Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times

Advertisements

[quote=elchevere;53885682]Not arrogance...I’ve lived in other big boy cities such as NYC, SF, and SoCal and am used to cities and an East Coast upbringing. Like it or not, Miami has evolved from a part time southern city to a full time cosmopolitan city. With that comes higher costs and more people.

This seems to be an issue for some who live in the past and/or whose income or wealth has not kept up with the COL and/ or Miami attracting more transplants from the US and abroad and/or those from more provincial or rural towns. If you have been priced out or your commute has doubled, look in the mirror—not at others. Fortunately, I can afford to live and socialize in nicer areas and run into similar people (US born and foreigners) with less incidents (outside of traffic related) than you seem to. It’s not arrogance, it’s reality. Life is like tennis—want to improve your game, play and learn from those better than you. But if blaming others for potential shortcomings instead of focusing on how you can better yourself is your thing, have at it hoss. Life is too short and my enjoyment of Miami is not diminished because others, such as yourself, do not enjoy it as much or at all.. Miami has its shortcomings, but so does every city—more things than not tick off my boxes living here (weather, restaurants, nightlife, proximity to where I vacation, no state income tax, pro sports teams, ocean/beach access, women, cultural activities, COL less than NY or CA yet still great lifestyle, etc) than to be consumed about rudeness.

What’s your story?

Hey Chévere. We definitley have different views on this. I'm not saying Miami is rude compared to what it was decades ago or bc I'm from Okeechobee Florida population 18. I'm saying it's rude compared to other major cities I am familiar with. If you are familiar with NYC, SF and LA I find it hard to believe you don't notice the difference. In Miami people have a massive chip on their shoulder, probably for the reasons you mentioned about low wages, insane traffic, an economy that leaves much to be desired, overcrowding, etc. But the MiaME syndrome isn't something that afflicts just the poor or people in certain neighborhoods, it permeates life in general across South Florida. In other big cities people are basically indifferent with kind and rude scattered about. In Miami the prevailing vibe is flat out obnoxious with a smattering of indifferent and kind. I don't think you can cocoon yourself from this reality in Miami but if you haven't experienced this, good for you. But you should recognize that it's the reality for a large part of the population and not by choice either.

You are correct about the pros of living in SoFla and that is precisely why people put up with the MiaME syndrome. I don't think anyone is consumed with the rudeness, but it's something that is so off putting, unecessary and univiting and doesn't go with the physical beauty of the region, it is a huge contrast. People have every right to vent about it, it's comforting. Bottom line is SoFla isn't for the feighnt of heart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 06:29 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
People are rude to me everywhere I go, so I just don't notice anything exceptional about the behavior in South Florida.

Hurt people hurt people. That's all there is to it.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:53 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
People here are unfriendly because there is no common culture that unites everyone. People moved her and destroyed the local culture by importing the crap they moved here to escape. The grass is always greener on the other side but if you bring weeds with you and plant them sooner or later the grass will become weeds. People come here to escape high taxes yet we now have very high taxes. Why? Because they don't let go of the stupid crap that made them move here in the first place. People don't adapt. They just say stupid things like Back in NY or in my country.
LOL at thinking we have very high taxes.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:02 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL at thinking we have very high taxes.
Some people want to pay zero so anything above that is high to them.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:47 PM

26 posts, read 26,999 times
After a long time of seeing elchevere give apologetics for rudeness and rude people, I was really hoping someone would tell him we don't want that kind of behavior in South Florida. I'm glad it was done and shared publicly

Sorry elchevere, do not mean to gang jump you. It's not personal, it's the rude culture that should not be welcome or justified

Old 12-15-2018, 02:35 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Not the least bit offended. I guess I should’ve went to a Military Academy (if not for bone spurs) or an English boarding school instead of a lowly Ivy League college.

Again, I’m not denying rudeness exists in Miami—I’m just not consumed with it, as some on this forum are. The ONLY area where I see more rudeness in Miami than elsewhere is at retail establishments, when someone interrupts a sales associate who is in the middle of assisting me as if I’m invisible or not there.

Someone gets on the elevator before they allow me to get off—happens everywhere. Someone walking towards me from the opposite direction trying to grab the one inch between me and a wall when they have 20 feet to their right, happens everywhere; someone honking their horn, happens everywhere; someone not letting you move over a lane when you turn on your directional signal, happens everywhere (though Miami is #1 when it comes to exiting the highway at the last second from the extreme left lane); someone brings their dog into a restaurant, happens everywhere; someone not thanking me for holding a door open for them, happens everywhere; someone goes to the express checkout lane with 30 items, happens everywhere; millennials texting while others are waiting to use gym equipment, happens many places, etc etc etc....Miami and other bigger cities are not Mayberry RFD (hint: Boca Raton and Tampa are not Miami either)...these are all things I do NOT do, yet I do not let these actions by others consume my life or ruin my entire day nor do I expect to change others’ behavior.

I actually found SoCal more rude than here—in spite of the shallow “have a nice day” and stopping for me in crosswalks, maybe because of the phoniness....in NYC or Miami, people are more direct. If someone doesn’t like you, they tell you upfront instead of pretending otherwise. Why lie?...the worst is being corrected by Dudley Do Right who then proceeds to do the same thing he just pointed out to you.

Hate to break the news but I’m not planning on leaving SoFla anytime soon, lol...I like playing the villain and look good in a black hat...no “let’s do lunch” or air kisses from me. From the sounds of it, we might not frequent common spots so the only place you might encounter me is here on this CD forum and I will try not to be such a brut going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suboxonedoctor View Post
After a long time of seeing elchevere give apologetics for rudeness and rude people, I was really hoping someone would tell him we don't want that kind of behavior in South Florida. I'm glad it was done and shared publicly

Sorry elchevere, do not mean to gang jump you. It's not personal, it's the rude culture that should not be welcome or justified

Last edited by elchevere; 12-15-2018 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 05:56 PM

The other thing I find hilarious on this thread—this arrogant prick has had no problem meeting people in Miami and making new friends yet it is the friendly and lovely Miss Manners types who are complaining on this thread about how unfriendly the people are—meaning you are not making friends??....kind of ironic, wouldn’t you say?

P.S....I’m not on here to make virtual friends...I’m here to share my honest thoughts on Miami, mostly good but sometimes bad. You may not agree with what I have to say but you will always know where I stand.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-15-2018 at 06:05 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 06:12 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Hmmm... “should’ve went” ...

Anyway, it’s nice to have smaller cities to escape to if you need a break from a big city.

It’s a matter of having choices, and having those choices diminished due to growth and development is aggravating .

One is not superior to another. I feel we need both. Maybe some don’t.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 12-15-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 06:59 AM

No argument....only don’t expect to find small town America or The Donna Reed Show in Miami just like I do not expect to find certain big city amenities, etc in smaller cities. You step in more dog crap on the sidewalks in big cities but there is also more gold at the end of the rainbow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Hmmm... “should’ve went” ...

Anyway, it’s nice to have smaller cities to escape to if you need a break from a big city.

It’s a matter of having choices, and having those choices diminished due to growth and development is aggravating .

One is not superior to another. I feel we need both. Maybe some don’t.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-16-2018 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Elchevere I wish I could agree that people were more direct here. Instead I've personally witnessed more of the passive approach in Miami, similar to what I expect elsewhere in the country. But maybe that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami