Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:57 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,809 times

Advertisements

As you can (hopefully), tell by the title, i am planning to get involved in forestry (as a forester), and the Great Lakes Region is one of the locations i would want to live in. Therefore, i feel like asking here how the industry is in both the Northern Penninsula, and for the Northern Southern Penninsula (north of Traverse city preferably, but no further south than bay city).

I am talking both Private Forestry (logging/consulting/private conservation), and public forestry (working for the govt, normally as a ranger of sorts, though i wouldnt want to be a park/forest ranger as they relocate alot more than a normal forester (try every 5 years at the max for the first 10-15 years, normally every year, whereas a private forester, or a govt consulting forester can stay in one spot for around 5 years at the minimum, unless the budget gets cut).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 05:48 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
I live in Northern Lower and see/hear cutting all the time. Log trucks are everywhere.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:20 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
The logging industry seems to be more prevalent in the Upper Peninsula (we refer to them as Upper/Lower Peninsula. The Traverse City area would be referred to as Northern Lower). So if you work in private industry, I would imagine there are quite a few more opportunities up there.

From what I understand, Michigan has the largest state forest system in the U.S. So there must be opportunities working for the state of Michigan as well. Just FYI, the more heavily forested areas begin further to the south on the west side of the lower peninsula. The Manistee National Forest is only 30-45 miles north of Grand Rapids.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:15 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Not sure if this is the type of job you will be looking for, but this is an example of a job in the northern lower peninsula: Forest Technician 8-E10, Mio Field Office - Mio, MI - Indeed Mobile

Old 06-24-2016, 05:21 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I live in Northern Lower and see/hear cutting all the time. Log trucks are everywhere.
Yeah...I think it's disgusting how much they are clear-cutting our public forest lands. Both the state and federal governments seem to be mismanaging our forests. It's especially bad in the northeast part of the Lower Peninsula. If you use Google Earth--or any satellite imagery--you will see vast tracts of clear cuts. When you drive in those areas, you'll just note a thin buffer which is left along the roadways--trying to hide the devastation from the public eye. (And these aren't clear cuts as part of Kirkland's Warbler management.) Many of these lands were planted by CCC crews in the 1930s. They're finally getting to the point where they could managed be for diversity, enhancing forest characteristics. Instead, they're being clear cut--back to square one. It seems that the Michigan Department of Natural Resources is trying to live up to its old moniker: DNR - Do Nothing Right.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:33 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Yeah...I think it's disgusting how much they are clear-cutting our public forest lands. Both the state and federal governments seem to be mismanaging our forests. It's especially bad in the northeast part of the Lower Peninsula. If you use Google Earth--or any satellite imagery--you will see vast tracts of clear cuts. When you drive in those areas, you'll just note a thin buffer which is left along the roadways--trying to hide the devastation from the public eye. (And these aren't clear cuts as part of Kirkland's Warbler management.) Many of these lands were planted by CCC crews in the 1930s. They're finally getting to the point where they could managed be for diversity, enhancing forest characteristics. Instead, they're being clear cut--back to square one. It seems that the Michigan Department of Natural Resources is trying to live up to its old moniker: DNR - Do Nothing Right.
Yup, I hate it.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The logging industry seems to be more prevalent in the Upper Peninsula (we refer to them as Upper/Lower Peninsula. The Traverse City area would be referred to as Northern Lower). So if you work in private industry, I would imagine there are quite a few more opportunities up there.

From what I understand, Michigan has the largest state forest system in the U.S. So there must be opportunities working for the state of Michigan as well. Just FYI, the more heavily forested areas begin further to the south on the west side of the lower peninsula. The Manistee National Forest is only 30-45 miles north of Grand Rapids.
Thanks for the info. Now apart from state/feds, are there any major landowners who do logging, ir forest managent?

I know in maine they are Irving woodlands, prentiss and carlisse, orion, and others.

That technition jobs is actually likely what i would start out as once i got a degree (a few do jump right into forester/forestry consultant, but it is rare, and normally they got a masters).

@others, forestry is both logging, and sustaining/conserving/preserving/ect the forest. It can be management for the betterment of the land, or for the benefit of some guys wallet, normally it is a mix of both, as a healthy forest tends to give better quality logs/wood, and more of it. Clearcutting is also not as bad, and is allowed alot less on National Parks, National Forests tend to have more logging (although there are many exceptions). As well, clearcuts can be both good and bad, and more often than not they are a mix, partly becuase they allow more species to grow. This intire nation has had things similar to clearcuts theoughout time. Out west you have forest fires, and some tribes did do logging. Out east (anything east of the mississipi) you have the tribes doing slash and burn to make fields (slash and burn tends to be alot more devasting than a simple clear cut). Also, leaving leaves and branches on the ground, actually helps the forest, as they will decompose, sending neutreants back into the soil for the future trees to use.

I am not saying lets slash and burn everything, or clear cut it all, and i also feel in some areas we log abit to much, but it is needed, and healthy to do. It can also be safer for the forest as a whole depending on the stands health, as dead/dying trees make great tinder for a fire, so when a stand of trees is near dead, it is better to log it to save the rest of the forest. Once again, it is neither good nor bad, but it depends on many factors, i can not speak for MI, as i have never been there, but i can speak about forestry statistics as a whole based on research and reading on my own time

Old 06-26-2016, 01:47 PM

126 posts, read 121,036 times
I live near TC, in Wexford County. You need to come out and see for yourself, see what you think. Lots of logging, lots of forestry, but you might do better over in the direction of Gaylord.. .

Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 AM

22 posts, read 43,131 times
That clearcutting is still widely practiced in the northern L.P. is very disappointing to hear.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:11 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Woodsman View Post
That clearcutting is still widely practiced in the northern L.P. is very disappointing to hear.
The extent of the clearcutting is really disappointing. I have a cottage in the area, so I see more and more devastation each year. I've made special trips to New Hampshire to view their forestry practices on public land--as well as trips to the U.P. to see some forestry practices on some of the private lands up there. None of those compare to the wholesale clearcuts which they're doing in the Northeast Lower. It's really a shame.

Here's but one example, and they keep on expanding the clearcut areas each year:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4116...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan