Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that people who get jobs in the downtown area want to live in the suburbs and those who live downtown work outside the city. If you get a job downtown, why not live near there? Is it just that downtown jobs pay poorly, or is downtown living so boring and/or crime ridden that few want to take the chance? Any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Its true that a lot of the people that work downtown can not afford to live there. Condo prices are still very high. Many ofhte people downtown work in the hotels or do clerical work in the offices. My wife knew a girl who was working at one of the hotels and was only making $8 an hour.
As for people with jobs outside of downtown I don't know why one would want to live downtown unless one just likes tall buildings. That is the case with one of my cowoerkers. He is from New York and he said downtown Miami is the only area he could stand since everything else was just countryside.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM

107 posts, read 367,100 times
There is a nationwide trend of people moving closer to city centers. It's been going on for at least a decade. I'm not sure of the exact reasons why. One reason is that highway infrastructure has not kept up with metro-area population increases, and so commuting has become more painful every year. Also it has become fashionable to live downtown and be able to walk or cab to restaurants and festivities. I'm talking generally nationwide, not Miami in particular. Although it is starting in Miami also, eg Brickell.

In the old days, like 50 years ago, if you "made it big", or got a huge promotion or whatever, you would leave the city and move to your dream house in the suburbs. Now it's the opposite.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 PM

147 posts, read 190,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have noticed that people who get jobs in the downtown area want to live in the suburbs and those who live downtown work outside the city. If you get a job downtown, why not live near there? Is it just that downtown jobs pay poorly, or is downtown living so boring and/or crime ridden that few want to take the chance? Any ideas are appreciated.
People are stupid. Period.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
People may have a job downtown but probably want to live in a suburban community. It is very common in cities to see people commute from the suburbs for their jobs.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
People who work downtown usually have families and would like to have a nice yard for their children to play in and obviously that is not feasible in downtown but in the suburbs. I feel Miami would be a great place for a single professional who can afford a condiminium like the Lofts 1,2 and 3 where you have the metrorail running right through one of the buildings and therefore one would not need a car for work and you would have fine dining and shows at theatres along with cultural venues at your disposal.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
People who work downtown usually have families and would like to have a nice yard for their children to play in and obviously that is not feasible in downtown but in the suburbs. I feel Miami would be a great place for a single professional who can afford a condiminium like the Lofts 1,2 and 3 where you have the metrorail running right through one of the buildings and therefore one would not need a car for work and you would have fine dining and shows at theatres along with cultural venues at your disposal.
I totally agree.

For single professionals Downtown is excellent, but for families the suburbs are much better.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:55 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,492 times
Downtown has always been popular with young professionals and retirees, but these days there are more families and more young professionals moving to Downtown. Not everything in Downtown is expensive, you can find some very nice, affordable apartments and condos that aren't that bad.

There is a trend in the U.S. of people moving back to city centers and that is definitely evident here in Miami. People in the U.S. don't want to live in the suburbs anymore, they're a mess of traffic and gridlock. Living in Downtown allows you to not have to have a car, everything is at your door step, and you can walk anywhere. It's very convenient and IMO, a much better way to live.

Plus, with all the skyscrapers and retail centers being built in Downtown, Downtown has become very liveable, very attractive, safer, nicer, cleaner, and places like Brickell which have always been synonymous with posh, and upscale, is more popular than ever. Downtown is starting to resemble Chicago, their similarities are crazy.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM

147 posts, read 190,538 times
Default You need a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Downtown has always been popular with young professionals and retirees, but these days there are more families and more young professionals moving to Downtown. Not everything in Downtown is expensive, you can find some very nice, affordable apartments and condos that aren't that bad.

There is a trend in the U.S. of people moving back to city centers and that is definitely evident here in Miami. People in the U.S. don't want to live in the suburbs anymore, they're a mess of traffic and gridlock. Living in Downtown allows you to not have to have a car, everything is at your door step, and you can walk anywhere. It's very convenient and IMO, a much better way to live.

Plus, with all the skyscrapers and retail centers being built in Downtown, Downtown has become very liveable, very attractive, safer, nicer, cleaner, and places like Brickell which have always been synonymous with posh, and upscale, is more popular than ever. Downtown is starting to resemble Chicago, their similarities are crazy.
I live about as far north on Brckell as you can go before you hit office buildings. Still, you gotta be a nut to walk to Publix. It's just around the corner about a quarter mile. But with groceries that is a long way. Miami has a long way to go before it achieves the "walkability" of Boston, Chicago, or NYC where there is a grocer on every block>

Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiVice1985 View Post
I live about as far north on Brckell as you can go before you hit office buildings. Still, you gotta be a nut to walk to Publix. It's just around the corner about a quarter mile. But with groceries that is a long way. Miami has a long way to go before it achieves the "walkability" of Boston, Chicago, or NYC where there is a grocer on every block>
Miami might not have the "walkability" of Manhattan yet, but it'll get there someday. They're building a third Publix in Brickell FYI, in Mary Brickell Village, on the extreme west side of the complex as we speak. There are also plans for an Epicure market in the Off Brickell building on Broadway and a Whole Foods in the Met buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami