Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Where's the storm they kept yammering on about? Sure it's a bit windy. Sure we got some snowfall but nothing more then normal U.P. standards.
A bunch of overhyped media sensationalism up here again.....
Actually blizzard conditions were not predicted for Marquette area. Close , but not quite. I just came in from a dog walk on our mountiam south of town , and its nasty ! I plowed today , about 2 -3 foot od snow out of my 1200 foot driveway. Its almost drifted back....and the lake effect is starting now. Not a good night to be out in it , with the high winds. Marquette Mountian was closed today...too windy.
The next 2 days will tell us just how big the storm really is. I will plow again tomorrow...its coming down now quite hard and the drifts are 6 feet high already............Just a report fron south of the City off M553 at 1300 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Actually blizzard conditions were not predicted for Marquette area. Close , but not quite
Who said anything about a blizzard? I'm waiting for the storm first.
Clear here, some blowing and drifting but that is all. Just went to Econo and back (some good deals this week!)

Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 PM

271 posts, read 664,881 times
Well today was one of the worst drives I've had downstate and back. Manton/Cadillac area, the freeway was 30 mph, 1 lane, terrible plow job. It was like a severely potholed dirt road, like they didn't even drop the blade all the way. I thought maybe they'd do something but it was still the same on the way back 7 hours later. Downstate near GR everything was a sheet of ice. Saw 2 multicar accidents on the freeway, thankfully both were on the other side from where I was. And up north it was whiteout in many places. Yesterday all was clear, so this must have come on pretty quickly.

Got home south of Petoskey and there is easily 8" in the driveway, not fluff but packed pretty good. Zero degrees, it still is. Went out and filled the gas can for the snowplow and no start. After some investigation I found it's most likely the crank sensor gone bad but that doesn't do me any good tonight so I shoveled enough of the driveway to get out in the morning. Haven't had to shovel that much since early 2005, have gotten spoiled by the plow.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Who said anything about a blizzard? I'm waiting for the storm first.
Clear here, some blowing and drifting but that is all. Just went to Econo and back (some good deals this week!)
As you know . a true blizzard is where there are white-outs and road travel is ether impossiable or very unsafe. There have been a few moments on 28 going east this last few days I am sure.
As you know well , living near downtown as you do , the winter world in Marquette can be quite different than south of Division as I do. You lived at the Crossroads, its only been one year ago ! Come on Guy ! lol

Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Here are a few pics from near my house...and one from Frankenmuth.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 AM

364 posts, read 877,745 times
Few pics of the Dec 12th snowstorm that hit the Detroit area with 6 inches of snow

Last edited by michsnowlvr; 12-15-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Western U.P named top snowmobile destination in the U.S
YOUR TOP 10 SNOWMOBILING DESTINATIONS - American Snowmobiler Magazine

Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Western U.P named top snowmobile destination in the U.S
YOUR TOP 10 SNOWMOBILING DESTINATIONS - American Snowmobiler Magazine
We have a snow machine trail that goes all the way across the U.P. Marquette is about half way, and the trail goes behind the Holiday INN. Any week-end the lot will be full of snow machines, fact is , the Inn is booked up more in the winter than in summer. Snowy winter times are when our local merchants do best, including bars and nightclubs. This year the traffic is expected to be much better than the last 2 years......then there are dog sled races, cross country ski trails, down hill , lots to do up here in the winter...more than in summer actually.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
We have a snow machine trail that goes all the way across the U.P. Marquette is about half way, and the trail goes behind the Holiday INN. Any week-end the lot will be full of snow machines, fact is , the Inn is booked up more in the winter than in summer. Snowy winter times are when our local merchants do best, including bars and nightclubs. This year the traffic is expected to be much better than the last 2 years......then there are dog sled races, cross country ski trails, down hill , lots to do up here in the winter...more than in summer actually.
Man...I would absolutely love winters up there!! My brother an I are addicted to snow....My last name isnt "Snow" for nothing!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Man...I would absolutely love winters up there!! My brother an I are addicted to snow....My last name isn't "Snow" for nothing!
I spent several hours moving snow around with my JD yesterday. Will do some more grooming today , its great therapy for me. I am opening up a 5 mile road in the woods also, for cross country skiing, and dog sledding. I am not a fan of snow machines , but I know they will come also. They have their own groomed trails so that helps keep them away from my area.
Yes , I like snow also, most of us up here do. There is nothing worse than cold winter winds, bare ground, and gray skys. Ice storms are a close second. If and when you do come on up here to sample our winter, you will be surprized at all the white powder, lack of ice , and of coarse the amount of the stuff.... I still want to get some snowshoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan