Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJoy View Post
Safeway! Giants! ( Maryland )
I grew up in the DC area and I don't see how Safeway or Giant are any better than Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 03:32 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
I don't think the survey was just Floridians, since Publix is in several states.

What would be an example of a better "mainstream" grocer?
Harry Teeter's

Old 05-17-2017, 03:48 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times
Wegmans blows all of them away, its not even close.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 PM

253 posts, read 434,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
If you go to Las Vegas you see "Voted Best...." all over the place. Someone makes these things up. Its all fake. Publix produce is some of the worst on the planet.
Hardly fake. I lived in Las Vegas full time for 25 years. I was surveyed in those, "Best of Las Vegas," polls several times. I was quoted in the articles more than once. Once you are known to answer the phone surveys or fill out the questionnaires they'll come to you time after time.

Now, the caliber of the author does vary quite a bit. Some guys took it seriously and had pride in the role while others viewed it as beneath them.

Also the categories had vastly different response rates and therefore reliability. One phone rep told me they had to severely shorten one survey to make sure they got enough responses to questions nobody was bothering to answer.

Anyway, Publix is just bright and courteous and wide and convenient enough that nobody really has a legit beef. Most of the complaints are unrecognizable and forced. Prices are higher than most but not ripoff and easily countered via sensible use of buy one, get one.

However, IMO a new standalone Aldi is the top of the line grocery shopping experience for everything I prioritize. Produce, in particular. I'll load up the belt and yet the final tally is a fraction of what it would be anywhere else. Difficult not to snicker, especially if paying via a 5% off card. Just too darn bad Sallie Mae Mastercard met its demise a few months ago. That was 5% back on groceries, gas and Amazon. I think I'm still in mourning.

Now, the cluttered Aldis are a mess. For example, enter the one on Coral Way at Westchester at the wrong time of day and I could see why someone would be immediately turned off by the experience and condemn the chain as a block. You'll see families competing with each other to open the bags of grapes and swallow handfuls, before moving to the next bag.

The one further west on 8th Street isn't a standalone but it's only a few months old and an exponentially more clean and pleasing experience. Undisturbed grapes. Unbelievable. They actually have a few checkout clerks who don't speak any Spanish, which is locally bizarre these days.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Harry Teeter's
Harris Teeter is a much better grocer. Agreed. If Harris Teeter was in South Florida, you'd see why I say that.
As for Publix being outside the state, the reality is that most of the stores are still in Florida and it doesn't really have much true competition in a huge chunk of its market. According to Wikipedia, Florida had over 67% of its total store count as of 2015.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Of those you mentioned, only Ingle's and Walmart Neighborhood Market are familiar to me.

I'm not a huge fan of the Walmart Neighborhood Market and the Ingle's I went to was in Asheville. So it was kind of hard to compare it to a Publix. It was much smaller and less organized but with great prices, but that is relative to the location methinks.
Ingle's is actively replacing/rebuilding two stores and constructing an additional store in North Carolina, and will be replacing/rebuilding one store in South Carolina later this year. The four stores will be 72,000 square feet each. I see many of Ingle's North Carolina stores undergoing improvements as Publix further expands across western North Carolina.

Walmart Neigborhood Market has helped obliterate BI-LO and Food Lion supermarkets in South Carolina. Walmart Neighborhood Market's stores will not top Publix, but they are better in many ways than BI-LO, Food Lion, and Winn-Dixie.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Harry Teeter's
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Harris Teeter is a much better grocer. Agreed. If Harris Teeter was in South Florida, you'd see why I say that.
As for Publix being outside the state, the reality is that most of the stores are still in Florida and it doesn't really have much true competition in a huge chunk of its market. According to Wikipedia, Florida had over 67% of its total store count as of 2015.
I wonder if the Kroger Company would consider expanding the Harris Teeter banner across Florida to give Publix competition.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:35 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Every time a grocery store is mentioned, the mysterious Carolina Knight is sure to appear.

Wegmans' is an excellent grocer, along with HEB out west.

But I'm still fond of my local Winn-Dixie, and based on the constantly full parking lot, I appear to have good company.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 AM

Sadly, four Winn-Dixie stores in Florida are among 23 BI-LO, Harvey's Supermarkets, and Winn-Dixie stores Southeastern Grocers is closing chain-wide in June. Additional stores have also closed food (grocery, meat, produce, and seafood) and pharmacy departments, have eliminated hourly full-time positions, and have converted to Harvey's Supermarkets and Fresco y Más banners.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Sadly, four Winn-Dixie stores in Florida are among 23 BI-LO, Harvey's Supermarkets, and Winn-Dixie stores Southeastern Grocers is closing chain-wide in June. Additional stores have also closed food (grocery, meat, produce, and seafood) and pharmacy departments, have eliminated hourly full-time positions, and have converted to Harvey's Supermarkets and Fresco y Más banners.
How do you know so much about grocery stores in the Southeast? Are your privy to some inside information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami