Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM

95 posts, read 240,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
And honestly.......if you're already so homesick you feel the need to start blowing dough on Michigan apparel when you've already lived there forever, then maybe you shouldn't have moved to begin with.

A harsh observation, perhaps.......but take it as advice deeply rooted in experience. Unless you plan on your stay being a short one, I suggest getting to know Indiana rather than mourning over Michigan.
So, don't support your alma mater just because you don't live in the home state of your alma mater? Makes sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
They hate U of M in Indiana........go figure

Do you plan on being in Indy long? If you do.......

#1 rule when moving out of state:

Don't expect it to be like home.

#2 rule when moving out of state:

Don't try to MAKE it like home.

You've just moved to a very nice town. Embrace it. Immerse yourself in it. Adjust to it.

I promise, if you start going around sporting and saying "Michigan this and Michigan that", you will get on a lot of folks bad sides quickly......unless you just plan on finding ex-Michiganians and hanging with them exclusively, which would redefine "silly".

Take it from someone who's moved plenty. It's one thing to miss home and be proud you're from there, but it's another altogether to move somehwere and start complaining that it's not like where you came from.

And honestly.......if you're already so homesick you feel the need to start blowing dough on Michigan apparel when you've already lived there forever, then maybe you shouldn't have moved to begin with.

A harsh observation, perhaps.......but take it as advice deeply rooted in experience. Unless you plan on your stay being a short one, I suggest getting to know Indiana rather than mourning over Michigan.
I talk with Him quite often and this was not a decision he wanted to make, but one he HAD to for financial reasons. He is a Michigan guy through and through, and has plans on returning asap. If I were in his shoes I would be doing the exact same thing.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
So my wife and I walk into the store the other night. That's when it really hit me that I'm no longer home. They sell NOTHING down here for anything other than Indiana or the Colts. At least back home you can find Ohio state, Indiana, Notre Dame and other teams apparel just about anywhere. But down here they HATE Michigan. Not so much the state but the school. There is a lady with a stand at the mall who sells phone covers. ANY school you can pretty much want except Michigan. I have some Michigan clothes and my Red Wings jersey has already gotten me some pats on the back and a hug from some manager at a place we went to eat. ( let me be clear it was a female manager) She was also from Michigan and told her staff to take extra good care of us as we had 9 transplants sitting there lol
I need to stock up on Michigan shirts.
You're a Hoosier now whether you like it or not.......

I tend to blend in with Cardinals' fans while I'm sportin' my Red Wings garb.

And no one bats an eye when I wear anything Tigers, seein' how Gibby and Trammel are Diamondbacks now.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I talk with Him quite often and this was not a decision he wanted to make, but one he HAD to for financial reasons. He is a Michigan guy through and through, and has plans on returning asap. If I were in his shoes I would be doing the exact same thing.
Well, good for him if he's planning on going back ASAP, but it doesn't always work out that way, and I think a lot of us can attest to that.

Also, if he really wants to stock up on Michigan gear, there's this little invention called the internet where you can have pretty much anything you want in a matter of minutes. I'm assuming he has access to it seeing he posts in here routinely.

Clammoring about a store in Indiana not selling Michigan gear is a nice mixture of obnoxious and ignorant to me, though. May as well drive over to Columbus, OH and do the same thing for an encore.

I wouldn't do that, though.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Mr. Gatti was merely trying to have some fun with us.

I'm still looking for a decent pastie in Feeniks.

I can get Stroh's in Flagstaff.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 AM

902 posts, read 1,926,860 times
Never been there but I'm hearing a Detroit Memories group (Arizona chapter) like to visit a place in Tempe

Sunshine's Motor City Cafe
near I-10 and Elliot

coneys dogs, Vernor's, Better Made potato chips, Faygo, Sanders etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
I was just at greenwood mall just south of indy and found tigers, red wings and u of m shirts and hats. There are plenty of u of m people down here. I am actually wearing a u of m sweater my wofe bought locally in december. You just need to look at the malls. Not meijers. Look at the shirt and sports places.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 AM

893 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
So my wife and I walk into the store the other night. That's when it really hit me that I'm no longer home. They sell NOTHING down here for anything other than Indiana or the Colts. At least back home you can find Ohio state, Indiana, Notre Dame and other teams apparel just about anywhere. But down here they HATE Michigan. Not so much the state but the school. There is a lady with a stand at the mall who sells phone covers. ANY school you can pretty much want except Michigan. I have some Michigan clothes and my Red Wings jersey has already gotten me some pats on the back and a hug from some manager at a place we went to eat. ( let me be clear it was a female manager) She was also from Michigan and told her staff to take extra good care of us as we had 9 transplants sitting there lol
I need to stock up on Michigan shirts.
Sounds awesome. I'd love to live somewhere and NEVER see a UofM clothing item.

For your "problem", stop being a Walmart Wolverine - problem solved.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Sounds awesome. I'd love to live somewhere and NEVER see a UofM clothing item.

For your "problem", stop being a Walmart Wolverine - problem solved.
I'll stop being a so called wal mart Wolverine when State fan's stop being douche bags. So that would be never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan