Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 AM

10 posts, read 18,319 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I'm trying to decide between Miami and Denver to live in. I'll give you some background info. I love warm weather and the beach, but I also like snow and the mountain views. I love the outdoors and like going to parks. Lots of crime= not for me. AlsO, I love sports, especially baseball games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
I would say you're probably best in Miami and here's why:

Warm weather: Check
Beach: Check

Snow: No snow, but keep in mind that many resorts up north begin making snow in late October, early November. South Florida has three major airports you can choose from, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. With a number of carriers, chances are you'll likely find a good deal .

Obviously South Florida is flat as a pancake, so Denver wins there.

Everglades National Park is right out your back door and is filled with hiking, bird watching, kayaking, etc. you also have urban parks like Bayfront Park in Downtown, as well as things like picnic islands which are located in Biscayne Bay and are uninhabited little islands you can boat over to and explore, picnic, etc.

Key Biscayne also has Bill Baggs State Park which is home to wonderful beaches, walking and biking trails, and more.

There are plenty of other parks like Wainwright, Flamingo in Miami Beach, Oleta up near Ft. Lauderdale, etc.

South Florida is home to many pro-sports teams including the Dolphins, Miami Marlin (formerly the FL Marlin... their new stadium is being worked on now in Miami) as well as obviously the Heat and some college teams, UM, FIU.

Now, crime. Crime can be bad and plentiful in certain areas. Note the term certain!

In order to better assist you with deciding if South Florida is right for you, knowing your budget (rental or purchasing) and housing needs (beds/baths, single family, condo, etc) as well as your job will allow people here to better tell you if the Miami area is right for you. Like any other city, your opinion of Miami will most likely be based on how comfortable your lifestyle is. If you are scrapping to get by and can only afford a place in say Liberty City, you will be miserable, no doubt about it. If you can afford a reasonable place in either Coral Gables, South Miami, parts of Coconut Grove, Brickell, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, and many others, you'll most likely have a good time here.

You will find many people on this forum bashing Miami, some for good reason, other is totally false.

Miami has its good points and bad points, the key to success is not rushing into anything, doing exhaustive research, and IMO like what I've been doing for a long time now, sampling different parts of the city and staying for a while.

Don't simply come and play tourist, come like you live here.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,325,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .img View Post
Alright, so I'm trying to decide between Miami and Denver to live in. I'll give you some background info. I love warm weather and the beach, but I also like snow and the mountain views. I love the outdoors and like going to parks. Lots of crime= not for me. AlsO, I love sports, especially baseball games.
Where are you moving from? Miami and Denver are vastly different. I've been to both cities and the scene is totally different. Denver is a great city, but job market is not so great (same can be said about MIA). Midwesterns are great folks, good manners and values. South Florida is a real mixed-bag in terms of the people. The skiing/snowboarding in CO can't be beat. And hiking in CO is amazing as well. If you're an avid boater and jet skiier than you have to look at south Florida. If you're just interested in the beach, I am not sure you will use it enough to enjoy SF. Denver is a little more mature/civilized. Miami is still growing up. You might be turned off by that. You really need to visit both at least for a week.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,269,437 times
"Don't simply come and play tourist, come like you live here."

and when you do. do not give anyone the benefit of the doubt if they are rude and think they just had a bad day. that is plain and simple what you will be dealing with all the time.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 AM

10 posts, read 18,319 times
@ Miami life
I'm moving from the Baltimore area

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
.img have you considered California by chance. California by chance, you can have the beach warm weather and then a short drive be in the mountains skiing...Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami