Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times

Advertisements

As many of you will already know, there are programs available for free phones for the poor, as well as the usual variety of assistance in the forms of food stamps and whatnot. Some bunko artist has put those two ideas together and has been calling people in poor neighborhoods, offering them free phones...in exchange for their Bridge card numbers. Tell your friends and neighbors not to fall for this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
What is a bridge card? I see signs "We take Bridge Cards" but I am not sure what it is. Has something to do with welfare i guess, it it the replacement for food stamps?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What is a bridge card? I see signs "We take Bridge Cards" but I am not sure what it is. Has something to do with welfare i guess, it it the replacement for food stamps?
Basically, yes. It is a replacement for food stamps. The college kids were having a lot of fun with those cards a few years ago, until they put more restrictions on it.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
As many of you will already know, there are programs available for free phones for the poor, as well as the usual variety of assistance in the forms of food stamps and whatnot. Some bunko artist has put those two ideas together and has been calling people in poor neighborhoods, offering them free phones...in exchange for their Bridge card numbers. Tell your friends and neighbors not to fall for this one!
Now that is a word that I haven't heard in a really long time.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
This scam may not work. It seems that most people with Bridge Cards already have state of the art smartphones and wouldn't be interested in the cheap government handout version (similar to mine, lol) anyway.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM

21,145 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I wonder if I can get Social Security Numbers from people in exchange for an Obama t-shirt?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times
The poor people are bankrupting this country, didn't you know? Single handedly.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
No one should EVER give out any personal information to people who call you on the phone and claim your getting something for free, or youve won a contest. NO ONE just calls you unsolicited to tell you youve "won" the money, but all you need to do is give me your account ## or your soc #. These scammers need to be in a jail cell for taking advantage of people like that. The laws on fraud and ID theft need to get ALOT tougher, these people are a threat to much of our finacial system. Because of this kind of fraud nothing can be trusted anymore. ATMs have card readers in them to get your info, telemarketing calls may be phishing calls, email may be phising attempts too. Your bank, your insurance co., your healthcare providers are now all a security risk to you, as thier employees may steal your soc # and open accounts in your name all over town. They drain your account, ruin your credit rating (which means you cant buy a house, get a job or have a life of any kind), even run up a criminal record in your name. These types of criminals do alot more damage to our society than anyone ever thinks they do. Because of all of this, nothing is trustworthy anymore. I say lock these people up forever, that will at least slow it down.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Wish I'd thought of that. I feel like I'm the only one in the store actually paying for my own groceries nowadays- oh wait, I am.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
I always thought that I was smarter than the folks on welfare.

Then I was at the grocery store the other day....

A young gal with child had a cartful of groceries and "paid" for it with an EBT card. (Az's version of bridge).

Her partner in crime, right behind her, purchased 200 bucks worth of cigs and booze.

Cash, of course.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan