Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 PM

27 posts, read 47,322 times

Advertisements

I have seen many threads here regarding climate change and rising sea levels. Not sure when and how will it happen.

I am asking a different question it is floods due to heavy rain and I suppose it is due to better or slow drainage of excess water. Is this more common in south, mid or north beach of MB city or more of Collins ave. vs Alton rd (bay vs ocean).

In general one has to pay good fortune to get garage parking spot and I think most of them are underground. How people who live live here deal with floods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 07:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2116 View Post
I have seen many threads here regarding climate change and rising sea levels. Not sure when and how will it happen.

I am asking a different question it is floods due to heavy rain and I suppose it is due to better or slow drainage of excess water. Is this more common in south, mid or north beach of MB city or more of Collins ave. vs Alton rd (bay vs ocean).

In general one has to pay good fortune to get garage parking spot and I think most of them are underground. How people who live live here deal with floods?
Most parking is not underground. In fact, I am not aware of any parking underground. That said, there are some older buildings (in particular) where the parking is at or near (+/-) sea level and some flood during King Tides, etc.
The "Miami Beach Rising" projects that are elevating roads by a few feet put additional buildings in a position where their garages and some ground floors are sitting below street level. The presumed goal of those projects is to keep roads from flooding during King Tides and trust the pumping infrastructure that's connected to the drainage to keep both the roads and the adjacent properties "dry" for the time being. Will it buy us 30 years, 50 years or more? Time will tell. I will tell you that it's worked pretty well in keeping the roads dry in the Sunset Harbor neighborhood, which notoriously flooded to the point that I wouldn't take my car out and drive there or through it.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:46 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
In the south beach area the bay side is lower and more prone to flooding during KingTide. The Sunset Harbor area which flooded often has been raised as well as some areas in Alton and west between 5th and 17th and so far it has worked and I haven't seen the flooding since they were raised. 11 th street is being raised now in sections.
Not sure about mid each or north beach

Old 06-01-2017, 09:46 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
It's funny, even though they raised the roads in some areas, the businesses still get flooded during heavy rains and that adds to more problems. When it comes to the $400-$500M pumps they added, although they're helping, they only last 10-15 years, once again showing when it comes to infrastructure, North American cities are always thinking short term. When it comes to the mid-beach area, I remember 40-44th street being flooded during high tides.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:50 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
North American cities are always thinking short term.
It's the stupid politicians.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
It's the stupid politicians.
Yup and that pisses me the **** off, never thinking of the long term. So what if it costs more in the short term when it lasts longer and is done properly.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:31 AM

Speaking of flooding, just saw on my Insta that Wynwood is a bit flooded from the rains today, I never knew that area was also prone to flooding.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:47 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
I'm in North Miami / 151st area. My street was flooded so badly that only SUVs were really making it out this morning. Our publix parking lot at 146th and Biscayne was mostly flooded with few spaces available to park in by the grocery store entrance.

I hear Palm Beach is having just as bad time with the King Tides as South Beach does.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:31 PM

874 posts, read 900,465 times
The only places I know of with "underground" parking are on the mainland... Brickell City Center and Downtown Dadeland.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:02 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,647 times
Ask yourself one question. Are the flood waters fresh or salt water. If the water is salt water then climate change is upon you. If it is fresh water then the city has a huge drainage problem. Since more than likely it's fresh water (because if it were salt cars would rust and streets and buildings would suffer from salt decay) then being alarmed over something that is still in debate as to cause and effect would be irrational.

Many of the streets in Miami Dade county have the same problem. Sweetwater goes underwater every summer. Areas around the airport get flooded. Where I live in west Kendall anytime it rains SW 104th st becomes a river. This has and will be an on going problem until someone decides how to solve the drainage issue. I think one of the biggest contributors is the fact that landscaping companies don't rake leafs. They push them back into the grass and when it rains they wash out and clog the drains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami