Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:22 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times

Advertisements

No need to be sorry for your post, OP! That cold, crisp air feels so good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I am bucking the trend of all the negative threads, and putting in this positive one.
I LOVE this weather! I love the snow, the cold, and the driving. Granted I do not have to drive a busy expressway because I work from home, but I do work in my unheated garage everyday.
I did drive to Traverse City today and they had 6-7" of new snow and it was beautiful!
The only thing I cannot understand is how people forget to drive in the snow?? I remembered as soon as I took off! lol But I did not see any people in ditches or accidents, so that is good to see.
Anyways, as I sit here working in my garage watching the snow come down..I am one happy camper. Let it snow!!

Good for you, I know lots of people love this cold weather. Not me, I'm just trying to deal with it.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
I love winter, too. I get excited when it snows, because I like being out in it - even shoveling. I love the way it glistens and how peaceful it is. I like getting cold air in my lungs.

I only wish that the snow stayed white. * sigh *

Old 11-15-2014, 04:24 PM

251 posts, read 299,721 times
If it wasn't for me having to catch the bus, I wouldn't mind winter. Otherwise it's OK with me.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:25 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Snow MAP!!! Lake effect in dark blue. For tonight through mid-day Sunday.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I am bucking the trend of all the negative threads, and putting in this positive one.
I LOVE this weather! I love the snow, the cold, and the driving. Granted I do not have to drive a busy expressway because I work from home, but I do work in my unheated garage everyday.
I did drive to Traverse City today and they had 6-7" of new snow and it was beautiful!
The only thing I cannot understand is how people forget to drive in the snow?? I remembered as soon as I took off! lol But I did not see any people in ditches or accidents, so that is good to see.
Anyways, as I sit here working in my garage watching the snow come down..I am one happy camper. Let it snow!!
Yes, love the snow I was up close to the UP today (Vilas County, WI) and conditions were awesome! 1-2 ft of snow on the ground and some lakes already frozen.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:02 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Wind will come into play Monday evening along with more snow. Don't expect to be able to travel on 94 or 96

Old 11-16-2014, 03:53 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
I'm loving reading this thread... (the U.P. which I've visited twice now, once in summer and once in fall, holds a special place in my heart) I'm born and raised in Southern California, (lived here all my life) and now that it's cooled off into the 70's, I can finally sit outside on the little patio of my apartment and enjoy being outside.
I hibernate here when it's hot, and over 80 degree weather, (even reaching 90's) dragged right into early November!
However, we are able to take walks at night during the summer pretty much mosquito free.

So question... I've heard the term Lake Effect snow, is that when the mist from the water turns into snow and blows onto the land? Is it colder than regular snow?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2014, 04:08 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I'm loving reading this thread... (the U.P. which I've visited twice now, once in summer and once in fall, holds a special place in my heart) I'm born and raised in Southern California, (lived here all my life) and now that it's cooled off into the 70's, I can finally sit outside on the little patio of my apartment and enjoy being outside.
I hibernate here when it's hot, and over 80 degree weather, (even reaching 90's) dragged right into early November!
However, we are able to take walks at night during the summer pretty much mosquito free.

So question... I've heard the term Lake Effect snow, is that when the mist from the water turns into snow and blows onto the land? Is it colder than regular snow?

Thanks!
Nope, lake effect usually comes in squalls, is usually lighter, warmer, and fluffier. Those conditions also keep the immediate lakeshore warmer.
Michigan Interactive USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Yes, it is created over the lakes and generally flows southeasterly, but sometimes directly east as it did last week.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:29 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

Thanks!
Mostly caused when cold air flows over the the warmer lakes, and causes bands of heavy snow..sometimes only a few miles wide, but very long. If you get caught in a heavy band..and it does not move, you get a TON of snow in a very short time. Sometimes 4-5" per hour. They usually wobble around, but some spots get it all day long. Lake effect snow is awesome, and like Like detwahDJ said, it is usually fluffier...so that's why it piles up so fast. We had 3-1/2 feet of snow on the ground last Winter here and it was mostly lake effect. In fact, we have a very powerful cold front moving in tomorrow and Tuesday, so they are calling for 8-12" here. It has been lake effect snowing all day, and we have about 9-10" on the ground now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan