Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times

Advertisements

all over the Internet I see people hating on Miami.

don't you guys got a nice beach to swim in?
what about some good food?
affordable housing? (believe me, it's affordable, I live in LA lolz).

I can understand some of the negatives... like humidity & bugs.

but i was just curious to know why Miami and FL in general is hated on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:05 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I like Miami a lot, the beaches are the nicest in the entire country (besides some in Hawaii), there are a ton of great cuban restaurants, housing however, is quite expensive in the desirable areas and wages on average are really low. I recently moved to Florida from San Francisco, so I know expensive housing, and while Miami is still much cheaper, compared to most cities in the US, you will feel like your money doesn't get you much and then when you factor in the median income, it really doesn't get you much. My main complaints about Miami are the traffic, lots of rude people from the Caribbean, lots of poverty stricken areas, high crime and many areas just don't feel like you are in America, but not in a good way (in my opinion), it's more 3rd world feeling in those areas vs feeling like you are in Buenos Aires.

Miami to me is a small version of Los Angeles, which much much much much nicer beaches and water. Overall, I'd pick Miami over Los Angeles, but I like both cities.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:19 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
That's funny--I have also claimed in the past Miami seems like a smaller/less spread out version of LA (lots of different neighborhoods with different vibes, with SoBe being Santa Monica minus mountains) where you get the benefits but the negatives are less/smaller, and got roasted for it. Glad someone else has a similar take...what area of SF did you live?...when I first moved to CA in 1983 from NY following grad school my first 3 years were in Marin (Mill Valley)--best place I lived in my nearly 34 years in CA.

Miami has gotten expensive but does not have the industries or opportunities (as many of them) as some other expensive cities...so if you are not earning enough coin to support your lifestyle or afford to buy where you want to live and have to commute and sit in traffic then that is where a lot of hate comes from...if you are a doctor or attorney, probably will not have a problem or as much of one. If you are relying upon corporate opportunities then your chances for wealth building and career advancement are limited. Starting a small business and being successful on your own is easier said than done. I was fortunate to have earned my wealth elsewhere and brought my tech job with the same corporate company of 31 years with me to Miami for the final 2 years of my working life before I retire....and, yeah, one of these days I am going to pull the next schm*ck who almost runs me over when I am crossing the street out of their car and beat the living crap out of them....also, a lot of white people, like me, get frustrated with our foreign neighbors who moved here but don't bother to learn English (or they know it but do not speak it) and fail to assimilate into American culture.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-03-2017 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

affordable housing? (believe me, it's affordable, I live in LA lolz).

I can understand some of the negatives...
Affordable is relative and expectations shape attitudes on real outcomes.

It appears that frustration arises among many people who grow up in Miami then try to strike out on their own supported by a mediocre job, as well as many young people who come from outside looking for a lifetime of fun in the sun and then a wage job to finance that fantasy.

In short, local wage income does not compete well against big balance sheets from both within and without, and that's what moves Miami real estate affordability, fair or not.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 959,918 times
I think it's mostly the people, Miami has some crappy personalities and the negative people can bring out the worst in you.

Other than that maybe the traffic? It's bad but the traffic in some other US cities is far worse.

Besides those two things I really don't know what there is to hate about Miami.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:31 PM

378 posts, read 486,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
I think it's mostly the people, Miami has some crappy personalities and the negative people can bring out the worst in you.

Other than that maybe the traffic? It's bad but the traffic in some other US cities is far worse.
I would echo those two statements (While traffic is worse in some other cities, Tampa is the only other Florida city that would come close/compare IMO)

Two other items we noticed when living down there were dining options (You either have a few major chains or Cuban/Columbian options with very little in between) and activities as the majority of items that interested us event wise were in downtown Miami or Fort Lauderdale which took 1-2 hours of travel time to get to from Cutler Bay where we were.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 959,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
I would echo those two statements (While traffic is worse in some other cities, Tampa is the only other Florida city that would come close/compare IMO)

Two other items we noticed when living down there were dining options (You either have a few major chains or Cuban/Columbian options with very little in between) and activities as the majority of items that interested us event wise were in downtown Miami or Fort Lauderdale which took 1-2 hours of travel time to get to from Cutler Bay where we were.

Yeah if you live in the southern part of Dade there isn't much variety when it comes to dining. However, further north, say from Brickell north, the options become more diverse and better frankly.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:31 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Two other items we noticed when living down there were dining options (You either have a few major chains or Cuban/Columbian options with very little in between).
I couldn't disagree more. South Florida has loads and loads of fantastic restaurants that span nearly all genres. Some of the best in the country. Heck, we have one of the top rated (if not the absolute best) Japanese restaurants in the United States (NAOE). The authentic Italian options are some of the best I've experienced anywhere as well. You just need to get out and explore a little more. Mexican, Cuban, Thai, Seafood, BBQ, you name it, we have top notch spots.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:17 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:

It's expected for a city that's roughly 75% Hispanic to have a bigger proportion of Spanish foods (especially Cuban) but there's some variety for sure. Granted not as much as other places, and sometimes not as good, for example, Asian food scene is lacking and aren't that good, same with Italian (I'm Italian), etc... but there's still variety.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:32 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I am in between you and BNBR on this.

Miami does have plenty of good restaurants--especially Italian, Spanish, Peruvian, steak and seafood. French is also good. There are definite cuisines lacking (either quality and/or quantity)--Chinese, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern (especially Persian), Indian.....holding out comment on Greek until I have had a chance to dine at Mandolin Aegean, Boho and/or Estiatorio Milos....ate at a good NY deli last week in SoBe, Hank and Harry's--great pastrami sandwich.

Mexican?--have yet to find a great one, let alone Mexico City or Baja cuisine. Please provide recommendations for me to try. Cuban?--I have been to Havana 10 times and have yet to find a place in Miami as good as some of the places I ate at in Cuba (La Cocina de Liliam, La Guarida, La Casa, etc. etc.) which I find surprising....looking for good Southern cuisine like I can find in Savannah or Charleston--recommendations, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
It's expected for a city that's roughly 75% Hispanic to have a bigger proportion of Spanish foods (especially Cuban) but there's some variety for sure. Granted not as much as other places, and sometimes not as good, for example, Asian food scene is lacking and aren't that good, same with Italian (I'm Italian), etc... but there's still variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami