Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 12,056 times

Advertisements

I'm a single professional in my mid thirties and considering relocating to one of two US cities: Ann Arbor or Philadelphia. I could have a job position in either one, so that (thankfully) is not an issue.
I grew up and live in Montreal, Canada, a cosmopolitan city I like very much. So on the one hand, I feel I'm more of a "northeast" girl and therefore Philly may be a better fit. On the other hand, I'd have a slightly better-suited job position in Ann Arbor (though Philly is not far off), but it seems to be better suited to students and families, and I am worried that I'll be bored there! A big plus for Ann Arbor for me is that it's safer--very important for me especially as a single girl. Speaking of which, I am wondering which would one be a better place for singles.
I would greatly appreciate any input.

This blog seems pretty great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times
I don't think you'd be bored in Ann Arbor, but it's definitely a college town. I'd say you should visit both and see for yourself. Philadelphia is a much larger city than Ann Arbor and will feel more congested because of its proximity to other large cities. In Ann Arbor, you'll have Detroit down the road to the east and lots and lots of countryside outside of town.
Ann Arbor has a lot of creativity and much going on, but like I said, it's not anywhere near the size of Philly so there will definitely be more to do in Philly.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,275 times
I think the common thing with Montreal and Philly are that they are both very old cities and thats about it lol My grandparents and everyone in the family before them were from Longueuil , Trois Rivieres , Laval , Franklin . Philly of course is a large city , and Ann Arbor is about one hour outside of Detroit if you made some friends in Ann Arbor and wanted to check out downtown Detroit . Philly would be closer to Montreal , but Detroit is closer to Canada (Windsor ON ) if you wanted to at least visit your home Country . We do have Timmy's (Tim Horton's) here and I don't think they have any in Philly . Ann Arbor has alot of professionals , and home to a major University (of Michigan) and not a real huge city like Philly . Both Detroit/Ann Arbor and Philly are far enough away from Montreal that a trip home to Montreal for a visit would probably be best to fly . Detroit Metropolitan Airport is probably closer to Ann Arbor and isn't actually in Detroit . Good luck in whichever city you choose .

Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlGirl514 View Post
I'm a single professional in my mid thirties and considering relocating to one of two US cities: Ann Arbor or Philadelphia. I could have a job position in either one, so that (thankfully) is not an issue.
I grew up and live in Montreal, Canada, a cosmopolitan city I like very much. So on the one hand, I feel I'm more of a "northeast" girl and therefore Philly may be a better fit. On the other hand, I'd have a slightly better-suited job position in Ann Arbor (though Philly is not far off), but it seems to be better suited to students and families, and I am worried that I'll be bored there! A big plus for Ann Arbor for me is that it's safer--very important for me especially as a single girl. Speaking of which, I am wondering which would one be a better place for singles.
I would greatly appreciate any input.

This blog seems pretty great!
Hello I am originally from a small town in MI and now live in Philadelphia. I will give you my opinion:
Philly-
pros- very cosmopolitan
close to DC, New York, and not too far from Boston, about an hour from the ocean, huge variety of restaurants, great chances for many big name concerts, lots of history, many museums, not too far to nature, regional trains

cons- lots of run-down and bad areas, high murder rate (although has improved this year vs. last), the stereotype of rude people and close-minded people seems to be true (yes it is a stereotype that i heard from other northeasterners before I moved here, but occasionally this stands out in a bad way!), traffic and drivers are terrible (hehe just my opinion)....., more expensive

Ann Arbor (I am by no means an expert-there are more locals here) My brother and sister both graduated from UofM and I have visited for other reasons as well.
Pros- close to detroit (concerts, sports, museums, food), not too far to Chicago, VERY close to great nature, friendly people in general (some students maybe not, but most yes), great local music scene, still a variety of restaurants, some great museums right on campus, benefits of a world-class university nearby with an amazing hospital also, cool art scene, smaller feel-get to know people more easily, amazing lakes nearby

cons- smaller city, have to drive to get to a big city, no regional train, ummm....not sure what else...what are you looking for?

(ps- i LOVE being close to the bigger cities, but miss Michigan like crazy-just more friendly and welcoming there, I do plan on leaving Philly in the next few years I lived outside DC for awhile too)

Keep us posted

ps- lots of people with French Canadian ancestry in MI (me being one of them) and things from Canada are much more common in MI, I miss a lot of the northern regional stuff

Old 09-25-2010, 07:16 AM

Thanks so much for our input! I really appreciate it
Will keep you posted....

Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
mid 30s...hmm...from Montreal.

Well, no denying that if you are use to a real city like Montreal...than even a combination of Ann Arbor/Detroit will feel small.

Philadelphia is a very interesting place. I think I would quickly choose PHiladelphia....but if you are prepared for a much smaller place centered around a university...then Ann Arbor would be ideal. Ann Arbor has A LOT to offer for it's size...but it doesn't have anywhere near to offer as Montreal or Philadelphia though. But if you have strong urban/city tendencies, than I'd quickly say Philadelphia.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:06 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
Philly-
pros- very cosmopolitan ....

cons- ... the stereotype of rude people and close-minded people seems to be true (yes it is a stereotype that i heard from other northeasterners before I moved here, but occasionally this stands out in a bad way
I was following MtlGirl's post in the Phily forum, and happened to see this thread.
Very cosmopolitan -- that probably implies transplants
close-minded people -- you are probably referring to some of the natives
So at the least it is a 50-50 situation, and one can choose to ignore the negative aspect of it.

Just asking (not arguing), since I am intending a move to the Philly metro.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:59 PM

I appreciate all your replies I will add that I'd be working for U Penn or U Mich, and can afford to live in the 'downtown'/central areas...

@ electric_lady: good to have confirmed that there is more to do in Philly. I did visit both cities for a weekend; liked both, but definitely felt the college vibe in AA...felt a better 'fit' in Philly...

@Wingnatic: thx for your good wishes. And for the Tim Horton's info! lol

@mofromcheboygankalamazoo: helful; when I read your pros, I thought, yes! yes! I should add that I would be working at U Penn and would very very likely choose to live in City Center, so that's a plus. About the crime: Can I be 'free' to do stuff by myself during day around City Center? During night I understand it makes sense to be accompanied.

@Tiger Beer: thanks. Good to hear this!
@ FromGA: True, I get this sense too from people's comments, the 50-50 thing. I'm hoping that working at U Penn and living in Center City means I'll be experiencing the positive aspects of Philly.

Keep the comments coming, it's been very helpful!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I was following MtlGirl's post in the Phily forum, and happened to see this thread.
Very cosmopolitan -- that probably implies transplants
close-minded people -- you are probably referring to some of the natives
So at the least it is a 50-50 situation, and one can choose to ignore the negative aspect of it.

Just asking (not arguing), since I am intending a move to the Philly metro.
I think of the cosmo part being yes some of the transplants, but also the opportunities, like museums, art, music, nightlife, events, etc.

and yes, i have come across the most close-minded people in the people I work with (mostly locals) and some people who are friends of friends that I encounter at gatherings....so yeah they can be avoided for the most part, just depends where you work as well.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlGirl514 View Post
I appreciate all your replies I will add that I'd be working for U Penn or U Mich, and can afford to live in the 'downtown'/central areas...

@ electric_lady: good to have confirmed that there is more to do in Philly. I did visit both cities for a weekend; liked both, but definitely felt the college vibe in AA...felt a better 'fit' in Philly...

@Wingnatic: thx for your good wishes. And for the Tim Horton's info! lol

@mofromcheboygankalamazoo: helful; when I read your pros, I thought, yes! yes! I should add that I would be working at U Penn and would very very likely choose to live in City Center, so that's a plus. About the crime: Can I be 'free' to do stuff by myself during day around City Center? During night I understand it makes sense to be accompanied.

@Tiger Beer: thanks. Good to hear this!
@ FromGA: True, I get this sense too from people's comments, the 50-50 thing. I'm hoping that working at U Penn and living in Center City means I'll be experiencing the positive aspects of Philly.

Keep the comments coming, it's been very helpful!
center city would be your best bet for living (as well as the most expensive). the area surrounding UPENN is not that wonderful... think west Philly...
during the day you would be absolutely fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan