Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Orlando similar to Miami?
Yes 16 19.51%
No 66 80.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Could you please explain what you think I am exaggerating about? The foreclosures, the theft? What was it that I said that you are having a hard time believing? I'm not saying this in a rude way at all, I promise. I'm just trying to figure out what it is that I said that you think I am exaggerating.
I believe you about the foreclosures and crime in your area. I do think your exagerrating the Spanish issue though, unless you live right off Semoran Blvd. On the rare occassions If I hear people speaking exclusively in Spanish to each other it's usually the staff at a McDonald's, or one of those kinds of places. Even they know how to take the orders in English. It's rare that I encounter someone in everyday life (one to one) that speaks no English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, its funny how so many people from Orlando try to compare themselves to Miami.
I dont think we want to, it's the scary thought of it, atleast in many folks' case, bringing the comparison.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
It's not constant 'Spanish only' here. Maybe it is in the part of East Orlando where scientifical lives, but not most of the city. Although I think he's exaggerating about about his neighborhood as well.

Other than some Puerto Rican teens at a Wendy's and a few in Downtown Disney .. I heard no Spanish the entire week I was up there in January with my family ... did all of the Hispanics that the mad scientist constantly harps about "hide" while I was up there with my family ????

Most of Orlando feels like any other mid size city in the US. There is some embellishing on this forum that borders on the absurd .

Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Thank God.......NO!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
I agree, its funny how so many people from Orlando try to compare themselves to Miami.
Funny to you perhaps. This thread was started by you as a attempt to win an argument you were loosing badly.

Your lame attempt to say that Orlando had far more in common with Jacksonville than Miami in architetural styles & neighborhoods is utterly ridiculous in my opinion. It was also meant as a diss to Orlando, while backhandedly giving props to Miami.

I still stand by my original stance that using those criteria, Miami and Orlando are more similar than not - especially when you bring Jacksonville into the mix.

Don't see too many brick homes in either place, do you? Jacksonville is full of them.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I still stand by my original stance that using those criteria, Miami and Orlando are more similar than not - especially when you bring Jacksonville into the mix.
Well according to the poll you are one of the few that thinks Orlando is comparable in any way to Miami. Actually Orlando can not even compare to Tampa or Jacksonville because it is the only major city in Florida that does not have a beach. But in vide and everything else Orlando is comparable to Tampa and Jacksonville. Miami is in a league of its own in Florida.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Well according to the poll you are one of the few that thinks Orlando is comparable in any way to Miami. Actually Orlando can not even compare to Tampa or Jacksonville because it is the only major city in Florida that does not have a beach. But in vide and everything else Orlando is comparable to Tampa and Jacksonville. Miami is in a league of its own in Florida.
Again, you are deflecting what the original discussion was about. I believe I mentioned to you the minute you started this poll that South Floridians would not agree with me, you knew it and your silly poll prooves it. How convenient that you continue to ignore my point about Orlando's new Downtown architecture and neighborhood makeup. VIBE was NEVER part of the original argument - you snuck that in when you started this silly contest.

Beaches have NOTHING to do with the original argument either. You know that. This is just further proof that people like you that have an ax to grind with Florida ALWAYS give Miami a pass, because you percieve it to be Northern. Anything Southern in your minds, i.e. Orlando, Tampa & Jacksonville equals bad and/or subpar.

Pretty weak, in my opinion. I consider this entire situation to just be more thinly veiled South bashing. You and I both know it, as do many others.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Other than some Puerto Rican teens at a Wendy's and a few in Downtown Disney .. I heard no Spanish the entire week I was up there in January with my family ... did all of the Hispanics that the mad scientist constantly harps about "hide" while I was up there with my family ????

Most of Orlando feels like any other mid size city in the US. There is some embellishing on this forum that borders on the absurd .
You were in the downtown area, much different from East and South Orange County. Orlando has the 2nd highest PR population in the US. Maybe they all decided to hide when you got here, thousands and tyhousands of them... likely story man.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Again, you are deflecting what the original discussion was about. I believe I mentioned to you the minute you started this poll that South Floridians would not agree with me, you knew it and your silly poll prooves it. How convenient that you continue to ignore my point about Orlando's new Downtown architecture and neighborhood makeup. VIBE was NEVER part of the original argument - you snuck that in when you started this silly contest.

Beaches have NOTHING to do with the original argument either. You know that. This is just further proof that people like you that have an ax to grind with Florida ALWAYS give Miami a pass, because you percieve it to be Northern. Anything Southern in your minds, i.e. Orlando, Tampa & Jacksonville equals bad and/or subpar.

Pretty weak, in my opinion. I consider this entire situation to just be more thinly veiled South bashing. You and I both know it, as do many others.

Man, I wish! Jax has some southerness to it for sure, but Orlando and/or Tampa? Nah... on the outskirts maybe, but overall, it's more Northern/Midwestern and Latin feeling.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
You were in the downtown area, much different from East and South Orange County. Orlando has the 2nd highest PR population in the US. Maybe they all decided to hide when you got here, thousands and tyhousands of them... likely story man.
I already highlighted the areas that my family and I visited ... Wyndermere , Dr. Phillips , Long Wood , Winter Park , Downtown Orlando , nearby Deland and Mount Dora and nope I did not hear much Spanish .. sorry to break your heart and yes maybe "they" were all hiding when we were there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami