Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Wow, did you guys read this yet! Most of the 700 (read that again 700) people charged in this fraud are immigrants. Someone just told me this story tonight, found this link to the Hearld.

Medicare fraud fugitives evade capture - 08/05/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

Someone posted a thread on how people make their money here in Miami, well this is just one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I'm not an immigrant, but I make my money by burglarizing, so says my profile. That's why I rarely go into Dade; everywhere has burglar bars. Palm Beach also has all of those gates with armed guards, can't mess with that. It's easiest to burglarize in Broward. How do you think I afford rent in Weston?

(disclaimer- no, I don't really burglarize for a living)

Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 PM

433 posts, read 953,277 times
Yeahhh:

I bought a mercedez and a bmw with the medicare number of an old lady

Jajajajajja, I like the sterotypes,

Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I'm not an immigrant, but I make my money by burglarizing, so says my profile. That's why I rarely go into Dade; everywhere has burglar bars. Palm Beach also has all of those gates with armed guards, can't mess with that. It's easiest to burglarize in Broward. How do you think I afford rent in Weston?

(disclaimer- no, I don't really burglarize for a living)
So the stories I've read are false?

(btw, isn't Weston mostly gated though? Also, there are lots of gated communities in Dade, such as in Doral, Kendall, Homestead, etc.).

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
This was an interesting part of the article.

Why do so many Cuban immigrants become Medicare fraud perpetrators? Andy Gomez, a senior fellow at the University of Miami's Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies, has a theory.

Gomez said some immigrants came with survival instincts cultivated under the totalitarian regime of Fidel Castro. They distrusted and cheated his communist government as a way of getting around the system, but they did not shed that behavior when they came to Miami simply because they were living in a free country.

''They are a product of their element,'' Gomez said. ``It's a very difficult habit to break.''

Old 08-06-2008, 08:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
This was an interesting part of the article.

Why do so many Cuban immigrants become Medicare fraud perpetrators? Andy Gomez, a senior fellow at the University of Miami's Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies, has a theory.

Gomez said some immigrants came with survival instincts cultivated under the totalitarian regime of Fidel Castro. They distrusted and cheated his communist government as a way of getting around the system, but they did not shed that behavior when they came to Miami simply because they were living in a free country.

''They are a product of their element,'' Gomez said. ``It's a very difficult habit to break.''
Hopefully 10-20 years in a federal prison will break them of their bad habits. It would probably be more effective for everyone if we just dropped them off back in Cuba.
I wish the US would build a penal colony in the South Pacific somewhere and drop all of our malcontents there the way the British did. We could clean up this country fast if we got rid of the bottom 10-15 million.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 AM

19 posts, read 117,284 times
Default Cry

the USA is debt

they give mexicans and cubans with NO INCOME an US PASSPORT (they must only can swim)

but the people as i with an income (from Germany) over 120 $ K p.a. they dont give a passport, i must make a investement for 500 K or get married or win a GC.

-> that is not fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Wow, did you guys read this yet! Most of the 700 (read that again 700) people charged in this fraud are immigrants. Someone just told me this story tonight, found this link to the Hearld.

Medicare fraud fugitives evade capture - 08/05/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

Someone posted a thread on how people make their money here in Miami, well this is just one example.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I don't blame the criminals who steal from Medicare as much as I blame Medicare itself. The only way to stop this is to reform and eventually phase out the current Medicare and Medicaid programs.

It's a fact that much of the income of Miami-Dade county depends on Government funds to keep the scams going.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 AM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmVanillaSugar
the USA is debt
No kidding? So are most people who can't see beyond today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmvanillasugar
they give mexicans and cubans with NO INCOME an US PASSPORT (they must only can swim)

Uh, wrong dear. They don't "give" mexicans a free US passport nor does the US government do this for Cubans. Mexicans only need to swim? I didn't know there was a body of water separating the US from Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmvanillasugar
but the people as i with an income (from Germany) over 120 $ K p.a. they dont give a passport, i must make a investement for 500 K or get married or win a GC.

You can get a passport if you are a legal resident and have lived legally in the US for a certain number of years. And if it is true that you're German, don't play the nationality law card as in your country one has to be a full blooded German to get a passport (though this recently changed a bit) but it is still by no means like in the US.

Not fair? If the world were fair it be square.

Next on line please.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 AM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times
Medicare is just as much to blame as those criminals are. The people at medicare are either too dumb to realize they are getting scammed or they are in on it. Either way they need to go and re-do the whole system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami