Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 66,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
its getting to the point where the only americans that live down here are oddballs or outcasts in some way.

living in south florida is like living on another planet. reality is so vastly different from the rest of the country that you feel overwhelmed when you experience it again.

there were a ton of people at their cruise party from other parts of the US. alot of white peoples faces looked strange to us because we're not used to seeing them.

i dont know how miami got this way, the only thing my gf and i can guess is sheer number of immigrants way too quickly.

i cease to believe that with all the variety and emotion that american culture offers that it can be driven out by an influx of latin immigrants but thats exactly whats happening.

i miss the US. last night we saw a bunch of people who take it for granted. i wish i could be among them.
Living in Moscow, I miss the US too, but not to the point where I want to live there 24/7. I like the excitement of living somewhere that's different. It's educational in so many ways. And it keeps you on your toes. I grew up in the Midwest, and studied in several cities on the East Coast. Settling in any of those places after living abroad seems incredibly boring, no matter how much I like to visit them from time to time. Miami, from what I saw during my visit a year ago (and yes, I saw the good and the bad - not just rich white people on vacation), is something very different, and given all its attributes, it seems like the perfect solution. I'm not looking to relocate to some South Florida paradise where all is clean and green. If that were the case, I'd be on the Fort Lauderdale or Palm Beach forums.

I guess I'm and oddball or an outcast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 AM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
elfyum, excessive !!'s and smileys arent necessary
youre also quite judgemental and jump to conclusions rather quickly

i mean laid back as in they dont show alot of excitement.
i rarely see people here happy excited or optimistic. especially optimistic. most people are very very negative.

people dont seem happy here. when we get a friend visiting from california they look a number of degrees happier than people around here.

the first week on the job my first job out here people asked why i was always smiling. i soon realized being nice was a sign of weakness and only caused the predators to prey upon you. im quite jaded and scarred to the average level here now. its influenced my gf and i's relationship because we arent as nice to each other as we used to be - we've changed in ways we dont like.

i dont see a wide range of emotions in south florida. i do see aggression however.

i know its stereotyping but i wish the cubans would turn in their little coffees for some weed. i think the whole place would be alot more chill.

elfyum, im in LALA land eh? youre the guy in the asylum trying to tell the outside world that they're the crazy ones.

smo123, i cant pinpoint your personality so im not sure how you'd do. who knows? it may work out for you. all i'd recommend is you be cautious. thats all.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Hey dude - I use all those !!!!!!!! & cause I LIKE em!!!
Ok mr happy?! (Not being nasty, just cynical! If you're so happy & non judgemental, why would you mind all the !!!!!!! & ??!! - Oh - you're from THERE...N E V E R M I N D ... )

Old 01-13-2007, 03:42 AM

4 posts, read 12,248 times
Question lost

Hi everyone or anyone, I have just registered here and I have,nt a clue what I am doing, so I am trying this one out. I live in Australia and I was looking for information on the mayo clinic in Florida and I have ended up here. I thought I was registering for imformation, now how is that for a dork.
Maybe someone could help me out here, you seem like a friendly bunch.
mag may

Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 AM

4 posts, read 12,248 times
Default lost

Hi everyone or anyone, I have just registered here and I have,nt a clue what I am doing, so I am trying this one out. I live in Australia and I was looking for information on the mayo clinic in Florida and I have ended up here. I thought I was registering for imformation, now how is that for a dork.
mag may

Old 01-13-2007, 07:12 AM

525 posts, read 1,851,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
elfyum, excessive !!'s and smileys arent necessary
youre also quite judgemental and jump to conclusions rather quickly

i mean laid back as in they dont show alot of excitement.
i rarely see people here happy excited or optimistic. especially optimistic. most people are very very negative.

people dont seem happy here. when we get a friend visiting from california they look a number of degrees happier than people around here.

the first week on the job my first job out here people asked why i was always smiling. i soon realized being nice was a sign of weakness and only caused the predators to prey upon you. im quite jaded and scarred to the average level here now. its influenced my gf and i's relationship because we arent as nice to each other as we used to be - we've changed in ways we dont like.

i dont see a wide range of emotions in south florida. i do see aggression however.

i know its stereotyping but i wish the cubans would turn in their little coffees for some weed. i think the whole place would be alot more chill.

elfyum, im in LALA land eh? youre the guy in the asylum trying to tell the outside world that they're the crazy ones.

smo123, i cant pinpoint your personality so im not sure how you'd do. who knows? it may work out for you. all i'd recommend is you be cautious. thats all.
I was born and raised in Miami and I totally agree with you. I finally got out, and it boggles my mind to see how many people want to move there. Oh well, they will figure it out sooner or later.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 AM

134 posts, read 600,916 times

Yes, I totally agree with this statement. Kindness is often confused with weakness. My analogy has been if they see a little blood, it becomes a shark feeding frenzy. i made the decision to transfer from 2 ( public teaching)locations that had this mentality. It was a brutal experience and took my attitude a while to recover from these experiences. Now, I do not let their condition phase me, I just keep smiling!

Old 01-13-2007, 07:39 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag may View Post
mag may
mag may, you may want to ask this question in the Jacksonville, FL forums as it is located there.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:10 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
most of the people I work with love Miami.Then again ,the company of 300 or so employees....there are about 7 to 9 of us native Miamians who are gringo.The rest are from Columbia,Dominican,PR,Cuba,Venezuela,Panama,Argent ina....understand?

I am not treated bad,but Im out of place with no more of my culture,Im a oddity in a Miami I was raised in.

Lifestyle?....make 6 figuires a year and yeah,you'll be alright.But for those of use who are material well off but cash poor,in 2 years of seeing your mortgage jump $500 or more a month BECAUSE OF WINDSTORM INSURANCE you wind up in a situation where your house owns you,you dont own it.What kind of life is just existing to pay a mortgage.

Bye Bye Miami...maybe all of FL.

Last edited by lionking; 01-13-2007 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-21-2007, 07:54 AM

83 posts, read 326,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissblessed1 View Post
I repeat myself again. Florida is an unusual place and that is the lure, as well as hook , line and even the sinker. It is a love hate thing tho. But again, I keep asking, if not here where? Especially, if not Miami, where can a lower income person reside and slide into the golden years withour great fear?
Also, reading the threads it seems that many people are just not happey whereever they live. Could there be another reason for such abundance in this unhappiness?

Money would be a big issue, if you can't afford things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami