a first rate education.
Good Luck to you as you make these life changing decisions, but I would feel confident and secure making a decision to send my children to either school.
(Adding that Carver Elementary is one of the best Magnet schools in Dade County and the programs are fantastic.)
But of course you must go where you are going to feel the most comfortable with the school itself.
Go visit each school and check them out during the school day.
Take Care

Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 PM

41 posts, read 257,539 times
Not to worry, your child will do fine in any of the area schools you mentioned. My suggestion, focus on a college plan instead... it's their future. Don't stress yourself out. Good parents want the best for their children, but it sounds more like your children need you more than the average because you are a single mom and the one doing the day in and day out parenting (I was a single mom for years). With that said and given your circumstances, they need their mother to be around as stress free and as healthy as can be. Take care of yourself and give the public schools in your area a chance, and you'll see everything will work itself out. Hope this helps... Best of luck to you.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:43 PM

60 posts, read 284,179 times
Listen .. I know what you mean about Carver and I wouldn't send my kid their either. I think instead of you renting out your house, why don't you rent the cheapest possible thing in the desired area you want (a studio or efficiency). Check Craigslist.org. You might not even have to rent it for a whole year. You only have to do this once to get your child enrolled in that school Ex. 6 months at $ 500 a month is $ 3k. All you need is utility bill with the rented address. Once you enroll him, no one is going to check after the fact where you are living. Granted their are some risks to doing this, but it sounds better than your other suggestions.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:47 PM

60 posts, read 284,179 times
By the way if it's not obvious by my earlier post, send your child to the public school system in the Gables. It is highly rated and invest the money you save in the Florida Prepaid College Program for both of your kids. Good luck !!!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,029 times
Default Teacher's perspective

I am trying to relate with what you are going through, but really I can't. I will try to give you some options and advice and what's best, eventhough you have probably already made the decision, school starts next week. For future reference, I am a public school teacher at a primary school, downtown Miami, and the school is excellent. One of the best. It is an IB school, which means that the child has to go through an application process and pass in order to get admitted. The student also is tested in two languages. The waiting list to get in this school is incredible. People have asked me if I teach at a private school and say no, public, but the best public school in Miami-Dade. The students are placed into an International Propram in which they learn two different languages in all subject areas, either Portuguese, Spanish or English. I have no discipline problems and the parents are very involved. There is a huge demand for proper curriculum, gifted programs plus the regular curriculum. However teacher salaries at any school range from 38,000 to 50,000. Teachers work very hard at this school and are dedicated in providing each student with a full education in all subject areas and numerous languages. This school would be a great choice, it is only 10 minutes from Coral Gables. You mentioned you spend over 10,500 for Kinder, now a first grader and spending 1200 a month on tuition is outlandish, when you say you are just getting by. However, magnet schools typically offer a unified curriculum based on a special theme or interest, but does your child know their interest at the age of 5? Do you remember half of what you learned in Kinder, let alone first grade. What matters is the child's interest and they won't really know until middle school. Career wise, even in college I changed my major three times. My advise, look into Ada-Merritt K-8 center downtown SW 3rd St. I have taught at many public schools and this one is by far the best. I enjoy my job and love the kids.

If the school is not providing what you want for your child that all starts with learning at home, in addition to school. Maybe your older children can be a tutor or teacher to the younger one.

Off the subject, I am single and I am looking for a cheaper place to live, because on a teaching salary I can't afford much at all. Barely getting by for me is an everyday accurance. I might be interested in paying rent at an efficiency or studio, so please respond back if you still need somone or want to discuss more.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2incgb View Post
I was a bit sad tonight and somehow came across this website. I am a divorced mom w 2 kids (both dads are BAD with childsupport ...). I do well careerwise .. decent salary over $100K and have purchased a decent 3/2 in CGB. I've always had my kids in private schools but I'm starting to feel the $$ crunch because everything is so exp here. I'm just barely getting by. This year I paid about $10,500 for Kindergarden at a very nice private school in CGB for my lil guy + my dtr's tution at Carrollton (split that w her dad). If you live in the area you know what I'm talking about. For Kinder, my son was assigned to Carver and when I went to see it, I felt it wasn't for us. I had actually signed up for the famous "schools of choice" & asked for CGB Elementary first and 2nd choice was Sunset. I'm not a racist by any means but Carver didn't seem like a good fit for various reasons - we can leave it at that. Now, I'm looking at 1st grade options - tuition where he is now will be over $1200 per month next year. Tom is the deadline for the $630 non-refundable deposit. It will guaranty him a seat for 1st grade but paying over $1200 per month throughout the year for 1st grade will be tough. Also the $630 deposit is a bit much to walk away from if the Sunset Magnet does take him (that's Plan A). Plan B-Sunset Elementary non-magnet and Plan C is CGB Elementary. I know of 3 families who have rented out their homes in CGB and nearby and moved to Key Biscayne just so they can send their kids to the Community school there - you go there if you live there imagine that! I'm torn - the idea of renting out my home & taking a chance on some renter destroying it (just put in a new Kitchen) and the idea of giving up my close commute to work is killing me. It's also not a time to sell ... I'm told the magnet is hard to get into because only 20% of the CGB kids can get in, he was turned down last year for the two schools of choice I wanted so I'm freaking about the idea that if he can't go Magnet, he'll also be turned down for the other two again and might be assigned to Carver. What a mess. I've pretty much decided though that I won't register tom because I want to find a good/free public school, at least for elementary school. I love living in S.FL - I love the weather and love the Gables but I feel my tax dollars shd assure me a spot for my 5 year old in my neighborhood school (it's overcrowded I'm told). I know the support kids get at home is the most important thing and I'm all over them but I want to offer them the best I can without this crazy struggle I'm in. I need to paint and tent the house and something's gotta give but their education shouldn't be it. Too boot, I was just diagnosed with Acromegaly and all of this is creating more stress than I feel I can cope with right now ... at least I caught the disease early, had my surgery and I'm taking meds which are working but I do need to figure what I'm going to do here re my lil guy's education my "cup is full" as they say. This has been therapeutic ... I think ....
You need to live within your means. Sticking your kids in private school will only shelter them and they will be in for a culture shock and lack street smarts and general social skills when they graduate. I can attest to that having graduated from all boys catholic high school.....I WISH I had gone to public school. I was way too sheltered for my own good. Good kids start at home. If you are a good mother and always teach them wrong from right, it shouldn't really matter if they go to a private school or not. You make over 100K a year and own a home...the American Dream. Let them go to public school and just keep an eye on them and communicate always. Don't sweat the small stuff. They will do fine as long as you are always there to guide and support them. Good luck !

Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besitomio View Post
I work in Coral Gables (for the Gables Fire Department)
and have done many Career Days in the schools there, and visit often.
I know that both Sunset Elementary and Coral Gables Elementary are excellent schools.
The class size is decent and all children receive the attention they deserve.
The teachers at both schools are wonderful and care deeply for the children.
They are committed to providing a first rate education.
Good Luck to you as you make these life changing decisions, but I would feel confident and secure making a decision to send my children to either school.
(Adding that Carver Elementary is one of the best Magnet schools in Dade County and the programs are fantastic.)
But of course you must go where you are going to feel the most comfortable with the school itself.
Go visit each school and check them out during the school day.
Take Care
Are you combat ? If so, say hi to JADER for me. I precepted him while he was going through paramedic school at BCC. He's an awesome guy. PS....are you ready to be part of Miami-Dade ? lol

Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,355 times
I know this is an old post but if you get this. I will be very interested in finding out what did you do? I hope your kids got accepted into one of the schools of your preference. I'm posting because I am almost on your same boat when it comes to the school aspect. I am a CG resident and now my son has been reject from 2 magnet programs. I'm so worried that we will not get into CG or Sunset. While I believe in the Dade County School system I don't know if the system is really working. I really wish we would work together and develop a system which has a lot more inclusion and diversity. Looking at the CG school system it just doesn't seem as if there is much diversity when you throw carver in the mix.
I don't think most people got your point. Correct me if I'm wrong but you are ok with public school but just not with Carver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami