Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:17 PM

27 posts, read 194,643 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new here. I just got a job in Miami and I need help about my relocation down there. I don't know anything about Miami. My job is located on Key Biscayne and I would like to know where I should live to avoid a long commute. I am willing to commute for 35 to 40 minutes , anything longer than that is going to be too long for me. Of course I also want to live in an area where crime is low. I am interested in a 1 bedroom apart/condo but I really would like to spend no more than $1200/month for the rent. Am I being totally unrealistic? Please help! The more I read this forum the more depressed I am about living there, but I don't have much choice. I got a great job there, so I want to try.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 12:01 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
You can find a 1 bedroom in Coconut Grove/Roads/Brickell areas, all within shouting distance of Key Biscayne, but you probably need a head start so that you can check out specific situations: the quality may be spotty, both in terms of the apartment and the immediate neighborhood, but, just by the numbers, there are opportunities available.

The Roads area is generally good up to around 12 AV, while Brickell is also generally good up to around I-95, but even then there are seedy spots among all the ongoing construction sites. Coconut Grove is generally good along the coast, after that it is spotty.

If you want to up the quality in terms of apartment, building, immediate neighborhood, and commute, you may also consider a very nice studio (efficiency) along the coast across from Key Biscayne, assuming you live alone.

There are plenty of online sources for apartments in Miami, starting with Craigslist and the Miami Herald, and if you knew how to navigate to this site, you can navigate your way through the online sources for rentals.

There are also plenty of previous threads on the very question of moving to the downtown Miami area, generally speaking, so it may be worthwhile to search through those specific threads on the Miami sub-forum (including one with an extensive list of online sources for rentals).

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:21 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,790,429 times
I'm in the North Miami area (151st st 95 entrance) & it takes me 26 mins to get to Key Biscayne. This is Sun in the afternoon, so I don't know what it would be during rush hour, (& I'll NEVER understand why anyone would CHOOSE to drive during rush hour!!!!!! And yes it IS a choice...) but going South during the morning is gonna be BAD!!! The AM rush is going south TO Miami, PM rush is opposite - going north FROM Miami.
The ride to Key Biscayne is BEAUTIFUL though!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:05 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Default Specifying Previous Post

I should specify that you can find an apartment for $1200 or less ... then the rest.

Also, if you seek an apartment in a "professionally" managed rental community, be aware of various fees, in addition to the stated rent, that they stiff you with.

By head start I mean that the best thing is to come to Miami before your job starts to seek and check out specific situations, ideally negotiating directly with the owner of a potential rental, likely in this case a condominium.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:36 AM

19 posts, read 81,240 times
if i were you i wouldn't move to miami in fact i would have turned down the job and moved somewhere nicer, LIKE HELL. everyday living here you will live to regret it more and more. i'd give you a good year and you'll be packing your bags heading back. it really is awful here and thats an understatement

Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
To the original poster,

Please don't worry about the doom and gloom you have seen in the forum. Many of those posts, including mine, are speaking from someone who cannot afford 1200 for rent and who's commutes are much longer than your specified.

To have a good paying job in Miami will really improve things for you.

I highly recommend the grove (Coconut Grove). There are so many options... but one poster was correct...apartment conditions can be spotty. Beware of anything under 1,000. Above that you will find liveable apartments. I think for 1200 you could even find a nice renovated cottage or pool house behind a home in nearby Shenandoah/Silver Bluff (adjacent to the Roads). Also there are many Melrose Place type apartments in the grove. It has an Old Florida, tropical feeling. It is almost like being out of Miami. It has all of the positve qualities of South Florida living, and some of the nicer and more cultured residents. Traffic is bad and crime is always present EVERWHERE in South Florida, but I really think you would be happy here with your salary. A commute from the grove area to KB would be under 30 minutes depending on exact location.

Please don't be depressed about moving here, if you can afford to live here it truely is nice.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
If you were able to get a great job (60K a year + ) You're going to have a GREAT time living in Miami! With all the idiot investors buying overpriced condos, there's a ton of BRAND NEW "luxury" apartments for rent around the downtown area. Sure the crime is bad but within those buildings I doubt that it's really that dangerous. The problems is that if you wanted something more than an apartment, you'll find that Miami has little to offer. Also if you end up in one of the lower income areas ( I-95, US-1 to I-95 downtown) expect old decrepit buildings and noisy neighbors. I have a feeling, though that more and more rentals will be available in the comming years as investors who can't sell seek to hold their losses.

As someone who is seeing his income evaporate in taxes more and more, and is losing business due to incompetent suppliers and exorbinant health care and repeated break-ins it's amazing that any company can afford to offer good paying jobs unless they are in the real estate business. Miami's all about money, the more you take in the better your lifestyle PERIOD.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:12 AM

Thank you very much for all the advise! I feel a little bit better.

I have been looking on different sites but I had no idea about the commute so I was not sure where to look for apartments. My income is not quite as high as 60 k, it is 52 k, but expected to get a bit higher next year. I am not sure if I will stay here so I am not interested in buying quite yet. All I want is a nice apartment in a nice neighborhood. It looks like the groove would be a good option. So I guess if I want to go to Key Biscayne it is much better living in south Miami?
Anyway Thanks again for the nice advice.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene_soul View Post
if i were you i wouldn't move to miami in fact i would have turned down the job and moved somewhere nicer, LIKE HELL. everyday living here you will live to regret it more and more. i'd give you a good year and you'll be packing your bags heading back. it really is awful here and thats an understatement

Thanks for the advice, but like I have already specify, I found my dream job and I have lived in places where crime was omnipresent, I just don't want to live next to it. Also, I lived in the caribbean for years so the weather is not a concern, in the contrary. And If I realy don't like it I can move somewhere else. But what kind of people don't want to even give it a try to something they always wanted!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:54 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,164,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madinina200 View Post
Hi,

I am new here. I just got a job in Miami and I need help about my relocation down there. I don't know anything about Miami. My job is located on Key Biscayne and I would like to know where I should live to avoid a long commute. I am willing to commute for 35 to 40 minutes , anything longer than that is going to be too long for me. Of course I also want to live in an area where crime is low. I am interested in a 1 bedroom apart/condo but I really would like to spend no more than $1200/month for the rent. Am I being totally unrealistic? Please help! The more I read this forum the more depressed I am about living there, but I don't have much choice. I got a great job there, so I want to try.

Any suggestions?
Miami is beautiful and you'll love Key Biscayne. Hold the darts!!
Anyway, I don't know if you will have a car and would want to drive to and from work. You could find an apartment IN Key Biscayne too where you would not have to deal with the traffic as much. Or get a nice Coconut Grove apt. that is close to the Metrorail (our over the ground trains) but their routes are limited.
Another option, if you're by yourself, share a house or condo near where you'll be working. There are lots of young professionals who do that and it will buy you time until you know your way around (plus it will be cheaper).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami