Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
The microbrew beers don't sell well here. I would say rum based drinks like the Mojito, Hurricane, and Sex on the Beach are simple Miami type drinks.

Lots of Jamaicans here drink Heineken & Guiness Extra Stout because the Red Stripe we get here is from NJ, not JA. The Red Stripe in JA is way different. Also, go to Holland and get a Heineken there. It ain't the same beer. The version is a Lager, the Dutch version is a Pilsner.
Yeah Guiness is another big one, but still nothing like Heineken there. I remember in Jamaica I was hanging with my brothers friends at a bar, and I went up to the bar to get the round of drinks (Heineken of course). The bartender then told me they ran out of Heineken, and I knew a substitute would not be satisfactory to them, so I went back to the table empty handed and told them what happened. They were absolutely stunned, horrified, I mean like the same look u get when u hear a family member's in the hospital. They were all just like "how the hell do u they not have Heineken?" (in patwa of course) "Bombacloooot!" We ended uo picking up and leaving for another bar... seriously. I was like "c'mon, yall cant be serious" but they wouldnt have it any other way, and were literally p*ssed off about it.

Another big drink, that I don't know if they even have in Miami, is Rum Cream by Appleton Rum. It tastes like chocolate milk and is made from rum, it's really, really good n gets u drunk after like 3 bottles. If anybody knows actually, please let me know.

Red Stripe, though some drink it, is not popular at all. It's like comparing the local store no name brand products to the big company manufacutred products. It's RC Cola to Coca Cola. It gives u such a beer belly too, after two weeks of drinkin that stuff down in JA, my stomach was already foldin over my pants (and its not the food cause their diets r really healthy for the most part). I can't blame them for not drinkin that crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 PM

39 posts, read 121,381 times
You can get Wray & Nephews Rum Cream here. Its been a while, but I'm sure I can find is at most Jamaican or Carribean stores, just like "Roots". Its been a while and that stuff can get "rough" if drink too many, LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Does Miami have a favorite Beer or Drink?-4067.jpg  

Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,435 times
Quote:
You can get Wray & Nephews Rum Cream here. Its been a while, but I'm sure I can find is at most Jamaican or Carribean stores, just like "Roots". Its been a while and that stuff can get "rough" if drink too many, LOL!
lol, yeah that's stuffs not to be taken lightly haha. Thanks, though. I'll have to check it out. I loved Appleton's Rum Cream.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I have seen rum poured in cafe cubano! Generally if it has rum, it could be considered a "Miami" drink.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 PM

24 posts, read 77,364 times
Default Aguardiente

Aguardiente is a nice Colombian drink. Probably not the "drink of the City," but I am sure that most Colombians and many from other nations drink it. Be careful, though. You are sitting down and taking shots of aguardiente, which is very good. The problem is that you don't know you're drunk until you try to get up. It is only 40% proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What about Agua Ardiente

Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 AM

102 posts, read 422,904 times
presidente has a definite presence here that i have not seen in other cities.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
Beer: Corona, Heineken, Presidente

Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Hey miamiblue, sadly you're right about Miami missing out on the microbrew movement. Although, it's getting a little better. Stop by any of the Total Wine stores and you'll flip your wig at the selection (at least 500 types of beer, easily). And some of the bars around sofla are waking up and smelling the roses as far as beer lists are concerned. Some that come to mind are the PRL pub in downtown Hollywood, the Falcon Pub in Davie, Zeke's and the Abbey(a nice, dark, hole in the wall brewpub) in south beach, and Titanic and Gordon Biersch in Miami/Coral Gables. I LOVE good beer, BUT, I also have been known to drink my share of cold, bubbly, latin american beers like Polar, Presidente, Cusquena, Prestige, Tropical, etc. Also, if anyone is into rare European beers try the PRL pub in Hollywood (Polish themed pub) or some of the restaurants/bars on Hollywood beach (I like the Hollywood Grill on the beach-it's a Russian/Armenian restaurant and you can get Obolon, Baltika, and Swituris which are Ukrainian, Russian, and Lithuanian, respectively). Not really typical south Florida stuff but still good nonetheless. I'm Cuban so I've had my share of mojitos and other tropical drinks. I also like Caipirinhas and Pisco sours. Jupina, Materva, Iron Beer, Malta, Ginseng Up, and Ting are all good non alcoholic tropical softdrinks too.
I love the Abbey and Titanic, those were two of my favorite hang out spots because of the beer selections. I did not know that Total Wine had stores in S FL - there are tons of them where I live now, so I know what they are and they are wonderful.

We also have a bar which is a franchise (although it is still only in a handful of cities) called Flying Saucer: Draught Emporium that I think could be great in a place like Miami if it had a more adventurous contingent of beer drinkers. Flying Saucer has probably close to a hundred (possibly more) beers on draft and even more in bottles. They have everything from Heineken to Chimay and back again, high gravity, etc. Tons of microbrews and imports, including seasonals, etc. The beer list is ever-changing. It is awesome.

Quote:
The microbrew beers don't sell well here. I would say rum based drinks like the Mojito, Hurricane, and Sex on the Beach are simple Miami type drinks.

Lots of Jamaicans here drink Heineken & Guiness Extra Stout because the Red Stripe we get here is from NJ, not JA. The Red Stripe in JA is way different. Also, go to Holland and get a Heineken there. It ain't the same beer. The version is a Lager, the Dutch version is a Pilsner.
Any ideas why microbrew beers are not big in S FL? The rum thing is obvious, but I thought beer was universal. Microbrews seem to be very popular in many other large cities across the country, mainly because they offer a wide variety of alternatives and styles, so even if you aren't a fan of a particular type of beer that a major brand produces, such as a lager or a brown ale, there are many others that might appeal.

As much as I love Guinness, the stuff that we get here has added preservatives and never tastes nearly as wonderful as what you get in Ireland, especially when enjoyed under a thatched roof.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:27 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
When I lived there the most popular drink on South Beach was MD2020! Schaefer and Schlitz 6packs were $3.00 and $2.00 respectively, so they garnered quite a following too.

As you can guess, I was one of those dirt poor South Beachers who lived large via frugality skills.

So many people here say how expensive MIA is, but I worked 3 days a week at near minimum wage and thrived. Sure, I didn't tour the glitz circuit, but I walked 2 blocks to the beach every morning. It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami