Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Orlando similar to Miami?
Yes 16 19.51%
No 66 80.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I did not say anything about Puerto Ricans in Miami so I'm not sure where you got that from. But alas, I still do not see any info where Orlando is second to New York in terms of Puerto Ricans in the U.S.... and in the northeast in cities like Hartford, CT there is a bigger presence of Puerto Ricans than in Orlando.

Here are the major Puerto Rican populations in the U.S.:

Some cities that have a higher percentage of Puerto Ricans than Orlando:

Hartford, CT Wrong
Camden, NJ Wrong
Bronx, NY Possibly
Perth Amboy, NJ Wrong
Newark, NJ Wrong
Lancaster, PA Wrong, unless it's a burb of Philly.

In terms of Miami-Dade the city with the most Puerto Ricans is Miami Gardens followed by South Miami Heights.
I already showed you that Orlando, Miami, and Tampa has 3 of the top 10 largest PR populations, so why would you think all these other cities have more than Orlando? The information is in the article I posted. The article actually proved me wrong though - Orlando has the 4th largest PR population behind NYC, Philly and Chicago. It's right there in the article. But remember, this data is from 2000, and I am almost 100% sure that Orlando has taken 2nd place now in PR population, passing Chicago and Philly. Also remember, Chicago, Philly and NYC have TONS more people than Orlando, so just imagine what the population per capita is in Orlando. If Orlando passed Chicago and Philly since 2000 in sheer numbers, just imagine the impact on a place like Orlando, which is much smaller in population, so it is much more evident. Like I said, all this is in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:13 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I already showed you that Orlando, Miami, and Tampa has 3 of the top 10 largest PR populations, so why would you think all these other cities have more than Orlando? The information is in the article I posted. The article actually proved me wrong though - Orlando has the 4th largest PR population behind NYC, Philly and Chicago. It's right there in the article. But remember, this data is from 2000, and I am almost 100% sure that Orlando has taken 2nd place now in PR population, passing Chicago and Philly. Also remember, Chicago, Philly and NYC have TONS more people than Orlando, so just imagine what the population per capita is in Orlando. If Orlando passed Chicago and Philly since 2000 in sheer numbers, just imagine the impact on a place like Orlando, which is much smaller in population, so it is much more evident. Like I said, all this is in the article.
Based on percentages here are the cities with the highest percentages of Puerto Ricans in the U.S.:

Yeehaw Junction, FL populated place 36.64
Holyoke, MA city 36.5
Hartford, CT city 32.56
Camden, NJ city 28.85
Perth Amboy, NJ city 27.79
Poinciana, FL populated place 27.76
Azalea Park, FL populated place 24.79
Lancaster, PA city 24.34
Bronx, NY borough 23.96
Kissimmee, FL city 23.66
Vineland, NJ city 23.61
Reading, PA city 23.46
Springfield, MA city 23.18
Bridgeport, CT city 23.06
Lawrence, MA city 21.95
New Britain, CT city 21.94
Willimantic, CT populated place 20.92
Windham, CT town 19.52
Egg Harbor City, NJ city 19.36
Ellenville, NY village 17.85
Southbridge, MA town 17.62
Woodbine, NJ borough 17.6

If Orlando is 14% as you say then these cities have higher percentages as I stated. Kissimmee is on the list though.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 AM

But remember, since 2000, the number of PR's in Orlando has doubled. So 14% is probably a low number. Also remember, a town like Reading PA might have (just guessing) 50,000 people, so 23% seems like a lot, accounting for almost 12,000 of that 50,000 pop.

But if Orlando has 2 million in the metro area, and say, now, in 2009, the PR population is now at 23%, your talking about over 500,000 PR's. So based on those numbers, NYC, Philly, and Chicago would be the only cities with more PR's than Orlando. Also, being that this info is as of 2000, I'm almost positive that Orlando has passed Chicago and Philly. Like I said, I've heard over and over again that we were 2nd in PR population, behind only NYC.

If you read the article I posted, it is basically talking about how Orlando is 2nd to only NYC, and how much Orlando has changed.... and since that was in 2000, the changes are waaaaaay more so than they even thought. Our Orlando in 2009 is much different than in 2000. Much, much different.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:28 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
But remember, since 2000, the number of PR's in Orlando has doubled. So 14% is probably a low number. Also remember, a town like Reading PA might have (just guessing) 50,000 people, so 23% seems like a lot, accounting for almost 12,000 of that 50,000 pop.

But if Orlando has 2 million in the metro area, and say, now, in 2009, the PR population is now at 23%, your talking about over 500,000 PR's. So based on those numbers, NYC, Philly, and Chicago would be the only cities with more PR's than Orlando. Also, being that this info is as of 2000, I'm almost positive that Orlando has passed Chicago and Philly. Like I said, I've heard over and over again that we were 2nd in PR population, behind only NYC.

If you read the article I posted, it is basically talking about how Orlando is 2nd to only NYC, and how much Orlando has changed.... and since that was in 2000, the changes are waaaaaay more so than they even thought. Our Orlando in 2009 is much different than in 2000. Much, much different.
I just don't see Orlando as much different demographically than most major Florida cities. In fact based upon the U.S. Census (Census Bureau Home Page) it has less Hispanics than other major areas in Florida. I do understand what you mean though, that would still make Orlando different in terms of the people that live in certain areas versus who lived there nine years ago.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM

[quote=PBCboy;9368012]Based on percentages here are the cities with the highest percentages of Puerto Ricans in the U.S.:

Yeehaw Junction, FL populated place 36.64
Holyoke, MA city 36.5
Hartford, CT city 32.56
Camden, NJ city 28.85
Amboy, NJ city 27.79
Poinciana, FL 27.76 <--- Orlando Metro
Azalea Park, FL 24.79 <--- Orlando
Lancaster, PA city 24.34
Bronx, NY borough 23.96
Kissimmee, FL city 23.66 <--- Orlando Metro
Vineland, NJ city 23.61
Reading, PA city 23.46
Springfield, MA city 23.18
Bridgeport, CT city 23.06
Lawrence, MA city 21.95
New Britain, CT city 21.94
Willimantic, CT populated place 20.92
Windham, CT town 19.52
Egg Harbor City, NJ city 19.36
Ellenville, NY village 17.85
Southbridge, MA town 17.62
Woodbine, NJ borough 17.6

If Orlando is 14% as you say then these cities have higher percentages as I stated. Kissimmee is on the list though.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:31 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-latin-6.html

It has been discussed (sort of) in the "City vs City" forum on C-D. Post number 57 talks about Orlando and another poster mentions Orlando now having the 2nd largest PR population outside of NYC. But anyway, no point arguing over it.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm trying but I cant sell my house. Everyone is returning back to NJ and leaving their houses here in foreclosure.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Well, PR are Americans, aren't they?
They are your people, the island you invaded in 1898.
They are not Latin Americans.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
Miami is closer to Philly or Newark. Orlando is more like LA. But as of the negatives, there seem to be more in Miami than Orlando. More humidity, heat and rain. More, much more, crime. More bad drivers. And more language strife. By the later I mean that in some areas of Orlando there are a lot of Spanish speaking people but they have no problem in switching back and forth between Spanish and English to accomodate those that don't speak the language of Cervantes. In Miami, on the other hand, there are places that you find people that think that speaking in Spanish is their right to the point of expecting that everyone else has a duty to speak Spanich also. And if you don't speak Spanish is your fault and you're not carrying on your duty no matter were you come from.About crime, there are travel agents that would recomend Cuba to prospective Canadian tourists for fear that they can be muged in Miami.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:58 AM

416 posts, read 1,090,067 times
Quote:
The weather, the people, the road rage, the crime, the language spoken, where people are from (Latin America, Central America, or NY/NJ), the rude people, the terrible drivers... YUP! PRETTY SIMILAR! Not to the extent of Miami in these aspects, but getting close.

Miami is on the coast, and Orlando would still be (IMO) a better place to live though.
Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami