Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,080 times

Advertisements

Is Michigan a good/welcoming place for conservatives ?

Last edited by mjlo; 05-18-2017 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: Troll clean up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I am very conservative and live in an inner ring suburb of Detroit. I've never had a problem. Plenty of Trump supporters. People generally don't talk politics; there is so much else to talk about. I don't think the social liberalism is as bad as the Left Coast. Plenty of religious and family oriented people here. A few areas where the hard core liberals congregate, like Ferndale and Royal Oak in the Detroit area.

I wouldn't let it deter you.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Yeah, I'm rather liberal and live among the liberal enclaves Retroit mentioned, but I don't hate on conservatives. I get that you're just another person with similar wants and goals in life to me. We might disagree on how to best obtain those things, but as long as you can respect that I too have my convictions and simply because they are different from yours does not make me wrong I can certainly offer you the same respect.

Michigan is a surprisingly moderate state compared to places I've lived. Metro Detroit tends to skew a bit liberal and the rest of the state tends to skew a bit conservative, but overall it's pretty balanced. You'll find people you disagree with, but like I said, just don't be a dick about it and it'll be rare that you'll find yourself unwelcome due to any political leanings you hold. If you come here with the belief that "Liberals are all lazy guud fer nuthin garbage 'n' I hate 'em" - then you'll probably encounter issues. There are very few politically homogeneous places in the state. Ann Arbor has conservatives, and Grand Haven has liberals. It's best if you learn to get along with those who differ from you.

Like Retroit and I. We agree on just about nothing, but he's a cool guy (wait, you're a guy, right?) and in the end we both typically want to see a healthy, successful Michigan.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Trump won most counties in the southern half of the state by very slim margins and pretty much all counties had at least 25% or more go to Hilary. I mean, Trump won Michigan by only 10,000-ish votes. In a state of 10 million-ish people that's a pretty narrow margin. There's plenty other states that are a lot more conservative than Michigan.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I am very conservative and live in an inner ring suburb of Detroit. I've never had a problem. Plenty of Trump supporters. People generally don't talk politics; there is so much else to talk about. I don't think the social liberalism is as bad as the Left Coast. Plenty of religious and family oriented people here. A few areas where the hard core liberals congregate, like Ferndale and Royal Oak in the Detroit area.

I wouldn't let it deter you.

Thanks for the info

Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
Look into the most Western end of the UP. Ironwood for example. Michigan as a whole is middle of the road. Maybe in some remote town in the UP you would be happy.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:28 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Trump won most counties in the southern half of the state by very slim margins and pretty much all counties had at least 25% or more go to Hilary. I mean, Trump won Michigan by only 10,000-ish votes. In a state of 10 million-ish people that's a pretty narrow margin. There's plenty other states that are a lot more conservative than Michigan.
Actually I think Hilary won the popular vote in Michigan. But yea there are places far more conservative than Michigan. BUT, Michigan is a pretty big state and as long as you stick to the rural areas you'll be fine. As for cities Macomb county and Grand Rapids are pretty middle of the road where you will probably find both left wings and right wings.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:43 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Even though this thread was started by the OP in order to troll Michiganders I am going to leave it open. Perhaps out of spite since the OP asserted that I was trying to censor this discussion on the premise that I'm gay, and not because the things he was saying were obvious attempts at starting a flame war. In any case it annoys me that person (bless his heart) leveraged my sexuality to determine my political views, when i'm generally regarded as a little bit right of Attilla the Hun. I take enough flack from my more liberal friends for not letting them bully me into their ideology I won't have it on here.

In any case if people would like to actually continue this discussion they are welcome. Geo Aggie, Retroit, thanks for keeping it classy in your response, well played. I've always found Michigan as a place that is pretty laid back toward all views, you guys help maintain that impression.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Avoid Ann Arbor and you will be fine. Most places are a mix of viewpoints or are pretty open minded and accepting. (Ann Arbor is not at all open minded and accepting). Some places are overwhelmingly conservative. Detroit is very liberal but even there, people are tolerant of other viewpoints.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Even though this thread was started by the OP in order to troll Michiganders I am going to leave it open. Perhaps out of spite since the OP asserted that I was trying to censor this discussion on the premise that I'm gay, and not because the things he was saying were obvious attempts at starting a flame war. In any case it annoys me that person (bless his heart) leveraged my sexuality to determine my political views, when i'm generally regarded as a little bit right of Attilla the Hun. I take enough flack from my more liberal friends for not letting them bully me into their ideology I won't have it on here.

In any case if people would like to actually continue this discussion they are welcome. Geo Aggie, Retroit, thanks for keeping it classy in your response, well played. I've always found Michigan as a place that is pretty laid back toward all views, you guys help maintain that impression.
Ah, this makes sense. I wondered why someone would start such a strange topic. Thanks mjlo for keeping it classy as well (I don't always do my best, lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan