Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM

214 posts, read 673,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
me personally? Im glad I made the move from georgia to michigan. Although I miss my family its something about this state that is so peaceful. I had the chance to visit lake michigan and I dont know why people would go any place else. It is absolutely beautiful. Ive had a few ups and downs since I been here. But sometimes it take some adjusting no matter where you move. I thought at first I was going to be homesick forever. Now I am so happy, with a great job. My son is in a wonderful school. Im glad I made the transition.
It's nice to hear that. I think I remember there being some trepidation after your first year. Glad you've settled in and got a great job!

You're around Grand Blanc, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I'm not getting on you, because to each his own...but when you say "little to offer" your talking job wise I hope.
Yes job wise, and also in comparing to coastal states like California and New York the state does not offer much.

I read comments about the thumb area of Michigan, it is much different than the resy of Michigan in that it looks more like the plains states.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Yes, to Illinois.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,552,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspper69 View Post
It's nice to hear that. I think I remember there being some trepidation after your first year. Glad you've settled in and got a great job!

You're around Grand Blanc, right?
trepidation? thats a new word for me but it describe exactly what i was going through. Fear and uncertainty of knowing if I made the right choice or not. Yes I am in Grand Blanc and working at Genesys. Wonderful hospital. Rated top 100 hospitals in the US!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,552,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I've got one foot out the door. I'm very, very tempted to move without a job, too. Last winter was mild enough, but I feel like we got lucky. This winter is going to be a nightmare and I really need to get out before it hits.

Aside from that, since I can't use my degree here, the longer I stay the more useless my super expensive education is. I'm a little worried about the whole "Grass is greener" mentality, and since I have lots of bills I can't exactly just go off on a half-cocked adventure, but yeah, I'm definitely planning on leaving the state the first realistic opportunity that falls into my lap.
Why move when you have a degree? Your opportunities should be endless.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:20 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Good choice. Its really amazing to me how people can say Michigan has nothing to offer, and how little of the state most people who live here, have really seen. I was kinda in the same boat many years ago..having lived here my whole 45 years, but never really seeing much until we started camping. Now I cant even begin to express how much I love this state, and all she has to offer. We really do have an amazing place here, that most do not appreciate. I would never move, but if I had to...I would really miss that feeling you get when you head "Up north" I am not sure I could get that feeling anywhere else. To each his own...and like others have said...Michigan is sure not for everyone, but if you do live here, and have not traveled it much...you really do not know what you are missing.

Michigan may have some problems, but it has more to offer than most other places. I lived in southwest Ohio for 8 years. Talk about boring with little to offer. And the property taxes there are now more than I pay in Michigan. Michigan, or at least the Detroit area, has many job opportunities for engineering/technical/manufacturing types. Try to find many of those jobs in the other locations.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
No.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM

43 posts, read 290,471 times
YES I cant wait to get out of this state! ITS horrible!! UGH, Im originally from Nashville, TN and I HATE HATE HATE It here! ugh, next summer cant come soon enough when we get the hell out of here!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:06 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauceToss View Post
YES I cant wait to get out of this state! ITS horrible!! UGH, Im originally from Nashville, TN and I HATE HATE HATE It here! ugh, next summer cant come soon enough when we get the hell out of here!!!
Funny, my sister moved from MI to TN and feels the same way... can't wait to get out of there and back to MI. I guess it just shows not everyplace is perfect for everyone.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauceToss View Post
Okay, I'll bite. What exactly do you HATE so much about MI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan