Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
I've never been to Alaska, but I do have reasons to believe there are parallels between AK and the U.P. (at least in comparison to the lower peninsula). Like Alaska, the UP has wide swaths of undeveloped land, great forest cover, and somewhat isolated towns. In both resource industries are and have been a major part of the economy.

Munising, in particular, reminds me of Alaskan towns I have seen in pictures and movies, being surrounded on three sides by steep tree-covered slopes, stunning blue water in the other direction, and the islands in the water.

Perhaps MaBell knew what they were doing when they assigned the area codes 906 and 907.
As one who HAS been to Alaska, I can agree physically the similar towns and small cities. Many visitors to Alaska only see one side of the story.I have seen the real Alaska and not just the highlights afforded via Cruse Lines, their ships and their tour busses. I have seen Alaska from the slow lane, I have mixed feelings considering its future.
That said, the other part of the story is Alaska is a BIG place with its major population consentrated In the Anchorage area. There are so many places we never see and if lucky maybe via a sea/bush plane traveling to one of those remote fishing/hunting lodges. Because of it's size, it would be impossible to compair the UP with our 49 th state.
Upper Michigan does share a lot, it's just on a smaller scale. In keeping with the thoughts on population centers, Anchorage burough has upwards of 300,000 people and Marquette County in the UP has under 70,000.Both areas are about the same size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,516 times
Marquette is the better choice of the two by far! I was born and have lived in Petoskey, MI my whole life, except for a stint in the Marine Corps, and working journeyman carpenter in Los Anchorage. First I would like to point out that Traverse City is very spread out, the road system through and around town really suck (Traffic Jams in a city that size is inexcusable), people drive like lunatics in TC. I have never felt comfortable driving or even being in TC, as a matter of fact driving through Anchorage was a piece of cake compared to TC, why do you suppose that is? I left Alaska to come home to Michigan because unless you are rich you will never see Alaska. You need a plane to see Alaska, other wise there is basically one road system that you can drive on, and that really limits what you can do and see. Alaska is over populated for the area that is available, and that saddened me. I am now getting ready to move to Marquette for grad school. I have been in and around Marquette many times and have always wanted to live there. You can get everything you need in Marquette and be back out in the woods in no time at all. Peace and Quiet are very accessible in Marquette, where in TC you will never get away from the noise and pollution of people. I am not saying Traverse City is a bad place to live, I personally do not like how it operates and is way overpopulated with tourists in the summer. Anyway that's my two cents worth, and when the OP that started this thread moves back to Michigan, I would highly suggest Marquette, unless you like being surrouded by people and noise 24/7/365.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:48 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwoods View Post
Marquette is the better choice of the two by far! I was born and have lived in Petoskey, MI my whole life, except for a stint in the Marine Corps, and working journeyman carpenter in Los Anchorage. First I would like to point out that Traverse City is very spread out, the road system through and around town really suck (Traffic Jams in a city that size is inexcusable), people drive like lunatics in TC. I have never felt comfortable driving or even being in TC, as a matter of fact driving through Anchorage was a piece of cake compared to TC, why do you suppose that is? I left Alaska to come home to Michigan because unless you are rich you will never see Alaska. You need a plane to see Alaska, other wise there is basically one road system that you can drive on, and that really limits what you can do and see. Alaska is over populated for the area that is available, and that saddened me. I am now getting ready to move to Marquette for grad school. I have been in and around Marquette many times and have always wanted to live there. You can get everything you need in Marquette and be back out in the woods in no time at all. Peace and Quiet are very accessible in Marquette, where in TC you will never get away from the noise and pollution of people. I am not saying Traverse City is a bad place to live, I personally do not like how it operates and is way overpopulated with tourists in the summer. Anyway that's my two cents worth, and when the OP that started this thread moves back to Michigan, I would highly suggest Marquette, unless you like being surrouded by people and noise 24/7/365.
Part of what you are saying related to the remoteness of the UP. In general. We have one third the land mass and 2 per cent of the population.....and that's the way we like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan