Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times

Advertisements

This maybe shoud be on the Ill. threads, but still applys to Michigan. This past week the climate forcasters came to this dramatic forcast.
WELL I know it relates to climate change, which most agree is real. Its the degree and how soon its happening, that many folks do not agree about.
Chicago is planing for this change in many ways. They are planting southern trees, not white oaks. Paving areas that were not paved, and collecting the rain water more. Many things. I beleive Michigan because of lattude will suffer the same way. Or , are the great lakes going to protect us from climate change.? I doubt it, most weather comes from the west to east , and from the south to the north. Lattude is your only hope. Move North, as far as you can stand, just one more reason to live in da UP. We have fewer severe weathers, no tornado's, and less snow and cold winters( at lest last year). I may even have to install an AC unit if we have another summer like last year !
One things for sure, we get our weather from Canada, and lately its been warmer in Canada than in the UP. The Arctic is melting , and fast. The heat and severe weather is now coming from the south and the far west. All this may mean nothing right now , we will see, but I still am glad I moved north, actually maybe not far enough !.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I don't think that will happen, at least not in my lifetime. Climate change takes centuries, and patterns can reverse themselves quickly. We could start cooling again, or we could stabilize or even head for another ice age. We just don't know enough about the forces that drive climate.

If it does happen, it will probably increase tourism on the Great Lakes, with Michigan becoming more like Florida. Maybe South Haven could be the next Panama City or South Padre Island?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Here's the article that talks about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/23/sc...daptation.html

Old 05-30-2011, 11:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Here's the article that talks about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/23/sc...daptation.html
One Degree can make a difference. If they have another hot gulf, look out for the storms..... The artical, and there are many about this, all state a dramatic change that may take 50-to 75 years. I don't thin Chicago is ready from palm trees, same for Detroit.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Not in my lifetime...but if it does, I'm heading for Vancouver.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Oh brother.
"Global Warming" skeptics are not at all hostile to honest confirmed science. It's just that the GW/algore crowd have committed fraud upon fraud to perpetrate a get-rich scheme. "Science" has been bent and twisted to support the conclusion. It's like having Big Pharm alone test their own meds for efficacy, with no supporting independent research.
CO2 is no more dangerous than oxygen. Even if it were, in the quantities it exists in it's insignificant. More CO2 in the atmosphere will result in more lush vegetation.
Vegetation, which many of us learned in elementary school, takes in CO2 and emits O2 aka oxygen.
We've been in a cooling cycle for about 10 years.
Kyoto is a fraud that will bankrupt almost everyone. All the phony do-gooders signed on to it but you'll notice they're not too quick to implement its bankrupting features.
That this article is sourced at the NYT is essentially all the evidence one needs that it's agitprop promoting phony science.
The NYT has not been a reliable source of unbiased news since before Watergate.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
When talking about climate change predictions, it's always important to remember that, historically, we have been very wrong when making grand predictions about what will happen with our climate. And we will most likely continue to be wrong. Not saying that there aren't changes taking place (has there ever been a time when the climate wasn't changing?), or that we shouldn't change our behaviors if we can. But history says that we have no clue what is actually happening.

If you are ever in need of a good laugh, just check out the Earth Day predictions from 1970:

Earth Day, Then and Now - Reason Magazine

Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Chicago will be like Baton Rogue?

geaux wildcats!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
I agree.

Growing up, I was a lover of the outdoors and nature. I was a budding environmentalist in high school, and the fascination of everything ecology peaked during my college years through my grad school years (basically 18-25). However while still being interested in the issues in a very general sense, I have moved away from alamism, and realized that yeah, we can mess things up for ourselves, but we can't "destroy the environment."

People who knew me better 10 years, or even 5 years ago, think I'm a major environmentalist. Honestly my favoirite documentary series is "Life after people", basically about how all our cities would revert back to a wilderness given enough time.

Is my experience hiking in the woods diminished because there are no passenger pigeons. No, not really. Climate change is real, but it has been so politicized, that most people really don't know where to find the facts.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,907 times
We humans are so short sighted. The planet will take pretty good care of itself--with or without us pesky inhabitants. :-)

Just wait for the twenty-year cycle. It'll be colder than usual and everyone will claim global cooling again.

And, as usual, some people will make a pretty good income off grants, books and other fear mongering when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan