Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 01:53 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,991 times

Advertisements

I'm still lurkin around looking for places to rent a cheap apartment throughout Miami and Dade county. I am curious about the El Portal area. A recent thread post here on CD said the neighborhood has the largest concentration of Haitians in all of the US. That might bother some people for whatever reason, but it doesn't bother me, so long as I can find a cheap, somewhat liveable apartment, in a cheap, somewhat livable area- a little rough around the edges is fine. I know it's close to areas like the Design District, and Miami Shores, and not too far from NoBe or the city either, so at least stuff is nearby. So what can you all tell me about El Portal? Is crime out of control, or not too bad? Is it livable? Cheap(er)? Amenities nearby/around? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 05:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
I'm still lurkin around looking for places to rent a cheap apartment throughout Miami and Dade county. I am curious about the El Portal area. A recent thread post here on CD said the neighborhood has the largest concentration of Haitians in all of the US. That might bother some people for whatever reason, but it doesn't bother me, so long as I can find a cheap, somewhat liveable apartment, in a cheap, somewhat livable area- a little rough around the edges is fine. I know it's close to areas like the Design District, and Miami Shores, and not too far from NoBe or the city either, so at least stuff is nearby. So what can you all tell me about El Portal? Is crime out of control, or not too bad? Is it livable? Cheap(er)? Amenities nearby/around? Thanks.
El Portal is a working class to middle class area. Some of the homes are very well-maintained and are of a similar architectural style to those built in Coral Gables and Miami Shores. If you're looking for an affordable place to live that is pretty safe (so I've heard, but I don't know NE Miami-Dade very well), El Portal is probably a good option.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 PM

199 posts, read 475,965 times
I know people that have lived there for a year and so far they love it.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanks alot. good to hear. is it fairly affordable though? say like a dumpy studio apartment for more or less $600 a month? Thanks for the info.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Thanks alot. good to hear. is it fairly affordable though? say like a dumpy studio apartment for more or less $600 a month? Thanks for the info.
I just looked at Craigslist (searched apartments for rent with keyword "El Portal") and see two private, studio cottages; each with a kitchen and bath, for $700 and $800, respectively. They look pretty nice, actually. $600 may be a bit low for your own place; if you get a roommate, however, you could easily afford to pay $1200 total for a two-bedroom in the NE Miami area.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I just looked at Craigslist (searched apartments for rent with keyword "El Portal") and see two private, studio cottages; each with a kitchen and bath, for $700 and $800, respectively. They look pretty nice, actually. $600 may be a bit low for your own place; if you get a roommate, however, you could easily afford to pay $1200 total for a two-bedroom in the NE Miami area.
thanks alot. appreciate the info. i would rep but it says i gotta spread the rep around some more. again, appreciate it man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami