Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,180,848 times

Advertisements

Earlier today I stopped at my insurance agent's office to pick up an insurance certificate (I have my business liability and auto insurance bundled through Farm Bureau, which helps) and the topic of high auto insurance came up. He told me that people moving here from other states frequently expressed "sticker shock" at the cost of auto insurance here.

Magellan's point about lower population density above has some merit, but when I compared my Colorado price to my Michigan one, I was moving from inner-city Denver (hardly low-density!) to Grand Blanc, which is a low-risk, low-density zip code. Since then I have moved to a higher-risk zip code and my insurance is horrible, just for PLPD.

My agent also told me that in some zip codes, like parts of Detroit, the retention rate is only about 20%, which significantly raises rates. Meaning that about 80 percent of people who buy insurance buy only a week or a month's worth in order to get their tags, then drive without for the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,165,802 times
Insurance costs in general just tick me off. When we lived in MI, my husband backed into the neighbors car by accident. First accident he had in over 20 yrs. Our rates went up, then a year later we moved to Indiana and after they did their search on us, we were deemed "high risk" because of my husband's accident. The high risk rate here was the same amount we paid in Michigan though. I now pay 825 a year for full coverage on a 2013 and basic coverage on a 2004. Getting a car plated here is pretty damn expensive though.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,389,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Insurance costs in general just tick me off. When we lived in MI, my husband backed into the neighbors car by accident. First accident he had in over 20 yrs. Our rates went up, then a year later we moved to Indiana and after they did their search on us, we were deemed "high risk" because of my husband's accident. The high risk rate here was the same amount we paid in Michigan though. I now pay 825 a year for full coverage on a 2013 and basic coverage on a 2004. Getting a car plated here is pretty damn expensive though.
If you were to have an accident....you would not get near the benefits without no-fault.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If you were to have an accident....you would not get near the benefits without no-fault.
We have had family members in accidents in no fault states (Michigan) and in at fault states (California). THe benefits were no different. Just the procedure is different.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM

40 posts, read 128,845 times
Car Insurance in MI is very overpriced. I moved to Chicago and added full coverage to my vehicle. The premium was $250 less for 6 months.

How is this possible, a car in the city is much more likely to have an "event" compared to sitting in a safe rural driveway.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM

275 posts, read 442,181 times
We moved here from Ohio last September, and we're still reeling from the sticker shock. We're paying as much for car insurance as we were paying for our house payment in Ohio. We have four cars on our insurance (two kids in college), and have to carry full coverage on two of them. We're paying about $10k per flippin' year! You want to give folks some disposable income to spend to help bolster the economy? Fix this.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,027,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Actually, not as bad of a deal as you would think. Ohio is an at fault state. When I lived there, my now ex-husband was rear ended. Not only was EVERYTHING (damages, lost wages, medical plus "settlement") paid for quickly, but they were extremely pleasant to deal with AND it didn't get reflected on his driving record. The payout was actually a more rounded payout than what Michigan offers in a similar situation as MI doesn't have the settlement.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,108,273 times
I understand the opponents of no-fault insurance and the reasons why.....it costs a lot.

I'm gonna tell ya though....I pay the same for car insurance here in AZ as I did in MI.

I pay higher premiums to cover my arse if I get injured and the guy that hit me has minimum coverage.

These folks with minimum coverage usually don't have the means to cover my medical expenses, vehicle damage, etc.

Sue 'em all ya want....what will ya get?

Nada.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,935,781 times
Michigan higher than New Jersey? Florida number 34? The survey seems dubious.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 AM

902 posts, read 1,928,307 times
Michigan motorists to pay more for car insurance beginning in July | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan