Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 21,512 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are moving to Miami and trying to learn the lay of the land. I think that I would prefer the lifestyle in Fort Lauderdale from what I have been told, but I understand the daily commute from there is simply 'not a good idea' and should be avoided at all costs.

So.... the question becomes, where to live?

Here is a quick bio: Basically, I am looking for a nicer part of town; safe; good neighborhoods; social-fun-polite people. Since everyone who has met me seems to classify me as a WASP, then I guess that is what I am.... although, I like to think of myself as much more hip than that (but, it probably ain't so). I am trying to determine where we will fit in best. We are a young couple, no kids, young 30s, professional, MBAs, lived in latin america for years, but have a "been there", "done that" attitude about latin culture... if there is a latin vibe, "great", if not then, "no big deal". We never go clubing; prefer to go to dinner with friends. Dont want to spend a bundle, but dont want to regret being too cheap and living some place that's is just lacking. We will be renting for the first year.

So... what do ya think? Where should we live?

Many thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike177 View Post
I am looking for a nicer part of town; safe; good neighborhoods; social-fun-polite people. Since everyone who has met me seems to classify me as a WASP, then I guess that is what I am.. We are a young couple, no kids, young 30s, professional, MBAs, lived in latin america for years, but have a "been there", "done that" attitude about latin culture...

Do you really have to move? Honestly I don't think this place is for you.

But let's be positive...

I STRONGLY suggest you rent before you buy. Maybe live in Miami and if you really hate it, consider commuting to Broward.

What is your monthly budget? The only places I can think of, in Miami that you might like are Brickell, Miami Shores, Pinecrest and Maybe (a BIG maybe) Miami Lakes & Coral Gables. Places like Kendall, Hialeah and Homestead you will hate.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 07-16-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 23,832 times
Mike, My husband and I are moving down from New England soon. We've been researching neighborhoods for months, in depth. We've decided hands down on the Brickell area. Like you, we are young 30's and professional. We do have kids though... I don't think there is a big 'kid' population in the area (more on Brickell Key it sounds), but they have a great "A" graded school, which was a major pull for us. Due to the obvious housing crisis, it really seems as though you can rent something new...and very nice for under 2K/ month. I don't know where you are coming from.....but that is a deal for us since housing is so steep where we are now. We pay about the same amount for junk...an no amenities...trust me! We don't club or anything either...I guess we're just 'regular people'.... There are thousands of people in that neighborhood...and I am pretty convinced there is 'something for everyone'...so I'm not too concerned about fitting in... I don't think you should be either. Not that this helps you...but since we are in similar boats, I thought I would chime in.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Moderator cut: Not allowed I personally like the Brickell area myself and is a good area for young married professionals without children. It is an up and coming area with new restaurants having been built ,along with a plethora of new skyscrapers,it is pricey but definitely a beautiful area,plus you have the metrorail that will take you to quite a few destinations of your choice.

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-16-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
mike

Quote:
We are moving to Miami and trying to learn the lay of the land. I think that I would prefer the lifestyle in Fort Lauderdale from what I have been told, but I understand the daily commute from there is simply 'not a good idea' and should be avoided at all costs
Totally your choice but I would not live in Fort Lauderdale and commute to downtown Miami. Unless you are willing to drive to the tri rail station and then take that down and transfer to metrorail which will then take you downtown. Then you can walk where ever you need to go form ther.

Quote:
So.... the question becomes, where to live?
Brickell or the grove maybe?

Quote:
Here is a quick bio: Basically, I am looking for a nicer part of town; safe; good neighborhoods; social-fun-polite people. Since everyone who has met me seems to classify me as a WASP, then I guess that is what I am.... although, I like to think of myself as much more hip than that (but, it probably ain't so). I am trying to determine where we will fit in best. We are a young couple, no kids, young 30s, professional, MBAs, lived in latin america for years, but have a "been there", "done that" attitude about latin culture... if there is a latin vibe, "great", if not then, "no big deal". We never go clubing; prefer to go to dinner with friends. Dont want to spend a bundle, but dont want to regret being too cheap and living some place that's is just lacking. We will be renting for the first year.
I say brickell, park west or the grove.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
The best advice for anyone who is moving to Miami, is to rent for a year. This way you will get to know the different areas much better before you buy something. If you are going to work in downtown Miami, the best thing would be to rent one of the many empty condos in downtown Miami. Or look in the Brickell area for a condo for rent. This way you would be close to work, not much traffic and you can spend more time figuring the lay of the land having fun, vs. sitting in traffic 2-3 hours a day from Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 AM

46 posts, read 165,538 times
CMARY, which "A" school is in Brickell?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,076 times
lots of charter schools in and near downtown.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 23,832 times
Urbanize-- Southside Elementary--they are graded A and have been for years. Check out their website- or the miami dade school info.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM

46 posts, read 165,538 times
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami