Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJoy View Post

Safeway! Giants! ( Maryland )
LOL. What a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
I grew up in the DC area and I don't see how Safeway or Giant are any better than Publix.
They're not. In fact, they both suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Loved Giant when we lived in VA. I still miss them after all these years. Often they would make the top of the best lists.
They were great when they were a family-owned company. But once Izzy Cohen died in the mid-90s and the company was bought by Dutch conglomerate Royal Ahold, it all started going downhill. And it got worse still when Ahold merged them with Stop-and-Shop in 2004 and then started enacting all kinds of cost-cutting actions. The chain basically sucks now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,638,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I was told that Winn Dixie started out as a butcher store.
Are their stores a little "odd"?
Definitely.
But their meat department is WAY better than Publix.

Winn-Dixie is a dump. Even their newly remodeled stores. It's so glaring how good Publix is when you go into a Winn-Dixie. Poorly stocked shelves, terribly curated selection, usually dirty and mismanaged, not enough staff, etc. etc. There is a reason Winn-Dixie is barely staying alive, and it's because poor people think it's cheaper than Publix.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 AM

1,049 posts, read 961,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Winn-Dixie is a dump. Even their newly remodeled stores. It's so glaring how good Publix is when you go into a Winn-Dixie. Poorly stocked shelves, terribly curated selection, usually dirty and mismanaged, not enough staff, etc. etc. There is a reason Winn-Dixie is barely staying alive, and it's because poor people think it's cheaper than Publix.

Yup, pretty much sums it up. Their prices aren't even that much better than Publix, at least not enough to warrant actively seeking out a Winn-Dixie.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL. What a joke.

They were great when they were a family-owned company. But once Izzy Cohen died in the mid-90s and the company was bought by Dutch conglomerate Royal Ahold, it all started going downhill. And it got worse still when Ahold merged them with Stop-and-Shop in 2004 and then started enacting all kinds of cost-cutting actions. The chain basically sucks now.
I need to try Harris Teeter more. You are right about Safeway especially and Giant (although some are good).

Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,902,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Publix has no competition because Florida has a love affair with them. You have it backwards. Publix had plenty of competition and they all went out of business because everyone preferred to shop at Publix. Albertsons used to be here and Winn-Dixie was much more prominent.

I like Publix as a solid grocery store. You certainly don't get a "wow factor" walking into one, though. It's just a grocery store.
Yup, like I said - no competition. Let's see how well they'd do with some competition like Wegman's, or the Ingles I went to in Cleveland - GEORGIA! Small town with a grocery store that puts Publix to shame. And forget about competing with Jungle Jim's in OH. Publix would roll over and die a quick death!! Winn Dixies are terrible. The Albertsons we had in south Florida were terrible too. Sedano's , Presidente, not a bit of competition for Publix. A city the size of Miami and there is only one "decent" grocery chain.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:11 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Wegmans is deservedly in 1st place (tied with Publix). The only Publix I've been to in Pensacola couldn't compare to Wegmans IMO, though.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:24 PM

6,430 posts, read 4,922,941 times
92 Wegmans stores $7 Billion revenue, 58,000 employees
1144 Publix stores, $34 Billion revenue, 200,000 employees

Wegmans stores are larger with more employees per location. Not really comparable.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:03 AM

421 posts, read 288,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL. What a joke.

Safeway has been is a downward spiral for years and just has not done well on the East coast.As for Giant your assessment was true in the 90's and early 2000's it is making a stunning comeback right now considering the competition it is now facing.The merger of the parent company Ahold with Food Lion 's DelHaize has actually help in the aspect that Giant Food of Maryland is no longer in alignment with Giant Carlyle and is managed independently while still being part of the Ahold group.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:23 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
Publix sucks. I don't get everyone's weird love for it. It's not that great. Whole Foods, Wegman's Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, Aldi are all far superior.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:26 PM

421 posts, read 288,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Publix sucks. I don't get everyone's weird love for it. It's not that great. Whole Foods, Wegman's Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, Aldi are all far superior.

Having been in only two Aldi's I will say that IMO ,Aldi's is not superior to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami