Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 AM

549 posts, read 1,664,976 times

Advertisements

Website (Article) America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well - Forbes.com

Slideshow(Article), In Depth: America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well - Forbes.com

Doral ranks 2nd, Coral Gables ranks 9th and Kendall ranks 25th. We have 3 of the best places to live in the U.S.

According to Forbes, "
These regions boast cultural amenities, pro-business environments, highly educated workforces and enviable salaries."

"Doral, Fla., ranks second. Thirteen miles west of downtown Miami, 35,336-population Doral offers mild weather and access to world-class golf courses. It also has one of the nation's highest concentrations of small businesses per capita, especially surrounding aerospace and logistics."

2. Doral, Fla.

Population: 35,336
Median income: $70,895

Strongest categories: Doral is probably most famous for its world-class golf courses and resorts, but it's also a vibrant center of multinational importing and exporting businesses due to its proximity to the Miami airport. It ranks second for the number of sole proprietors running their own business and third for its share of young and educated workers. Thanks to the resort communities and high-end clientele, it also ranks toward the top for restaurants per capita.

Drawbacks: While there is plenty of entrepreneurial and smal- business activity in Doral, there aren't many cutting-edge companies developing new technologies or creating new fields. Its rank for venture capital cash and patents are low, despite its third place ranking for start-ups.

According to the Doral Website,

City of Doral - for all the right reasons! - Home (http://www.cityofdoral.com/cityofdoral/ - broken link)
City of Doral - for all the right reasons! - Doral #2 in America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well (http://www.cityofdoral.com/cityofdoral/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=246&Item id=44 - broken link)

City of Doral-Named Second Best Place to live in the U.S. by FORBES.COM

Doral, Florida – City of Doral continues to receive national media attention and recognition with Forbes.com being the most recent business news network to single out Doral as one of the best places to live in the country.

In an article published on Forbes.com, on May 6th, 2009, Doral is reported as the second best place to live in the United States (outranked by Boulder, Colorado) due to its number of museums, parks, bars, restaurants and cultural institutions per capita, all factors indicative of a favorable business environment. These also include patents, venture capital funding, sole proprietorships, starts-ups and small businesses per capita. Forbes derived its data from ZoomProspector.com, a San Francisco-based consulting firm specializing in corporate relocation.

“This trend of accolades for the City of Doral began with CNNMoney.com naming Doral one of the top places in the U.S. to live and start a business and BusinessWeek reaching the same conclusion. The residents of Doral already know what the rest of the country is finding out, Doral is the best place to Live, Work, Learn and Play” commented City of Doral Mayor Juan Carlos Bermudez.

Forbes.com surmised that although Doral is probably most famous for its world-class golf courses and resorts, it is also a vibrant center of multinational importing and exporting businesses due to its proximity to the Miami airport. It ranks second for the number of sole proprietors running their own business and third for its share of young and educated workers. It also ranks toward the top for restaurants per capita due to the resort communities found in Doral and high-end clientele.

According to Wikipedia,

Wiki Website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doral,_Florida

"For a city of its size, Doral has a large number of shops, financial institutions and businesses, especially importers and exporters, primarily because of its proximity to the Miami International Airport. In 2008, Fortune Small Business and CNN Money ranked Doral as 51 on a list of 100 cities with the best mix of business advantages and lifestyle appeal".

Doral Demographics,

Doral, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of the census of 2000, The racial makeup of the CDP was 84.02% White (24% were Non-Hispanic White), 2.66% African American, 0.07% Native American, 5.08% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 4.36% from other races, and 3.78% from two or more races. hispanic or Latino of any race were 67.44% of the population. Doral is the most Venezuelan city in the United States, at 8.22% Venezuelan.

As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as a first language accounted for 74.50%, while English accounted for 16.15%, portuguese was spoken by 5.02%, Chinese made up 0.97%, Tamil was at 0.64%, Japanese at 0.52%, and Arabic was the mother tongue for 0.50% of the population.

As of 2000, Doral had the highest percentage of Venezuelans residents in the US, with 8.22% of the populace (Weston was the second highest, with 4.10% of the populace.)It had the thirty-third highest percentage of Cuban residents in the US, at 15.20% of the city's population,and the sixth highest percentage of Colombian residents in the US, at 8.71% of the its population.It also had the tenth most Peruvians in the US, at 2.95%,while it had the forty-eighth highest percentage of Dominicans, at 2.64% of all residents. It had the thirteenth highest concentration of Brazilians, with 2.50% of the city (tied with Newark, NJ and Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts.) Doral's Nicaraguan community had the twenty-sixth highest percentage of residents, which comprised 1.69% of the population. It is also home to the fifty-first highest percentage of Ecuadorian residents, which made up 1.18% of the population.

Forbes data, May 2009
Wiki data, year 2000.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 05-08-2009 at 04:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Who did they pay off to get this rating? Doral is one of the most monllithic and traffic congested suburban areas in the USA. Perhaps they mean #1 in disappointment.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Who did they pay off to get this rating? Doral is one of the most monllithic and traffic congested suburban areas in the USA. Perhaps they mean #1 in disappointment.

Miami in general has a terrible traffic...

geez...dude...do you actually live in South Florida?

Last edited by Eduardo983; 05-08-2009 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
I disagree too. Whoever wrote that hasn't been on 41st or 36st Doral Blvd or whatever is called during traffic hours. In my opinion, the worse traffic I ever seen in any city, not just Miami.

Yes, and I live in Miami and I know the traffic pretty well, nothing compares to Doral's traffic, the closest is 836.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
I disagree too. Whoever wrote that hasn't been on 41st or 36st Doral Blvd or whatever is called during traffic hours. In my opinion, the worse traffic I ever seen in any city.

Coral way, and flagler are ten times worse... miami as a whole is a hell during traffic hours...

Hialeah...Kendall.... Coral Gables... the dolphin expressway... no matter your location, at 5 p.m you will be stuck in traffic.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM

45 posts, read 171,475 times
Kendall is 25th in the country

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times
Eduardo,

It's fruitless to post anything positive on South Florida. Whenever we receive a positive ranking for anything, they will come in groves and tell us why it is not and cannot be true!

Having said that, it is a bit enigmatic that Doral is so highly ranked. I mean it's not the worst place in Miami-Dade, but I would hardly consider it one of the better places to live. Traffic, urban sprawl, strip malls, overpriced homes, etc. As for great golf courses, even the crappy places here have them.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 AM

204 posts, read 813,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Coral way, and flagler are ten times worse... miami as a whole is a hell during traffic hours...

Hialeah...Kendall.... Coral Gables... the dolphin expressway... no matter your location, at 5 p.m you will be stuck in traffic.
Atlanta traffic is much worse than those areas. I haven't found traffic to be an issue here. Chicago traffic is also worse IMO.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 AM

45 posts, read 171,475 times
From reading their criteria I get the feeling this is not so much an evaluation on the best places to move your family but rather the best places to move or open up your own business. If that is the case, Doral makes more sense. I would never live in Doral but opening up a business there is not a bad idea. I do agree however that Doral was ranked a little to high. I am pretty sure they have not visited and rather just picture a little suburan resort town in their heads (ha ha ha)

Coral Gables would be a perfect replacement for Doral's Spot. this city is both a great place to live and work and has a lot more class than Doral.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 AM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3d View Post
Atlanta traffic is much worse than those areas. I haven't found traffic to be an issue here. Chicago traffic is also worse IMO.
Agree with you 100%. I used to commute from Chicago to Hoffman Estates (I lived in Bucktown) - the worst traffic I ever experienced in my life, especially approaching the tolls on I-90 around O Hare. Of course, the drivers aren't as agressive as they are here, but at least the traffic in Miami moves. Even the Dolphin at rush hour is nothing in comparison.

But the traffic in Doral still sucks nevertheless. Just because it's 'not as bad' doesn't mean its not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami