Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan: social programs, parenting help, advice, lawyer, news.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:10 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen
What are you referring to, intervene on what? The lemonade thing is over, the kids back with his dad.
How old are you? You think that the lemonade situation blew open the doors on the government and all the incompetent and elitist individuals were chased out? You think a bunch of laws changed? You think the damaged done to that kid and family has been somehow compensated?

This situation-- in addition to all the other crap going on there-- is symptomatic of a systemic problem. A problem with the powerholding portion of the electorate.

What? Do you think something like this happened in some sort of bubble? Where supervisors and co-workers and citizens hadn't been exposed to what was there for a long time?

When an organization-- in this case the gov-- does something bad, it happened between the culture had declined to that level. It's not happenstance that bad things happen. It's a result of many decisions.

Quote:
I'm not saying it doesn't, but as far as this little event, it's tiny I said "practically irrelevant" and on that I am right.
As stated several times, it adds to the perception.

Further, do you think anyone with half a brain would move to a state that is taking kids away for things this stupid? Not a chance. Airheads would move there. Thoughtful people would consider it as I've stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85
Colorado and Oregon are scenic but aren't that great.
Equally relevant: Two birds in a tree sing pretty.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,201,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
How old are you? You think that the lemonade situation blew open the doors on the government and all the incompetent and elitist individuals were chased out? You think a bunch of laws changed? You think the damaged done to that kid and family has been somehow compensated?

This situation-- in addition to all the other crap going on there-- is symptomatic of a systemic problem. A problem with the powerholding portion of the electorate.

What? Do you think something like this happened in some sort of bubble? Where supervisors and co-workers and citizens hadn't been exposed to what was there for a long time?

When an organization-- in this case the gov-- does something bad, it happened between the culture had declined to that level. It's not happenstance that bad things happen. It's a result of many decisions.

As stated several times, it adds to the perception.

Further, do you think anyone with half a brain would move to a state that is taking kids away for things this stupid? Not a chance. Airheads would move there. Thoughtful people would consider it as I've stated.

Equally relevant: Two birds in a tree sing pretty.

How old are you?

Do you think the rest of the country is a utopia and Michigan is the only place with problems? Do you think Michigan is the only place kids have been taken away for stupid reasons?

It appears you are only capable of thinking about Michigan, and nothing else. I live in the world, I see beyond Michigan. I can't relate to your mindset, maybe someone else can help you.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Do you think the rest of the country is a utopia and Michigan is the only place with problems?
No. However, I'm experienced enough to know that if you get caught doing something wrong, it's not because they were lucky, it's because you were doing stuff wrong so much, that you finally walked into getting caught.

Things have to be pretty frequent and pretty bad for the national news to pick it up. The news story is only the tip of an ice-berg.

Quote:
It appears you are only capable of thinking about Michigan, and nothing else. I live in the world, I see beyond Michigan.
With all due respect, then you haven't been around. Every region is different and places within a region are different.

I could go on for an hour about the differences between the cultures of CO, OR and MI. I could spend some time on cultural differences between the East and the South I've experienced visiting family. And the cultures aren't just a little different; it's not just a prevalence of certain foods or accents; they're vastly different.

Why do crime rates from city to city change? Because the people within those boundaries are a little different. Why wouldn't you expect a significant difference between states?

Government is regional. It shows the world the values of the people who empower it. Spend a month reading the front pages of four or five big newspapers. You'll see how dramatic one area can be from another. This mess that Michigan is in, and these stories today reinforce, are because of the culture of MI.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM

No one has said places aren't different, I have lived all over the country, of course there are different cultures. There is good and bad everywhere.

If that story is the tip of the iceberg, please post something showing the rest of the iceberg in Michigan. I'd also like to see why it is that it could only happen in Michigan, show me what other states are doing so differently.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,964 times
A guy from Farmington hills, MI just got first place on wheel of fortune. Now the whole countries perspective of this state has changed!(according to One thousand)

Old 04-30-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
A guy from Farmington hills, MI just got first place on wheel of fortune. Now the whole countries perspective of this state has changed!(according to One thousand)
YEEEESSSSS!!!!!! I'M GOING TO BE RICH!!!!!!! WE ALL ARE! WHOO HOOO!

Everyone will want to move here now!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
LOVE it! HAHAHAHA! Good one.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
With all due respect, then you haven't been around. Every region is different and places within a region are different.

I could go on for an hour about the differences between the cultures of CO, OR and MI. I could spend some time on cultural differences between the East and the South I've experienced visiting family. And the cultures aren't just a little different; it's not just a prevalence of certain foods or accents; they're vastly different.
So just visiting an area makes you know all the nuances and the entire culture of that area now? I have LIVED in the South, and the East and Michigan. I will take the "culture" of the people of Michigan any day over those other areas.

You are right though, Michigan is again in the news. Here is a recent item, from today that can be found on MSNBC which if I am not mistaken is pretty National when it comes to news.
Boy Scout returns wallet with $800 - Wonderful World - MSNBC.com

Here is one that while local, is spreading fast and I have no doubt a national news agency will pick it up. It shows the Michigan "culture" in a splendid way: WZZM13 - Ludington winner gives truck to co-worker
And the full original news story: Ludington Daily News - News

Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,997 times
i use to live in detroit. the city doesnt make itself bad the people living there does. and yes he deserved to lose cutody of his child.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM

Please don't feed the Trolls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan