Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
Hi michmoldman,
You might consider a couple of days on Beaver Island when you plan your weeklong photography and camping trips. Lots of beautiful trails through the woods with very few people.
On my bucket list for sure! I have a ton of Michigan left to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Better yet, move up north and on holidays go visit friends and relatives in the SE corner. That way the traffic is always going the opposite direction and going home after a long week-end is something to look forward to.
My plans exactly! Actually, I was just telling my wife that on the way home from Newaygo tonight.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM

272 posts, read 724,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherOne View Post
I left in May and moved to Greenville, SC. After being here 2 months, I am ready to go back. Problem is I wanted this move and my wife won't even talk about it, although she left good friends behind and I think she would. It is just so much effort to move again! I miss my scenery, my Great Lakes, my fishing, my rivers! Not the snow though!

It was a lot of effort to move to NC and then back to Michigan....but was well worth it!!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,687 times
Move out of Michigan? Right now?? Heck no, not when we are on the edge of Archery Deer Season.

(Perferator...misspell is intentional....is my nic because I shoot holes in stuff)

Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 PM

198 posts, read 508,383 times
My job now allows me to completely telecommute so after 5 years in Texas I'm heading back! We miss old friends and family too much! One kid is staying though and finishing school so it wasn't a complete family withdraw. Even taking into account i'll have to pay income tax again with what I'll save on electric bills HOA fees and property taxes I can fly him home monthly if I want to!
I'm packing the moving truck tuesday the 12th and will see Michigan again next week!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 PM

116 posts, read 272,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
It was a lot of effort to move to NC and then back to Michigan....but was well worth it!!
What time frame did you do this in and why did you change your mind?

Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 PM

76 posts, read 122,103 times
I gotta tell ya, those of us who were able to stick it out here are not rejoicing in some peoples decision to bail, but welcome all of those who are homesick, and have been since crossing the Mi/Ohio border for "greener pastures".
In the voice of Extreme Makeovers Ty Pennington, Welcome home defectors, Welcome home...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 AM

272 posts, read 724,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherOne View Post
What time frame did you do this in and why did you change your mind?

Moved there in August of 2010 and was back here in June of 2012. The family didn't care for it there. In Michigan, we're inside from around November to around March or April. There you're inside from about the end of May until the end of September because of the heat. Not to mention the bites from the bugs you really never see. And having been born and raised in Michigan, I missed it too much. Family is here as well as a lot of the things I missed. And in the 2 years I was there, I saw my wife and kids for a total of about 3 months. That REALLY sucked. The job I took doesn't pay even close to what I've made in the past.....but I'm happy.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
Moved there in August of 2010 and was back here in June of 2012. The family didn't care for it there. In Michigan, we're inside from around November to around March or April. There you're inside from about the end of May until the end of September because of the heat. Not to mention the bites from the bugs you really never see. And having been born and raised in Michigan, I missed it too much. Family is here as well as a lot of the things I missed. And in the 2 years I was there, I saw my wife and kids for a total of about 3 months. That REALLY sucked. The job I took doesn't pay even close to what I've made in the past.....but I'm happy.
Welcome home! We did the same, only we went to Arizona. I was so happy to be back in Michigan that when I got off the plane at Detroit Metro I probably would have kissed the ground if it hadn't all been paved, lol. As I drove along I-94 in late August, I literally marveled at the lush greenness of Michigan, and we're not talking about some deep forest in the UP, we're talking about the sides of the interstate in suburban Detroit!

I think the mistake that so many people make is that they visit a place and really enjoy themselves, and don't really think it through what is actually involved in moving away from everyone and everything that they know, just that it's something different and they feel like they're ready for a change. I know we were guilty of that. Even if you spend the time looking at housing, visiting grocery stores, and trying to get a feel for what it is like to live there, it's never really the real thing until all of your stuff is in the new place for once and for all and it hits you that you really did go through with it and for some of us, it just isn't the same and never can be.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM

116 posts, read 272,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Welcome home! We did the same, only we went to Arizona. I was so happy to be back in Michigan that when I got off the plane at Detroit Metro I probably would have kissed the ground if it hadn't all been paved, lol. As I drove along I-94 in late August, I literally marveled at the lush greenness of Michigan, and we're not talking about some deep forest in the UP, we're talking about the sides of the interstate in suburban Detroit!

I think the mistake that so many people make is that they visit a place and really enjoy themselves, and don't really think it through what is actually involved in moving away from everyone and everything that they know, just that it's something different and they feel like they're ready for a change. I know we were guilty of that. Even if you spend the time looking at housing, visiting grocery stores, and trying to get a feel for what it is like to live there, it's never really the real thing until all of your stuff is in the new place for once and for all and it hits you that you really did go through with it and for some of us, it just isn't the same and never can be.
I think you have nailed it with your last paragraph. I wasn't even unpacked yet in SC when I was already picking apart the house I had just bought. I was ready to put the house back on the market and take my losses. However, my saner side is prevailing at least for the present. I will go through the winter here and take another feel for it in the spring. I lived in NE part near the Lake Huron shore and it was so beautiful when I left! However, NE MI is not exactly thriving, so who knows what the future holds. There a lot of retirees in the area, shopping sucks and winters are long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan