Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 02:07 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times

Advertisements

Miami’s mass transit could be much better, but it’s ranked just below Atlanta and above Dallas and Houston:

https://m.metro-magazine.com/news/73...transportation

STEM is great (and I worked for a bellwether semiconductor giant for 33 years) and, on average, it pays higher but there are plenty of other high paying fields can that pay as well or better in finance, sales, management consulting, law, etc.

Miami also lacks a corporate HQ presence. It is a minority majority city where small business is more significant to its economy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/biznews...s-economy/amp/

Miami’s tech scene is improving but what holds it back is a lack of an abundance of research universities—unlike Boston, SF/SJC, Philly, LA, Research Triangle, etc—NOT transportation.

At the same time, however, a number of Northeast hedge funds have begun relocating their corporate offices here from their high tax states following the TCJA legislation from a few years ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...es-11573473614

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2020/...h-hedge-funds/

That being said, weather and desirable oceanfront location attracts people here. Think of Miami as the hot looking girl from college—she remains in demand and doesn’t have to work as hard to get a date. She just has to show up. There are plenty of high paying jobs here for those who want to live here. Not everyone who lives here is a trust fund baby. Some are in the medical profession, others in law or business, many start a business. Others might have to take their talents and build up their career and wealth elsewhere before bringing it to Miami with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
People get excited over it because it is best for the community as a while.Miami has the lowest per capita incomes than any of the top 10 metro and one of the lowest in the nation.Miami could have it all and the poster is right:a expansion into a more substantial heavy or even light rail system would do wanders for Miami.
Miami could pull off a light rail system easy.Like Dallas has

As far as being like NYC,you right. Stay in NYC if you want NYC but no reason Miami cant have the rail aspect of it

Last edited by elchevere; 04-28-2020 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 02:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,030,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami’s mass transit could be much better, but it’s ranked just below Atlanta and above Dallas and Houston:

https://m.metro-magazine.com/news/73...transportation

STEM is great (and I worked for a bellwether semiconductor giant for 33 years) and, on average, it pays higher but there are plenty of other high paying fields can that pay as well or better in finance, sales, management consulting, law, etc.

Miami also lacks a corporate HQ presence. It is a minority majority city where small business is more significant to its economy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/biznews...s-economy/amp/
Yes you said it yourself about certain jobs outside of STEM jobs but those usually come with a significant HA presence.
Atlanta gets away with a mediocre system because it has institutions and many headquarters to draws those types of jobs as well as keep them.Atlanta ,Houston are also majority minority cities

Old 04-28-2020, 02:23 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I've been in NYC for 8 years and I can't comprehend how or why Miami gets transit SO wrong ?! Even today when countless studies show the obvious benefits of public transit.

The last thread about this was 8 years ago . So I was wondering are there any updates on any Metro Rail development considering ....

1. Miami will literally be the first state to drown under rising waters
2. All city planners globally agree that Mass transit is the way to go
3. Younger Millenials and Gen X are almost completely abandoning cars and dont care to purchase one
4. Miami area keeps growing and more traffic.
5. To attract top companies and talent, you need an attractive city infrastructure which usually means better
public transport.
6. Also, the current Metro Line works but it only goes to downtown & The HOOD ??

*I mean I suppose if you live in Brownsville and work in Brickell it is fantastic , but most 305ers live in the burbs and the metro is useless .
Well, go back to NYC then? I mean if you like it there, go live there?

I hate NYC, so I do not live there. I love Miami, I live here.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:33 PM

205 posts, read 241,957 times
Miami Mass transit you ask? Not sure if I'm laughing or crying

Old 04-28-2020, 03:39 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
NYC is a city with citizens that are workers. They go from point A to point B by mass transit out of necessity. The area is rather dense in population.

Miami area is populated with a more affluent population, and it's spread out substantially north and south. People in higher social circles don't travel by mass transit.

It's the same in Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and many other big cities where the car is king.

You can build all the mass transit you want, but the masses of people are not going to take it.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
NYC is a city with citizens that are workers. They go from point A to point B by mass transit out of necessity. The area is rather dense in population.

Miami area is populated with a more affluent population, and it's spread out substantially north and south. People in higher social circles don't travel by mass transit.

It's the same in Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and many other big cities where the car is king.

You can build all the mass transit you want, but the masses of people are not going to take it.
Miami is certainly not by any stretch of your imagination more affluent than NYC.Perhaps you should get out an hang around more commoners outside of Manalpan so you will see the real every day Miamians.
LA and Atlanta are car centric but some of the busiest and expensive real estate are near transit stations.Especially in Atlanta.. I dont think it would be any different if its easily accessible with transit stations near where wealthy people want to live. In fact in Atlanta the system expansion details are heavy in some of the more prosperous areas which also happen to be the most congested areas.
LA is different because its a more established city and transit expansion in the last decade have made it where more people are using it. Before it was still pretty mediocre

Old 04-29-2020, 10:39 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I'd much rather live around beautiful beaches and weather with close access to some of the best beaches in the world than to have an excellent subway system.

I am very happy with Virgin Brightline, Tri Rail, Metro Rail, and the people mover.

I hate to drive so I'll uber or lyft.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:01 AM

154 posts, read 150,548 times
It is believed that the reason that NYC has been hit so hard by the corona virus is the heavily trafficked mass transit system serves as a deadly conduit for the virus. Especially the handrails and cramped cars.
I can never understand why people feel a need to escape NYC and then want to re-create that mess down here.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'd much rather live around beautiful beaches and weather with close access to some of the best beaches in the world than to have an excellent subway system.

I am very happy with Virgin Brightline, Tri Rail, Metro Rail, and the people mover.

I hate to drive so I'll uber or lyft.
Come on now.New York offers a lot more than that but I get it if thats not your main requisite for a city

Old 05-01-2020, 03:30 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
I went to Miami in March and heavily relied on public transit and was pleasantly surprised by how extensive and efficient the system was. I used to live in Palm Beach County and back then, it was terrible and limited. I think Miami's is probably the most extensive and adequate in the state and far more than anywhere in the south. Keep in mind FL wasn't built for public transit. So to even have this in our state is amazing. I went everywhere with it. It was really nice. No, it's not Chicago or NYC but they're trying and improving. Based on my trip, you can survive in Miami without a car but you would need to live closer to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami