Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,637 times

Advertisements

hi

im from orlando and recently moved out of state. I am looking to return to florida, but to Miami and MDC for the nursing program.
i am uncertain if i will be moving down with a friend, if not it will be just me
-what are living suggestions (where is good/safe and safe ways to find roommates)
-is it easy to make new friends at this stage in the game?

or any other suggestions anyone can offer me

help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
If you are going to go to college, you should be able to meet people in the nursing program. What is your price range, this would give us a better idea of were to suggest? Do you know which campus MDC nursing program is located at?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Make sure you still have state residency in order to be eligible for in state tuition still!! That is my first piece of advise.

Go on craigslist and look for roommates there. If you don't find that works for you, rent an efficiency on SOBE...that would be cheap and keep you near Wolfson's downtown campus.

Once I put an ad in....I want to say it was the Miami Times, it was before the internet was so dominant, and I had TONS of calls. Mind you I lived in Fontainebleau at the time so it wasn't like it was luxry living. There are a lot of people out there looking to a break on rent and bills, just be careful who you pair up with.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 PM

69 posts, read 178,694 times
Be careful about MDC, I have a co-worker who complaints about
her teachers all the time. Her teachers can barely speak any English,
she says she has been discriminated once or twice for being the only
white girl in the classroom.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 AM

All of my professors were very good and "spoke English." I can assure you that if someone is discriminated at MDC, there are channels in place to vent any grievence. I really doubt though that any of the professors are gunning agaist the White students, at least I never saw that. Race is not an issue at MDC unless you make it into one yourself or if your perception is that because you are in the minority you are therefore going to be discriminated.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaK View Post
Moderator cut: Flaming Not Allowed

I'm sure if you don't speak English, you will not be hired as a teacher. Plenty of people would like to teach in Miami Dade, locals and nonlocals. There is no reason why the college would hire someone who is not fluent in English when they have a huge pool of applicants

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-29-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM

248 posts, read 616,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaK View Post
---

Crap.
I studied at the MDCC Dowtown.
40 percent black, 30 to 40 percent Latin.
Nobody was descriminated upon, very good teachers.
Descriminated for being the only white girl in the classroom?
A lot of crap.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:46 AM

69 posts, read 178,694 times
I can expect anything from Miami. I believe her very much, sorry.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:26 AM

Some of us went to MDC and did not have the same experience. There are other White students in the classes from what I recall. And I went to NORTH campus, Wolfson and Kendall! There are many staff that are White as well. Do you really think that non-white people have an axe to grind and decide to go work to MDC to stick it to the few White students? That just doesn't make sense. Maybe your friend had a bad attitude towards the teacher and class because everyone was different from her? I never heard this complaint from anyone at MDC and like I said earlier, if this issue was real, there are channels to vent this concern at the school. It sounds more like sour grapes over a different issue to me as opposed to a real problem.

Miami is a lot of things and I have always said how it is, I am not one of the posters who moonlights as a realtor or just visits during the winter. And I can tell you this, despite a lot of Miami's issues, people here do not care about race. And if they do, they will not confront you about it, people are too busy to make an issue of it. They just go about their lives and will ignore you at worse.

Just because you are a minority at Miami Dade, doesn't mean that people are out to get you.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
^^^Great Post, I second the sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami