Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 AM

71 posts, read 278,788 times

Advertisements

We just got back from a trip around the UP. Newly retired, we're looking for a place to move and we were excited to give Marquette a closer look. About 3 years ago we spent a little time there and felt that this could be a good fit for us.....Well what happened???? We drove in on the road from Ishpeming (41?) and were disappointed to see a sprawling strip that could be ANYWHERE. Walmart, etc. had transformed that whole approach, and eww.

I hate to be an outsider criticizing things that perhaps the locals are happy with.....but the ugly new growth was a big turnoff for us. We've seen what changes follow the Big Box stores as they snuff out smaller business with a local connection.

I'd like to hear about what sort of changes Marquette may be going through. Growth? Or ??? Is there still a stable economy? I heard rumblings about anything from prison cutbacks in staff, to the local college perhaps having a tougher time in the future.

We're wondering if we should give Marquette a third visit or is it time to cross it off the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:23 AM

939 posts, read 2,684,192 times
Well, actually it's called progress. The new WalMart probably brought 300+ jobs to an economically depressed area and also probably stocks items at a good price that may have been previously hard to find for the locals. As far as local businesses being "snuffed out", they can actually compete with Wal Mart if the fine tune their operations. Contrary to popular belief, a new WalMart does not put everyone out of business, just forces them to run their businesses better. The economy in the UP has been depressed for many years but is slowly getting better. Also, not sure why you'd think the college will have a tougher time in the future So, Marquette would be a nice place to retire as long as you enjoy winter. A new WalMart in the middle of the wilderness (aka, the UP), should not have to make you look elsewhere because if you need to retire where there are no WalMarts, perhaps Churchill, Manitoba may be a better fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe2 View Post
We just got back from a trip around the UP. Newly retired, we're looking for a place to move and we were excited to give Marquette a closer look. About 3 years ago we spent a little time there and felt that this could be a good fit for us.....Well what happened???? We drove in on the road from Ishpeming (41?) and were disappointed to see a sprawling strip that could be ANYWHERE. Walmart, etc. had transformed that whole approach, and eww.

I hate to be an outsider criticizing things that perhaps the locals are happy with.....but the ugly new growth was a big turnoff for us. We've seen what changes follow the Big Box stores as they snuff out smaller business with a local connection.

I'd like to hear about what sort of changes Marquette may be going through. Growth? Or ??? Is there still a stable economy? I heard rumblings about anything from prison cutbacks in staff, to the local college perhaps having a tougher time in the future.

We're wondering if we should give Marquette a third visit or is it time to cross it off the list?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,112,274 times
Check out the other, smaller towns that are still regional centers in the Yoop!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,389,814 times
Newberry area is nice.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Well, actually it's called progress. The new WalMart probably brought 300+ jobs to an economically depressed area and also probably stocks items at a good price that may have been previously hard to find for the locals. As far as local businesses being "snuffed out", they can actually compete with Wal Mart if the fine tune their operations. Contrary to popular belief, a new WalMart does not put everyone out of business, just forces them to run their businesses better. The economy in the UP has been depressed for many years but is slowly getting better. Also, not sure why you'd think the college will have a tougher time in the future So, Marquette would be a nice place to retire as long as you enjoy winter. A new WalMart in the middle of the wilderness (aka, the UP), should not have to make you look elsewhere because if you need to retire where there are no WalMarts, perhaps Churchill, Manitoba may be a better fit
I don't call ugly sprawl "progress", but to each his own. Some people happen to prefer a pre-Walmart regional economy....that preference certainly doesn't mean the only choice is Churchill. And Walmart is only one component of the change to an atmosphere that is bland and without character. I'm not saying this is a Marquette deal-breaker for us, but it was disappointing to see, and is reason to question the direction of growth for this region. As I said, if this type of growth is considered to be positive for the region.... so be it. It just might not be right for us.

On a side note: the impact Walmart has on local businesses and on suppliers is certainly debatable. Many would disagree with your assumption that businesses are doing something wrong if they can't compete with Walmart. Unless it's wrong to not be gi-normous and able to manipulate suppliers.

As far as the college....someone told us there were changes in housing requirements, tuition hikes, etc. which could impact enrollment. There may be NOTHING to what these people told us, but we wanted to look into it. It all has to do with the fear of buying into an area right before property values take a dive. These are the same people who told us prison jobs in the region were being cut. (We happened to run into a couple who was also searching the UP for a retirement location, and we compared notes.)

Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,959,762 times
I have been to Churchill, MB....beleave me, IT IS the end of the earth ! They do have rail service , something we here in Marquette do not....... As fas as Wall mart, I don't shop there, they have gained a predatory reputation I find distasteful. Target is a better alternative, just across the street.
All that said, yes the sprawl on US 41 can be a bummer, has been a problem for quite a while, it just continues, but along with it comes a comfort of getting the things we need before retreating back into the deep woods that are still there, only a mile or too from the traffic and the big box stores. Marquette County, is the States largest, you can get lost very easily on a trail or a two track, and have the solitude, the beautiful Lake shore, but a stones throw away. ADD into the mix the superior health care often needed by aging retires, a bit of culture with community theater, a stop at Star bucks for a break in the day, and a high percentage of friendly progressive folks to converse the ills of the outside world.... Marquette was my choice , an award winning city at the edge of the wilderness. Its clean, progressive, has more bike paths and trails than any other its size in the Country,. crime is almost non existence, schools are top notch and the population is varied enough that you can find comfort enough with like kind folks that seek the same as you, without paying an arm and a leg, for specular views,and seclusion when you want it.
Building is going on at a brisk pace., Houses have not lost value like in other places. Its a delicate balance, as always is in the U.P., but one well worth picking the area as a retirement haven that would be hard to duplicate anywhere else in the Country....and as well anywhere in the U.P. as well. Don't let the snow fall scare you, we have the latest removal equipment, even sidewalk clearing machines imported from Germany. If you are near the Lake, its warmer, more so than a lot of places in Lower Mi., so, come enjoy our seasons. No AC needed in summer, few bugs ( near the Lake), always a breeze, sandy beaches, and mountain tops that provide wonderful building sites for your dream retirement cottage.... This week-end its busy in Marquette with the Bicycle events, races, hill climbs, and all environmentally friendly folks from many countries participating. Come Monday, its back to normal...everyone needs a little entertainment from time to time, Marquette is no different, we just do it in a civilized way.....

Old 06-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I have been to Churchill, MB....beleave me, IT IS the end of the earth ! They do have rail service , something we here in Marquette do not....... As fas as Wall mart, I don't shop there, they have gained a predatory reputation I find distasteful. Target is a better alternative, just across the street.
All that said, yes the sprawl on US 41 can be a bummer, has been a problem for quite a while, it just continues, but along with it comes a comfort of getting the things we need before retreating back into the deep woods that are still there, only a mile or too from the traffic and the big box stores. Marquette County, is the States largest, you can get lost very easily on a trail or a two track, and have the solitude, the beautiful Lake shore, but a stones throw away. ADD into the mix the superior health care often needed by aging retires, a bit of culture with community theater, a stop at Star bucks for a break in the day, and a high percentage of friendly progressive folks to converse the ills of the outside world.... Marquette was my choice , an award winning city at the edge of the wilderness. Its clean, progressive, has more bike paths and trails than any other its size in the Country,. crime is almost non existence, schools are top notch and the population is varied enough that you can find comfort enough with like kind folks that seek the same as you, without paying an arm and a leg, for specular views,and seclusion when you want it.
Building is going on at a brisk pace., Houses have not lost value like in other places. Its a delicate balance, as always is in the U.P., but one well worth picking the area as a retirement haven that would be hard to duplicate anywhere else in the Country....and as well anywhere in the U.P. as well. Don't let the snow fall scare you, we have the latest removal equipment, even sidewalk clearing machines imported from Germany. If you are near the Lake, its warmer, more so than a lot of places in Lower Mi., so, come enjoy our seasons. No AC needed in summer, few bugs ( near the Lake), always a breeze, sandy beaches, and mountain tops that provide wonderful building sites for your dream retirement cottage.... This week-end its busy in Marquette with the Bicycle events, races, hill climbs, and all environmentally friendly folks from many countries participating. Come Monday, its back to normal...everyone needs a little entertainment from time to time, Marquette is no different, we just do it in a civilized way.....
Thanks for putting it into perspective. The other thing we found horrifying was that the Sweetgrass Cafe was closed early (Tuesday) when we went there.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:56 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,959,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe2 View Post
Thanks for putting it into perspective. The other thing we found horrifying was that the Sweetgrass Café was closed early (Tuesday) when we went there.
Your welcome. I have mixed feelings about the Sweetgrass café, not a regular stop. Lots of alternatives, Latitudes, Upfront, Elizabeth's, and my favorite lunch spot, The Now York deli., for a pastrami as good as you get in NYC ,without the hassle......just came from there for a late lunch, then a Starbucks, and now its back to work on the cottage... and firing up the big green egg smoker for some pork ribs tonight.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 PM

58 posts, read 162,618 times
We will be retiring to the UP. We still have about 8 years yet to work. We feel the same about the growth in Marquette-don't like it. DH remembers the Marquette of his childhood and it always saddens him when we go through there now. BUT Darstar is correct-the area needs the jobs and the growth to remain viable.

Our retirement place is about an hour's drive from Marquette. Hopefully the sprawl won't get that far in 8 years! But I for one am glad to know I will be able to go to those big-box stores if I choose to occasionally.

I wouldn't rule out the area because of a Wal-Mart on 41. You don't have to go very far from there to find the small town atmoshphere is sounds like you are searching for.

Best of luck to you, I hope you find your dream, just a we have.
Martha

Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,269,548 times
If there would have been work in my field we would have moved to Marquette in a heartbeat. I love it there. It's got every thing anyone could ever want as far as shopping, but at the same time minutes away from the great UP wilderness. I love Getzs downtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan