Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
I spent two summers there in the early 90s. If your white know this. Sooner or later a racial hate crime WILL be commited against you.
Well myself and most people I know living in Miami are white, and no racial hate crimes have been committed against us. Maybe we're just really nice??

Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlow View Post
Wow. This thread is truly scaring me! I'm seriously contemplating moving to Miami from Los Angeles with my husband and one-year-old daughter to be closer to his wonderful family. We literally have no family here and I see how that absence diminishes the love my little girl knows. But these threads about MI-ami and high crime/low graduation rates are really starting to give me second thoughts. On my trips to visit family, I've definitely noticed a general lack of consideration for others. I mean, who answers a phone (OR TRANSLATES AN ENTIRE FILM) in a packed movie theater?! And then gets huffy when I suggest they act like considerate human beings! I'm starting to worry that this general lack of politeness is truly pervasive. Will my daughter, regardless of what school we place her in, be slammed up against a tide of selfish, self-absorbed kids? My husband and his family are Cuban and I truly love Latin culture, (you know there's a but coming) BUT I am also a little concerned with a strange hyper sexuality I think I've witnessed amongst many young Latin women there. Is there anything to that? Will my five year old be begging me for short skirts and lip gloss? Also, will I find anyone like me there? I'm white, protestant(ish), got a couple of relatively useless MAs from Berkeley, progressive, don't speak Spanish... yeah, it sucks to make yourself a stereotype, but there we have it. Also, are there any progressive schools in Miami ala San Francisco? Schools that have core values that focus on altruism, stewardship, the intellect over worrying about what others think about you? Am I going to be miserable there, people? Help...
Will you be miserable? I can't answer that, but the fact that you love Latin culture & your husband is Cuban (does he have family here?).

I'm going to get slammed for saying this, but personally, I can't wait to get the hell away from Miami. Part of the problem is me, part of the problem is Miami....we're just a bad cocktail that shouldn't be mixed.

There's really nothing for me here, so it makes the "negatives" of living here (reckless drivers, rudeness, lack of culture, corruption) a lot more difficult to live with. I think that if I were a beach/club person, or if I had many friends here, I'd be more inclined to put up with the BS here. See...nowhere is perfect, but you should aim to live in a place that you at least half like, or even just tolerate. Miami and its people are just too much for me...too loud, too obnoxious and too dramatic.

I will be leaving as soon as I have enough $$$ to make relocation possible, preferably when this never-ending recession comes to an end. I don't want perfection...I just want scenery, drivers who don't kill, semi-decent schools (for when my wife and I feel like having sprogs) and 4 actual seasons of the year, not just endless heat and humidity.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Will you be miserable? I can't answer that, but the fact that you love Latin culture & your husband is Cuban (does he have family here?).

I'm going to get slammed for saying this, but personally, I can't wait to get the hell away from Miami. Part of the problem is me, part of the problem is Miami....we're just a bad cocktail that shouldn't be mixed.

There's really nothing for me here, so it makes the "negatives" of living here (reckless drivers, rudeness, lack of culture, corruption) a lot more difficult to live with. I think that if I were a beach/club person, or if I had many friends here, I'd be more inclined to put up with the BS here. See...nowhere is perfect, but you should aim to live in a place that you at least half like, or even just tolerate. Miami and its people are just too much for me...too loud, too obnoxious and too dramatic.

I will be leaving as soon as I have enough $$$ to make relocation possible, preferably when this never-ending recession comes to an end. I don't want perfection...I just want scenery, drivers who don't kill, semi-decent schools (for when my wife and I feel like having sprogs) and 4 actual seasons of the year, not just endless heat and humidity.
Colorado seems like it would be really nice for you. Miami for you sounds like Colorado for me, so I bet you would like it. :P

People were driving 70 in the fast lane , i got 3 tickets in 3 days :P

It was pretty laid back with nice scenery, but not for me

Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Colorado seems like it would be really nice for you. Miami for you sounds like Colorado for me, so I bet you would like it. :P
New England is actually for me....don't know about Colorado -- never been there and not much into skiing, to be honest.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
New England is actually for me....don't know about Colorado -- never been there and not much into skiing, to be honest.
Then how could you complain about rude people in Miami?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Then how could you complain about rude people in Miami?
....because I witness the rudeness first hand, on a daily basis. Actually, to call it "rudeness" isn't strictly true. It's not New York-style rudeness, or people telling you to "go f**k yourself". I call it more of a general lack of respect, lack of manners, lack of consideration for others and a strange form of loud, overbearing, narcissistic, "Oye, I'll do whatever da f**k I want" kind of obnoxiousness that is very unique to Miami

Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
If you are a progressive why would it bother you if your daughter is sexually active at a pre-teen age or does drugs? I thought progressives were in favor of those things?
Wow...talk about misinformation. Sounds like a Rush Limbaugh spoon swallower.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I hate to tell you but Miami does NOT have the rudest people, even with me living here.
Where are they more rude than in Miami, I'd love to hear it!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Where are they more rude than in Miami, I'd love to hear it!
So would I!

The funny thing is, I'd learn to live with it, if Miami were a real city like New York, but it's not...there is no excuse for the rudeness.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Quote:
So would I!

The funny thing is, I'd learn to live with it, if Miami were a real city like New York, but it's not...there is no excuse for the rudeness.
How is Miami not a real city?! It has the 4th-largest metro area in the country, it has a ton of business, banks and financial companies, popular in tourism, world's 10th-busiest airport, huge seaport, lots of big arts events, fashion shows, all major sporting teams, big medical sector with great hospitals, diverse population, its got a commuter rail, trains, metro, people movers, 2nd-largest performing arts center, center of trade between the U.S. and Latin America, two national parks, expressways, big music and nightclub scene, great architecture, 3rd-largest skyline in the u.s., largest concentration of int'l banks in the U.S., popular in TV and movies, major universities, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Just because you may not like Miami does not make it any less of a city. Miami is a real city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami