Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,675,435 times

Advertisements

The article is here: NAACP, Homestead council in dispute over Confederate flag - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1056521.html - broken link)

What do you all think about this? I think that although some are offended by the Confederate flag, it is not a hate symbol and should not be banned from public spaces and gatherings.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
confederate flag to me is a symbol of arrogance and folly.
i do not wave my mistakes over my head after i have made them.
General robert e lee pleaded with the south not to attack, they would not listen.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
confederate flag to me is a symbol of arrogance and folly.
i do not wave my mistakes over my head after i have made them.
General robert e lee pleaded with the south not to attack, they would not listen.
OK, but do you think symbols of "arrogance and folly" should be banned in public spaces if they offend some people? To me, the Confederate flag is not a hate symbol and it would be a violation of one's First Amendment rights to ban its use and display in public spaces.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
Just celebrating my German heritage - you don't mind, do ya?

I think the Confederate flag is appropriate in a museum. I don't disagree that pride in those who had the gumption to stand up for what they believed in is laudable. True soldiers respect the bravery of their enemy combatants. But like the symbol above, the Confederate flag is a symbol that caused the death of 600 thousand precious human beings and the maiming and enslavement of millions of others. The gruesomeness it symbolizes outweighs the valor IMHO.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,387,285 times
As usual, it's a bunch of idiots who only see the 1st amendment as a one-way street.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Just celebrating my German heritage - you don't mind, do ya?

I think the Confederate flag is appropriate in a museum. I don't disagree that pride in those who had the gumption to stand up for what they believed in is laudable. True soldiers respect the bravery of their enemy combatants. But like the symbol above, the Confederate flag is a symbol that caused the death of 600 thousand precious human beings and the maiming and enslavement of millions of others. The gruesomeness it symbolizes outweighs the valor IMHO.
I disagree that the Confederate flag is an appropriate comparison to the swastika. To my knowledge, the Confederate flag is a symbol of the American South and the secessionist movement; not a symbol of slavery or hate. I am not culturally "Southern" and have absolutely no affinity for the Confederacy or its flag. However, I disagree with disallowing its use and display in public places because the way I see it, it is not a symbol that is widely considered hateful.

How would you all react if I were to tell you that the image of Che Guevara is offensive to me because he murdered hundreds of people in Cuba for speaking out against the revolution, practicing religion, and being gay? I am not really that offended by seeing his image all over posters and t-shirts, but I know many people who get quite upset and offended when they see this. Should Che's image be banned just because these people are offended? If the Confederate flag is a "hate" symbol, why isn't the famous picture of Che that is worn on t-shirts, seen on posters, and displayed at parades and protests? Both images evoke hate in at least some people's minds.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,435,450 times
The Confederate Flag doesn't have anything to do with the NSDAP flag.
The Union committed far more atrocities that the CSA.
For example, planned annihilation of Confederate prisoners, planned destruction of Southern cities and culture and predatory behaviour in the South.
Carpetbaggers, imposition of black politicians just for humiliation, rape, torching of cotton crops and destruction of any Industry competing against Industrial North.
The result, a blighted country for generations to come.
Maybe Southeners should ban the Union flag in the South.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I disagree that the Confederate flag is an appropriate comparison to the swastika. To my knowledge, the Confederate flag is a symbol of the American South and the secessionist movement; not a symbol of slavery or hate. I am not culturally "Southern" and have absolutely no affinity for the Confederacy or its flag. However, I disagree with disallowing its use and display in public places because the way I see it, it is not a symbol that is widely considered hateful.
I agree 100%.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
As usual, it's a bunch of idiots who only see the 1st amendment as a one-way street.
Nowadays, if you are a minority or a liberal, it is a one way street. Like when gay Hollywood trounced on Miss California; the 'womens rights' groups (which were hijacked and are now comandeered by lesbians) didn't utter a word in her defense. If anything, they joined the hate bandwagon.

Minority + Gay + Liberal = political gold nowadays. Everybody (including the current political establishment) will rush to your defense.

White + Strait + Conservative = nobody cares when people step on your values.

Last edited by cuba libre; 05-20-2009 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
Another perfect example of how stupid we have become.

If the flag bothers you do not look at it.

Next thing you wont be able to use the word south, or utter the words confederate.

Go ahead give up all your rights and freedoms.

I agree with the California deal also, just because a few freaks did not like what she said they acted like she did something wrong and they were the victims.

People need to get over it and move on with your life. You can fly what ever flag you want, I could care less.

Dont people find it odd that the same people whining about this flag are some of the same people who are supporting the buy black only business idea? What is the difference? To me for someone to push the above is far worse then any silly flag.

Again, another liberals it is ok for me to do it but it is not ok for you.

Getting old real quick and getting worse by the day.

NAACP needs to spend more time helping kids learn to read and how to be responsible then spending their time trying to take away someone rights like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami