Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2006, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 27,639 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any ideas for MUST SEE places around Mackinac City &/or Mackinac Island. Thanks in advance! Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 35,383 times
Yep, lots of things to see around Mackinac-----Taquamenon Falls in the upper peninsula, not too far over the Mackinac Bridge. There is also the "Soo Locks" in Sault Ste. Marie, also just a short drive over the bridge in the upper peninsula. The White Fish Point Maritime Lighthouse and Museum; lots of Edmund Fitzgerald artifacts there. The Straits of Mackinac in Cheboygan, etc., Drummond Island, St. Ignace.....I could go on and on.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 49,295 times
Not sure if you are into bike riding or not, but about 25 miles south of Mackinac is a twon called Petoskey. There is a beautiful bike path between Petoskey and Charlevoix. This path also takes you right by Bay Harbor which is a very nice and wealthy community. It may not be as exciting as the falls or the locks but it might sound fun to you. Also depending on when you are up there may be a festival of some sort going on in one of the neighboring towns.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:28 AM

25 posts, read 148,422 times
The Grand Hotel. Just beautiful. The Island is like another world. Absolutely charming.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Tours of the cooper mines, loved them!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:13 PM

40 posts, read 176,701 times
Default Things to do near Mackinaw City

I love the Mackinac Island/Mackinaw city area. The first and most obvious thing to do is to see the bridge! If the weather permits, a picnic lunch at the base of the bridge on the south side is always in order for me. I'd suggest a pasty with ketchup.
In my opinion, Mackinawa city is way too over commercialized. The motels/hotels are way over-priced and a lot of the souvenir shops sell junk. I would recommend a visit to Ft. Michilimackinac at the foot of the bridge. It's a trip through time and a great way to learn about the history of Michigan from the time of the earliest European settlement.
Just driving across the bridge is an experience in itself. A lot of the native culture still exists in nearby St. Ignace. The lodging is more reasonably priced than in Mackinaw City, and you still have ferry access to Mackinac Island.
The Island is a world unto itself. It truly is a step back in time. I would definately recommend a visit, but it's expensive. From the ferry ride to the food, and everything you can see and do, be prepared to open your wallet on the Island. A night in the cheapest hotel during peak summer season probably isn't any less than $200-250 per night. (you can spend a lot more too, but off season rates are somewhat cheaper)
Back in the U.P., I love Sault Ste. Marie. Just seeing the locks with the freighters motoring through is a treat. It's an engineering wonder. I took the boat tour through the locks one year and that was a lot of fun.
Taquamenon Falls are in the general area too, and are certainly worth a day trip. Drummond Island is a bit of a wilderness experience, if that's what you're interested in. I also love the drive along U.S. 2 heading to Manistique. There are lots of places to stop and enjoy the sandy northern shore of Lake Michigan.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirsk View Post
Not sure if you are into bike riding or not, but about 25 miles south of Mackinac is a twon called Petoskey. There is a beautiful bike path between Petoskey and Charlevoix. This path also takes you right by Bay Harbor which is a very nice and wealthy community. It may not be as exciting as the falls or the locks but it might sound fun to you. Also depending on when you are up there may be a festival of some sort going on in one of the neighboring towns.

Its closer to 50 miles to Petoskey from Mackinac. Try driving down 119 from Harbor Springs to Cross Villiage. Its called the Tunnel of Trees, very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan