Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 15,359 times

Advertisements

Thanks very much for the info. !! I really do appreciate it. I cant wait til the snow melts to make the drive up !! Think Spring !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
before you decide to move to mancelona....check out their problem with their water supply. i have read many articles and the town is in serious trouble with polluted groundwater and vapors penetrating into homes from below the ground level. all due to 20 years of cleaning chemicals being dumped into the ground from the iron works factory that is now long gone. ...............major problems

Old 02-14-2015, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 6,615 times
Default Mancelona

My husband wants back in MI but further north than Mason/Lansing area.Mancelona We have been looking around. I found some beautiful property but a real bad side effect and not one real estate company disclosed it.The largest factory, a Dura Automotive Systems plant, closed in February 2009 and the community has had a change for the worse. From 1947 to 1967, Mount Clemens Industries, Incorporated, formerly Mt. Clemens Metal Products Company, used trichloroethylene (TCE) in vapor degreasers. Afterwards, the TCE was disposed of by dumping it on the ground near the building. Some TCE may also have been dumped into seepage pits and burned. Through these improper disposal methods, TCE has now contaminated the groundwater in and around Mancelona, MI. The contaminated plume begins at the manufacturing plant, currently known as Dura Automotive Manufacturing Plant, and extends approximately six miles to the northwest to the Schuss Mountain/Shanty Creek Resort area. The leading edge of the Wickes Manufacturing TCE Plume (also known as Mancelona-Cedar River TCE Plume), at the resort area, is approximately 1.25 miles wide. The plume has also reached the Cedar River, and is now contaminating a cold-water, high quality trout stream. TCE is a colorless liquid with a sweet odor similar to chloroform. TCE is most commonly used as a degreasing solvent in manufacturing plants. Breathing small amounts may cause headaches, dizziness, lung irritation, and difficulty concentrating. Drinking water that contains TCE over an extended period of time can lead to liver and kidney problems and may also be carcinogenic. The TOSC Program at Michigan State University has been asked to provide assistance to Mancelona-area citizens regarding the Mancelona-Cedar River TCE Plume. TOSC met with Antrim County United through Ecology (ACUTE) and Mancelona-area citizens to assess community concerns and discuss TOSC's involvement. TOSC has developed a Memorandum of Understanding, which has been signed jointly by ACUTE and TOSC. [6] While the Mancelona area is as of 2012 the focus of extensive natural gas production activities associated with the Antrim Shale formation, this production does not support employment sufficient to recompense the community for the factories it once had. I know the Detroit News had an article on all this and the city would have to disclose ( I hope) Environmental Health News also ran a big article 2013. There are some beautiful homes there. We were concerned because that would contaminate any well we had.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:37 PM

211 posts, read 587,789 times
I've lived in Northern Michigan all my life and you could not pay me enough to move to Mancelona. If you can't afford TC or Leelanau Co., then I'd be looking at Benzie as a cheaper alternative that is still very nice. Sorry to sound harsh but that is the reality of it.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Post Michigan

Thanks for the opinion. I hate to sound dumb but where is Benzie?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:10 PM

Lightbulb Benzie

DUH, found it. I thought it was a nickname for town.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,898,554 times
I live in Benzie county, and it is waaaay nicer than Mancelona.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks all.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 7,336 times
There is a fairly good sized veterinary, just north of "Mancetucky" as we call it:Mancelona Veterinary Hospital

There is also a high quality veterinary practice just south of Elk Rapids:Elk Rapids Animal Hospital
...This could be a challenge to commute to, in the winter.

Also,in addition to what has already been posted about the TCE plume,running Northwest of town, there is a strict prohibition against any well drilling in the targeted area.

There is however, an extensive municipal water system that provides safe water to those affected by the plume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan