Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:29 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe overall, but it seemed to me that western Broward County, ie, Miramar and many areas of Pembroke Pines had pretty much the same demographics as far as the number of Hispanics and the amount of Spanish spoken as did Dade County. At least this was my impression when I made my trips there for work between 2000 and 2011.

These days I think you might encounter at least a few language barriers anywhere you go.
I lived literally one exit from Miramar and never any language barrier. Mainly because the Hispanics there are forced to assimilate. There are a lot of other culture in Miramar especially from the Caribbean and they out number the Hispanic population. I see an evenly mixed of ethnicities in Miramar as for a as jobs too.You don't hear Spanish 24/7 in Broward like you do Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 PM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Broward has long attracted more of a Caribbean population, people from Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc. But I think Spanish has overtaken Creole/French as the second most-commonly spoken language in the county.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Broward has long attracted more of a Caribbean population, people from Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc. But I think Spanish has overtaken Creole/French as the second most-commonly spoken language in the county.
Spanish probably is the second most commonly heard language no matter where you live in the US now. The whole point I was making is that it's not dominant in Broward like it is in Miami. I don't think Broward will ever be like Miami as far as Spanish first. They are just not going to have it. All and all anywhere you live and their is a melting pot of different ethnicities English is going to be the language so they all can communicate. Broward is what Miami used to be decades ago.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Spanish probably is the second most commonly heard language no matter where you live in the US now. The whole point I was making is that it's not dominant in Broward like it is in Miami. I don't think Broward will ever be like Miami as far as Spanish first. They are just not going to have it. All and all anywhere you live and their is a melting pot of different ethnicities English is going to be the language so they all can communicate. Broward is what Miami used to be decades ago.
Interesting topic. My wife and I were just in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale last week. She prefers Ft. Lauderdale while I lean towards Miami. Neither preference is based on the amount, or lack of, Spanish spoken. We actually like the diversity in people and languages. To her Ft. Lauderdale just felt more like home in the sense of neighborhoodS while I definitely am drawn to the city hustle and bustle of Miami.

I do think the strip in Ft. Lauderdale may be a bit more scenic, though.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Interesting topic. My wife and I were just in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale last week. She prefers Ft. Lauderdale while I lean towards Miami. Neither preference is based on the amount, or lack of, Spanish spoken. We actually like the diversity in people and languages. To her Ft. Lauderdale just felt more like home in the sense of neighborhoodS while I definitely am drawn to the city hustle and bustle of Miami.

I do think the strip in Ft. Lauderdale may be a bit more scenic, though.
The differences in the way you like each place is very true. Miami is fast pace. Broward isn't super slow but not the hustle and bustle. I just like the melting pot of Ft. Lauderdale vs Miami.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:04 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
The differences in the way you like each place is very true. Miami is fast pace. Broward isn't super slow but not the hustle and bustle. I just like the melting pot of Ft. Lauderdale vs Miami.
Funny, as we reflect on our trip to Ft. Lauderdale my wife has recited some of the same things you've mentioned in previous posts. Whereas at one point she at least considered Miami, it no longer is an option in her mind! For me, Ft. Lauderdale was definitely slower (more peaceful?) than Miami and it also felt a little slower than Phoenix to me.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Miami has a VERY hispanic culture. Honestly, I think it's too much. I like my mix, but you literally feel in a different country and "out of place" unless you are Spanish. And I say this in context - if you are trying to live that lifestyle and be a part of that culture. Visiting, some nightlife, etc... it's fine. Is there a defined cultural difference? Yes. But not THAT much. Lauderdale will feel a tad more "American" than Miami, but still have plenty latin influence.

Is it too far from Ft Lauderdale? No. But recognize that Ft. Lauderdale has plenty going on. Personally, I prefer Lauderdale over Miami any day.
Very true. The mix is now in Fort Lauderdale. Which is crazy because I remember when Fort Lauderdale was mostly white. I don't like all strictly one race type cities. So if you don't want to be in Cuba part 2. Stay away.

I always say go to Miami for events, but live in Fort Lauderdale. But to be honest Fort Lauderdale is starting to have just as much events as Miami. Which can save you time and trouble with traffic.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Funny, as we reflect on our trip to Ft. Lauderdale my wife has recited some of the same things you've mentioned in previous posts. Whereas at one point she at least considered Miami, it no longer is an option in her mind! For me, Ft. Lauderdale was definitely slower (more peaceful?) than Miami and it also felt a little slower than Phoenix to me.
Ha ha. Fort Lauderdale is definitely not slower than Phoenix. I'm not into clubs anymore but the nightlife definitely is better in Fort Lauderdale vs Phoenix. There more events to go to also. Somebody once told me that they call Scottsdale "The Miami of the Desert" I almost spit out my drink. I told them Who says that? Phoenicians? You can't close at 2 am and have less to do and call Scottsdale. that. If you are talking about suburb wise, I could agree there with Fort Lauderdale and Phoenix being the same.

Just like I tell people that people don't move to Miami for the topics in my previous posts, I tell people don't move to Phoenix if you are a partier and want the hustle and bustle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami