Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 AM

89 posts, read 267,812 times

Advertisements

What kinds of jobs are there on miami beach? I'm thinking of moving and it would be ideal if i could work and live on miami beach..but is that even feasible? I'm a recent college grad with a major in management and HR and I have exp. in sales and management..would there be any jobs for me in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 AM

294 posts, read 1,149,112 times
Unless you own your own business, most jobs in Miami Beach proper will be service jobs (e.g., waiter, cook, hotel reception). Most professionals I know who live in Miami Beach work in downtown Miami or up in Fort Lauderdale. I live in Miami Beach and work in Hollywood. To stratify further, most professionals I know who live in MB and work in Miami speak fluent Spanish, and those who work up in Broward do not.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 AM

640 posts, read 1,822,996 times
LiT, agreed (I also live in MB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
I live in Miami Beach and work in Hollywood.
That has to be a painful commute if you do it at rush hour.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
LiT, agreed (I also live in MB).

That has to be a painful commute if you do it at rush hour.
Actually, it's not too bad. I take A1A and it's about a 30-minute drive.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:00 PM

89 posts, read 267,812 times
thanks for the responses. How bad is the drive to Broward?
Also, car insurance-is it really as bad as I keep hearing on this site? I'm from Chicago, would my insurance still double/triple? Why is Miami so expensive when it comes to car insurance, or it is really just expensive when moving from a smaller town?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:19 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
I pay $2200 a year for insurance to give you an example. My sister pays $2000 a year I believe. I think someone else said on another thread they pay around the same. You can get cheaper insurance, but the cheaper you go the less protection you will have, and the more you will pay at the time of the accident. FYI, many drivers on our roads don't carry insurance, so if they hit you and they don't have insurance, don't expect much.

Miami is high for a few reasons, the number of accidents, theft rate here is higher, hurricane threat, etc. The size of the town doesn't matter all that much. Friends of mine moved less than a year ago to Atlanta, which is bigger than Miami, and their car insurance rate dropped in half.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nb0n View Post
thanks for the responses. How bad is the drive to Broward?
Also, car insurance-is it really as bad as I keep hearing on this site? I'm from Chicago, would my insurance still double/triple? Why is Miami so expensive when it comes to car insurance, or it is really just expensive when moving from a smaller town?
My car insurance nearly tripled when I moved to Miami. We came from Chicago too. My guess is that the drivers are worse down here and hence a higher probability of getting into an accident.

If you are driving north to Hallandale Beach or Hollywood on A1A, the drive is not so bad. If you are driving to Fort Lauderdale or further, it gets pretty painful and the further the drive the more apt you are to rely on I-95 for commuting. Sadly, driving on I-95 is one of the most dangerous things you can do to yourself. I think I-95 from Jupiter to Miami has one of the highest death rates in the country, if I'm not mistaken. The crazy driving is really my only and biggest issue with So Flo.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,996 times
Why is car insurance expensive here? There are a lot of accidents, a lot of expensive cars, and a lot of uninsured drivers (even though insurance is compulsory).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami