Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times

Advertisements

It's a little more nuanced than that. The ideal Michigan candidate (excepting inner cities, Ann Arbor, and East Lansing/surrounding areas) would probably be a Republican who doesn't hate trade unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meinkampf View Post
Republicans are bought and sold daily by corporations. They are a rich mans commodity and a poor mans bane.
Democ rats are bought and sold nearly as often by corporations and don't do much more for the poor.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
How? Detroit has somewhere between 800,000-900,000 people, and Michigan has roughly 10,000,000. I'm confused.
Detroit Metro area is Liberal which is 4 million+

Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 AM

902 posts, read 1,926,275 times
I don't think he cares about politics lol People from Europe are generally more liberal in their way of thinking , commercials on tv from Europe , some would never make it past the censors over here etc. I think thats what he means . Isn't the language in the U.P. called Finglish ?
Yooper dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you like hockey we have a Finn (Filppula) on our team the Detroit Red Wings , I'm sure you've heard of them . We may have another Fin on the team as well , our players tease Swede Tomas Holmstrom because his hometown so far North in Sweden , they accuse him of either being Finnish or related to Santa Claus lol
Welcome to Michigan !

Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 AM

16 posts, read 30,531 times
True, I would find it quite hard to describe the US as liberal in any way. The politics for me are quite conservative no matter which side you look at. And the censorship etc. just seems so fake to me.

I'm not a big fan of hockey but maybe I'll go see a game sometime. I actually served in army the same time as Filppula did.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM

45 posts, read 95,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
I don't think he cares about politics lol People from Europe are generally more liberal in their way of thinking , commercials on tv from Europe , some would never make it past the censors over here etc. I think thats what he means . Isn't the language in the U.P. called Finglish ?
Yooper dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you like hockey we have a Finn (Filppula) on our team the Detroit Red Wings , I'm sure you've heard of them . We may have another Fin on the team as well , our players tease Swede Tomas Holmstrom because his hometown so far North in Sweden , they accuse him of either being Finnish or related to Santa Claus lol
Welcome to Michigan !
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
And we just picked up [SIZE=4]Teemu Pulkkinen
[/SIZE](Jokerit’s A junior team) and signed Ilari Filppula, (Valtteri's older brother), to a one-year two-way deal.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
As a transplant to Northwestern Michigan from metro NY, I find folks in this part of the world VERY conservative compared to where I grew up. Very nice people but they definitely do not wear their hearts on their sleeves. Public displays of affection are rare. Back east (and in Europe mind you) , many guy friends give each other hugs when greeting. Do that up here & they think u are gay. Homophobia is pretty rampant as well. That being said, still a very nice, safe, & beautiful place to live.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:54 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
It's a little more nuanced than that. The ideal Michigan candidate (excepting inner cities, Ann Arbor, and East Lansing/surrounding areas) would probably be a Republican who doesn't hate trade unions.
How about an independent that likes unions in theory, but thinks some have room for improvement in practice?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:07 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinke View Post

I'm not a big fan of hockey but maybe I'll go see a game sometime. I actually served in army the same time as Filppula did.
HelItR II/04 1.Ptri?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
As a transplant to Northwestern Michigan from metro NY, I find folks in this part of the world VERY conservative compared to where I grew up. Very nice people but they definitely do not wear their hearts on their sleeves. Public displays of affection are rare. Back east (and in Europe mind you) , many guy friends give each other hugs when greeting. Do that up here & they think u are gay. Homophobia is pretty rampant as well. That being said, still a very nice, safe, & beautiful place to live.

T'aint homophobia.....'tis "Keep that stuff in private where it belongs."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan