Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times

Advertisements

What are some of your favorite "Michiganisms" - i.e. stuff you hear frequently in MI but probably not too much elsewhere?

"Up North" is definitely one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,049 times
I've heard about those really rich, gooey donuts here (for the life of me, I can't recall the name at the moment, lol)- seems to me I heard about those when I was in Canada as well, but outside of here and Canada, never heard of them in my life-lol~~oh, and I've never heard of Sweetest Day- funny, I heard of that in Canada as well- but never in Cali- Hm....are you sure MI isn't part of Canada? lol~

Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,049 times
You know, that's the funny thing about the U.S.- you can go from state to state, and it's like being in a different country in each one- talk about diversity!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
You know, that's the funny thing about the U.S.- you can go from state to state, and it's like being in a different country in each one- talk about diversity!
It's even dramatically different in different parts of the same state(s). I find it interesting how Western UPers pronounce "o" words. Like pot is pronounced "pawt". Or Scott is pronounced "Scawt". Which is a lot like Northern Wisconsiners and Minnesotans talk.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,821 times
Using our hands as a map is definetely all Michigan~

Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
"Pop"

"freeway"

sticking an "s" on the end of names and nouns. ("I am going to Targets to buy some pop")

Calling California "Cali" (I lived in California for 18 years, still work there, and never heard that from anyone but Michiganders).

"Paczki" (Sure it must be used in Poland, but is it a festival anywhere but here?)

Hoagies.

"troll" - people who live in the L.P.

Yoopers.

"the Bridge" as if there is only one in the whole world.

"rencen" Renaissance Center - probably because no one can spell the full name.

"DEEtroit"

"mackinaw" for a word spelled Mack-in-nack

Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 AM

447 posts, read 1,245,640 times
Actually, "Troll" is a loving term for those who live "beneath the bridge", given by those who live in da UP, eh?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
"Pop"

Calling California "Cali" (I lived in California for 18 years, still work there, and never heard that from anyone but Michiganders).
Really? I never heard it UNTIL I moved to Cali
Party Stores, I use that term anywhere but MI and people send me to party supply places when all I want is a bit of liquor.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Really? I never heard it UNTIL I moved to Cali

Maybe it is a north/south thing. We lived in Southern California. I only heard "Cali" used by visiting or newly arrived Michiganders and then when I moved here, I hear it all the time.

I used to see natives/long term residents correct newcomers. "This is California. We NEVER call it "Cali" That is for tourists." The other one that people got all worked up over is people saying "The O.C." That is a TV show that residents tend to hate because of the way it represents the county. To residents it is either just "O.C." or Orange County. (Unless you live in L.A., then it is "Behind the Orange Curtain").

Some people got really worked up about it, especially "The OC" (We did not hear "Cali" very often except from "Michi's") I never really cared. Just thought it was funny.

A couple of other Michiganisms occurred to me:

There is a pastry puff thing with meat, potatoes and spices in it that you mostly see up north. I cannot remember what it is called. It kind of reminds me of an Empanada. I had never seen that name before. It had something strange like rutabaga, or turnip or something in it too. Tasty though.

"I live in the thumb"

"I go to State" Or "I am a State fan"

"Budder" for Butter.

"Brudder" for brother

Lawyer is also pronounced differently, but I do not know the phonetics for it.

The top of your house is called the "ruff"

Also the tendency to smash words together seems more prevalent here than other places. "I'll meecha there at 2 o'clock" "Ill betcha dunno what I know." "Whacha doin?" "hasitgoin?" or "hayadoin?"

"Euchre" is a term that seems to be unique to Michigan. Mostly because no one else knows what it is.

"Make a Michigan Left" is also a term I had not heard before moving back here. I have not seen that set up in any other State.

I have heard a rolling stop referred to as a "Michigan stop" however I have no idea whether other states claim it as their unique local practice (i.e. in Ohio is it called an "Ohio stop"?)

Not a word, but a practice that is unique here as far as I know is stopping at yellow lights. Most places that I have been/lived, you get rear ended if you stop on a yellow. The people behind you are speeding up to get through the light and expect you to speed up too.

Tailgating is an art form in Michigan. People tailgate when they are the only two cars on the whole freeway.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I've heard about those really rich, gooey donuts here (for the life of me, I can't recall the name at the moment, lol)- seems to me I heard about those when I was in Canada as well, but outside of here and Canada, never heard of them in my life-lol~~oh, and I've never heard of Sweetest Day- funny, I heard of that in Canada as well- but never in Cali- Hm....are you sure MI isn't part of Canada? lol~
The donuts...do you mean paczki?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan