Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Isn't the confederate flag just another example of multiculturalism? Why can't Southerners be allowed to participate in the multiculturalism charade?
No they only want non-white "culture" to be called multiculturalism. The irony is that the ultimate worldwide minority is the White person. Southerner and Northerner, European, Scandinavian, all represent multiple cultures. It is the ultimate hypocrisy to want to exclude the historical south secessionists from American culture.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM

578 posts, read 1,777,751 times
You know people today should go back and read American History. The overwhelming number of "Southerners" fighting in the Civil war did not nor did they ever own slaves. The war in fact was never about Slavery but about States Rights. The federal government (just like today) got way too big and certain people from certain states were trying to control what was going on. It was turning into King George and people were fed up. Same as today.

The slavery issue was a comprimise issue that in fact became part of the argument only when Henry Clay from Kentucky, Stephen Douglas from Illinois and President Franklin Pierce from New Hampshire (who was President at the time) wanted to expand slavery in the Northwest territory. It was the Kansas-Nebraska act that further fueled the situation and caused the final rift that led to war.

It was in fact Northerners who wanted to expand slavery. As far as the KKK goes, it has it's roots in Indiana where the last big organized group was finally put to rest after a scandal involving it's leader.

Too bad people have selective memories when it comes to History.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
No they only want non-white "culture" to be called multiculturalism. The irony is that the ultimate worldwide minority is the White person. Southerner and Northerner, European, Scandinavian, all represent multiple cultures. It is the ultimate hypocrisy to want to exclude the historical south secessionists from American culture.

See: White guilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 PM

29 posts, read 62,601 times
its only a flag, the flag makes some natives happy because is the only one thing they teach in the schools in Florida, no other cultures or education but the constitution talks about liberty of expression, I think it's untiamerican because they live in "the UNITED estates" not in the "SOUTHERN CONFEDERATE" estates of america

Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,002 times
As a black male born and raised in southeast Texas, I have seen more than my fair share of Confederate Flags. Am I offended by it? Not at all. I had a couple of highschool friends who's parents flew flags over their homes, and this was in a neighborhood where the average home price was 250k (that yeilds a lot of house here in Texas). They were the most polite, loving people I've met and at the same time they were straight up with me. They didn't walk on eggshells around me and I appreciated that. It tought me to respect other peoples opinions without righting them off or labeling them. My parents were a little alarmed but after meeting them they found out that they had many political and social views aligned with each others. Now, I wouldn't fly an Confederate Flag around any of my property because its the Flag of a team that lost IMO. But I think its rediculous to ask someone to take down a flag on their own property.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:01 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
As a black male born and raised in southeast Texas, I have seen more than my fair share of Confederate Flags. Am I offended by it? Not at all. I had a couple of highschool friends who's parents flew flags over their homes, and this was in a neighborhood where the average home price was 250k (that yeilds a lot of house here in Texas). They were the most polite, loving people I've met and at the same time they were straight up with me. They didn't walk on eggshells around me and I appreciated that. It tought me to respect other peoples opinions without righting them off or labeling them. My parents were a little alarmed but after meeting them they found out that they had many political and social views aligned with each others. Now, I wouldn't fly an Confederate Flag around any of my property because its the Flag of a team that lost IMO. But I think its rediculous to ask someone to take down a flag on their own property.
That is awesome...

Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
Suggested reading "Black Red Necks and White Liberals" by Thomas Sowell. This is the true history of racism, slavery and liberalism.

----------

Yes, there were many mulattoe creoles in Louisiana and Comanches in many states of the Confederacy that owned slaves. Not to mention the many owners that had black blood but that were "passed as whites" in times when having some back blood "gave a meaning of fortitude".

Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 AM

578 posts, read 1,777,751 times
In actuality well over 90 percent of Southerners were too poor to own slaves. It was the Plantation owners who were either foreigners or connected to the Cotton industry that owned slaves. Had the people from the north boycotted cotton or were more proactive in taxing items made by slave labor the issue could have been ended. This was an issue that all states wrestled with from the very beginning of the country.

Somehow people think that America invented slavery. Slavery dates back thousands of years and is still in existance in some parts of Africa. It was in fact Africans that were selling other Africans to the slave traders that brought them here and to other parts of the continent.

The real issue is over a symbol. Yes to some this symbol is about hate and to others it is about pride. If you get rid of this symbol I guess the next symbol to get rid of would be the American flag because since America was a slave nation and this was our flag, it is also about hate.

What these people need to do is focus their fake offendedness (don't know if that is a word) on other issues like how they can help their community. Spending energy on these issues is not worth it. Time to move on.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
Quote:

Somehow people think that America invented slavery. Slavery dates back thousands of years and is still in existance in some parts of Africa. It was in fact Africans that were selling other Africans to the slave traders that brought them here and to other parts of the continent.

The real issue is over a symbol. Yes to some this symbol is about hate and to others it is about pride. If you get rid of this symbol I guess the next symbol to get rid of would be the American flag because since America was a slave nation and this was our flag, it is also about hate.

What these people need to do is focus their fake offendedness (don't know if that is a word) on other issues like how they can help their community. Spending energy on these issues is not worth it. Time to move on.
Well said. Islam still justifies slavery, which makes sense since they are still in the 7th century).

Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Quote:

What perpetuates the "hate" symbol is the culture in the South. For someone who is not used to seeing blacks and whites not integrating(more common in small towns) it's hard to separate the two. It is what it is. Let them fly it if they want to, but all I see are traditions that I despise. Sorry, it's hard to see segregation when you are not used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami