Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:14 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That's anecdotal evidence. Do you have anything that compares the overall condition of roads in those states compared to Michigan? Considering that Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio are having huge budget issues, way bigger than Michigan's, I find it hard to believe that their roads are being maintained well.

Good road maintenance in those other states did not start in just the past few years. Michigan had poor roads in the 1990s when the economy was booming. Where was the gas tax money going back then during those boom times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 06:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Good road maintenance in those other states did not start in just the past few years. Michigan had poor roads in the 1990s when the economy was booming. Where was the gas tax money going back then during those boom times?
Fact of the matter too is Michigan has always been too cheap to build infrastructure that lasts.

Just look at the freeway infrastructure that was built around Detroit back in the 1940s - 1970s for example (when BTW Michigan AND Detroit was also doing well). It's been falling apart from the seams the day it was constructued. That's why they have to be completely redone every other year.

It's a trade off, either you pay for something that lasts or you build it cheap now and pay more for more frequent repairs or the fact that the infrastructure is lacking. The state of Michigan chose the latter, and now we have our debacle now.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:51 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Why makes you think higher taxes will yield better roads? The gas taxes are higher now than they were 40+ years ago and the roads still don't get fixed. And remember the average vehicle is lighter today compared to 1970, so there is less wear in that regard.
The claimed justification by the Governor is that the state is in danger of losing matching federal funds. If the tax is collect but doesn't go towards transportation then the federal funds are lost. I suppose to believe that the funds would go elsewhere would imply that Rick Snyder is willing to waste $40 million dollars in order to pork out his pet projects; but the man doesn't strike me as the type to do such a thing.

As for gas taxes being higher now than 40 years ago, well, yes they are. The gasoline tax is and always has been a fixed amount per gallon. Inflation eats away at the purchasing power of the tax collected. So while the tax collected remains the same, the road repair costs rise.

But I said all this in my first post. Maybe you should go back and try reading it again.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail twister View Post
As a former trucker I can tell you the run of the mill 18 wheelers you see on Michigan roads are not permited to have a Total weight over 80,000 pounds.
The surrounding states all limit their loads to about 80,000 pounds total per truck. Illinois does allow overweight loads, but requires permits and fees to pay for them.

According to http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Loads_dim_87014_7.pdf, Michigan allows up to 160,000 pounds per truck as long as the vehicle has 13 properly spaced axles and the weight doesn't exceed 700 pounds per inch of tire rim width. Now I'll grant that's not your typical 18 wheeler and that only about 15% of trucks on Michigan roads exceed 80,000 pounds, but its still more than neighboring states.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
The increase in car registration costs really irks me. The rates where they'd like the registration tax to be are not far off from places such as Texas and Nevada, who also do not collect an income tax.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
The increase in car registration costs really irks me. The rates where they'd like the registration tax to be are not far off from places such as Texas and Nevada, who also do not collect an income tax.
Well you certainly don't want to build a financial model after Nevada's. That State is going down in flames. I even heard that UNLV is at risk of closing altogether. Imagine if that were the case in Michigan, its largest University on the verge of collapse. Texas is being supported by rapid growth and growth alone. Again, not a sustainable model for Michigan.

Comparing Michigan's budget to other state's is foolhearty. They're all set up differently, have different levels of infrastructure, different weather conditions, different political powers and business structures at work.

Personally I put about 10 gallons of gas a week in my car. If the gas tax went up $.09 or $.10/gallon, that'd be a whopping 90 cents or a dollar a week out of my hide. I can't for a million years understand why people wouldn't support that, to bring Michigan roads up to speed in 5 - 10 years (it will take at least that long). Conversely though, I hate when we get our registration fees every year. And to think that it might double irks me even more.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times
Quote:
Yes. Have someone blindfold you and drive you acoss the Ohio or Indiana border. You can feel the difference in road quality immediately.
It seems to me, Ohio uses concrete more often then asphalt. I don't have any links, but I used to live in Ohio and now live in SE Michigan.

It just seems like there are more asphalt roads in Michigan. It also seems like asphalt is more vulnerable to the freeze-thaw problem. Doesn't concrete have those planned breaks in the surface to accommodate freeze-thaw?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:09 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times
Quote:
Well you certainly don't want to build a financial model after Nevada's. That State is going down in flames. I even heard that UNLV is at risk of closing altogether. Imagine if that were the case in Michigan, its largest University on the verge of collapse. Texas is being supported by rapid growth and growth alone. Again, not a sustainable model for Michigan.

Comparing Michigan's budget to other state's is foolhearty. They're all set up differently, have different levels of infrastructure, different weather conditions, different political powers and business structures at work.

Personally I put about 10 gallons of gas a week in my car. If the gas tax went up $.09 or $.10/gallon, that'd be a whopping 90 cents or a dollar a week out of my hide. I can't for a million years understand why people wouldn't support that, to bring Michigan roads up to speed in 5 - 10 years (it will take at least that long). Conversely though, I hate when we get our registration fees every year. And to think that it might double irks me even more.

^yeah, what he said.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The claimed justification by the Governor is that the state is in danger of losing matching federal funds. If the tax is collect but doesn't go towards transportation then the federal funds are lost. I suppose to believe that the funds would go elsewhere would imply that Rick Snyder is willing to waste $40 million dollars in order to pork out his pet projects; but the man doesn't strike me as the type to do such a thing.

As for gas taxes being higher now than 40 years ago, well, yes they are. The gasoline tax is and always has been a fixed amount per gallon. Inflation eats away at the purchasing power of the tax collected. So while the tax collected remains the same, the road repair costs rise.

But I said all this in my first post. Maybe you should go back and try reading it again.

What do you mean the gas tax is collected but doesn't go toward transportation? That is exactly what the gas tax is for.

Maybe you should re-read my earlier posts. Gas taxes have been raised numerous times since the 1950s, more than enough to keep up with inflation.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Why won't people take that? Because every time the gas tax is raised we are told the roads will be fixed. Then 5-10 years after the gas taxes go up, the roads are still crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan