Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
And Nevada is just a horribly ugly moonscape of a place
It is? Here's some pictures of northwest Nevada, which also includes Lake Tahoe. I never really thought it was a "horribly ugly moonscape of a place." It doesn't remind me of anything like that, although I do acknowledge that there's many other places in the state that are wastelands . . . sort of like Detroit.

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/webcow.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/webpond.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/webpark.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/webhorse1.jpg (broken link)

. . . and those pics aren't even of the Tahoe area . . . just thought I'd toss them in as a balanced response.

I'd also like to add that the northern and rural areas of your state are one of the most absolutely beautiful places in this Country. It's sad to read of so many people having challanges back there. I wish y'all good luck in dealing with the economc and governmental issues ahead.

Last edited by garth; 10-05-2007 at 09:04 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 PM

65 posts, read 233,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The states with the best economy and job market right now are:
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Alaska
Arizona
Nevada
All of these states have had strong economic growth in the last several years. Some states are quite rural, however. You might want to take that into consideration if you are coming from the more heavily populated eastern US.
Uuhhh... Montana does not have a great economy right now. They are struggling like we are.

I have relatives in Montana. There have never been a good flow of jobs in Montana. Hence why their entire state's population is always right around the amount of Grand Rapids' population.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
It is? Here's some pictures of northwest Nevada, which also includes Lake Tahoe. I never really thought it was a "horribly ugly moonscape of a place." It doesn't remind me of anything like that, although I do acknowledge that there's many other places in the state that are wastelands . . . sort of like Detroit.

I'd also like to add that the northern and rural areas of your state are one of the most absolutely beautiful places in this Country. It's sad to read of so many people having challanges back there. I wish y'all good luck in dealing with the economc and governmental issues ahead.
I don't live anywhere near Detroit, so I'm not victim to its "barren-ness"

Sorry, should have clarified. I've only been to and over the Southern/LV part of Nevada a few times, where even the mountains are un-attractive.

Compare that to the Rocky Mountains surrounding Denver, and Vegas gets spanked:

http://www.denver.org/pictures/ImageType1_39_DenverSkylineSummer.jpg (broken link)

http://www.bobvandiest.com/files/246318/DenverSkyLineLg.jpg (broken link)

Beautiful!!
But even Colorado is not green enough for me. Just my opinion though.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:34 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
I agree, LV also isn't my kind of place. Thank goodness there's more to Michigan than Detroit, just as there's more to Nevada than LV.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedekock View Post
Uuhhh... Montana does not have a great economy right now. They are struggling like we are.

I have relatives in Montana. There have never been a good flow of jobs in Montana. Hence why their entire state's population is always right around the amount of Grand Rapids' population.

Montana QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Non-farm employment in Montana increased over 10% between 2000-2005 compared with the national average of around 2%. The economic growth rate in Montana has been far better than some Midwest states.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 AM

138 posts, read 627,578 times
Pishaw. There's nothing like the great lakes and the beautiful areas that lie within their boundaries. You know that. Aside from the monetary aspects, Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in our country.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:42 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Default Living in AZ

Ok I will say this, I moved out to AZ to be a teacher from MI, they burned me out in 2 years, weak union, no help and no representation in the sstate government, but hey taxes are low.

Oh wait the housing cost coupled with the low salary makes it worse than MI. At least in MI if I worked 50-60 hours a week I could afford a place to live thats decent quality. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about heat stroke or melinoma (sorry the spelling sucks)

For you people complaining about taxes and jobs and unions, well boo hoo, Engler and Blanchard combined with NAFTA let all the jobs leave the state, the unions did what their members paid their dues to do, and that is make sure they were paid enough to live and support a family. The big three messed up Michigan by being shortsighted and greedy. Its too bad the rest of the country can't figure out how to give the American worker what they deserve. I'd love to be able to make enough to raise a family or afford to get married. (oh yeah I'm was a math teacher but I'm not gonna put up with the abuse they put you through out here)

In regards to taxes, yeah they could be spent more efficiently, but also infrastructure and upkeep requires money unless you want more bridges and overpasses collapsing. Here's an idea THOROUGHLY read up on candidates before you vote for them, spend several hours, break time, whatever, be smart about it, don't just follow an ad on TV or whatever party lines are, both Republicans and Democrats are all overlobbied and have no accountability, look for someone who is not signing away his soul to some companies and lobbiests in order to get elected, and then VOTE. I hear so many people complain they aren't represented and they don't vote. Personally I'm liking Dennis Kucinich because from what I've seen he can think about things in the long term and he offers the best solutions for health care in my view (I personally distrust private industry, any big company out to make a buck will certainly find a way to screw the average American through any technicality possible). He's not everyone's favorite and thats fine, but read up on the issues and see where the candidate votes and stands, not what their slogan is.

www.ontheissues.org

sorry for my rant

Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 AM

175 posts, read 731,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/webcow.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/webpond.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/webpark.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/webhorse1.jpg (broken link)

. . . and those pics aren't even of the Tahoe area . . . just thought I'd toss them in as a balanced response.

Wow... that looks beautiful. I had no idea that Nevada had places that green.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:04 AM

430 posts, read 1,264,108 times
It is truly time to leave-my-house-cats-012.jpg

It is truly time to leave-my-house-cats-010.jpg

People say Tucson is a wasteland as well.....this is just one thing we have to "deal" with almost every day.....beautiful sunsets...

I wouldn't say Tucson's economy is booming by any means. Our problem is that there are no high-tech jobs, or large manufacturing jobs here. As an employer I WILL tell you that someone with any kind of true skills and a real desire to work are few and far between here. I've been trying to fill a warehouse position for 3 weeks and haven't found someone with the requisit skills to bring in for an interview! Just for an example, starting pay is over $10 an hour (good wages in Tucson), full health benefits (employee pays about $40 a month and benefits start immediately no waiting period), 9 paid holidays, 10 paid vacation days, 1 full-pay "flex" day to use whenever they want, dental, eye care and prescritpion coverage, a 401K plan (company matches up to 5% per year).....and a good working environment. And no one is qualified to do this job! It's not rocket science, just a basic warehouse position that requires some forklift work and a good back! Another department just hired a new Warehouse man and he was from Alaska! To many here in Tucson live by the "siesta" mentality...they start out like balls of fire and then nap until you can document enough problems to fire them.

I actually have on my desk a gentleman from the Detroit area that is interested in coming in for an interview....seems he's been out of work for months and is considering a move to Arizona....my suggestion would be for those that are thinking along these lines to seek/obtain employment before making that kind of move. As an employer, I am willing to wait for someone to come out for a while as long as I know that they are going to work out for me....

Old 10-06-2007, 10:32 AM

133 posts, read 357,529 times
I actually have on my desk a gentleman from the Detroit area that is interested in coming in for an interview....seems he's been out of work for months and is considering a move to Arizona....my suggestion would be for those that are thinking along these lines to seek/obtain employment before making that kind of move. As an employer, I am willing to wait for someone to come out for a while as long as I know that they are going to work out for me....[/quote]

I have a lot of folk's from back home on my job here in vegas,ya know the barren place,that has these thing's called JOBS.Might be ugly as sin out here,but you can't afford to raise a family or pay your bills with scenery.Anyway,of all the people i get out here thay are all here for the same thing...work.Not anything else,just work.Sad how fast Michigan went from the top of the game to the bottom,talked to my Father in law,he's ready for the move here,he's a lifer in Michigan and a retired teacher,When he was out here i took him on a little tour of the town,didn't take him long to figure out starving isn't an option by any means,any type of work you want to do is here.Hell,he's retired and going to go to work flagging construction personell and vechicles at a mudcutter's pay,not bad for the old man.Miss the scenery yes...miss the starving,no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan